Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my living room!
Angela Palcu
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have a big living room and some old furniture, but now it's time for a new one. We also need to change the wall colors, and the curtains. Sometimes in the future (when our two boys will grow up and not harm the floor anymore) i'm thinking to change the laminate flooring with a white&grey neutral one.The living room is very big and bright (some photos are taken at evening). I would like to keep the chandelier and the rug. Any hints & example pictures, please? Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
Paint the walls a darker color. Raise the curtain rods up to almost the ceiling height and get some longer drapery panels in a coordinating color. I would start by picking out new furniture and then let the paint and drapery color choices coordinate with your new furniture. Build a custom console similar to your TV media stand to help conceal the radiator.

Not really a fan of your current chandelier. It casts odd lighting spots and looks harsh.
November 29, 2012 at 6:45AM   
charleee
Your area rug appears to have a strong color. When you buy your new furniture, stick to either light beige or light gray. I would then paint the walls the same color as the furniture, but darker. You have a lot of natural light so this should be ok. Pick some throw pillows that have the rug and furniture color in them.

For a more modern look, choose wooden blinds, or bottom up shades:

Bottom up shades: [houzz=Hillgrove]

Wood blinds: [houzz=Levolor 2" Premium Wood Blinds from Blinds.com]
November 29, 2012 at 6:59AM   
Angela Palcu
Don't know what kind of sofa's and funrniture to buy :( i forgot to specify that
November 29, 2012 at 7:16AM   
Angela Palcu
@mmilos Thank you for your suggestions :) The fact is that if i would move the curtain rods, then the curtains should be 3 meters long, which is difficult to find and buy. Alsi, it is very difficult to make another holes for the curtain rods because that area is a iron-cement belt. But i agree with you that it will look better closer to the ceiling.
November 29, 2012 at 7:23AM   
mmilos
If that's the case, you may just want to put in blinds or shades for a cleaner/contemporary look.

Since your room has a contemporary feel, I'd choose sleeker contemporary furnishings. I don't like the cheap overstuffed Ashley style furniture.

Something like these:
Tyler Sofa | Mitchell Gold
Harrison Sofa
Dexter Leather Collection Sofa, No Buttons
November 29, 2012 at 7:44AM     
PRO
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
You can conceal the radiator with an art tile facade.
November 29, 2012 at 8:17AM   
Natalie
Hi---rug is way too small for your space, unless you want to tighten up your furniture grouping. I would paint the walls a soft gray, add a patterned rug, and hang window panels across the entire wall of windows---panels on either side of windows behind sofa. Wallpaper or paint inside of shelving/niche area for added interest. I suggest a large sofa or sectional for this space. Pics for inspiration-hope it's helpful. Good Luck! [houzz=][houzz=Bruce Avenue Residence Lower-Level Family Room 4][houzz=Personal Home Tour]http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/momeni-sum3/blue/126SUM3BLU-203.html
November 29, 2012 at 8:58AM     
Angela Palcu
Thank you all for your good suggestions! Now i know what to look for when i will go shopping ;)
December 2, 2012 at 1:48AM     
More Discussions
Remodeling resale
which is worse for resale removing bedroom for living...
How about this LOFT?!
We have an unfinished loft that will become a room...
Need space that is functional
One year ago we bought a 1 bed, 1 bath (and what feels...
half bathroom ceiling color
I have painted my small hallway half bath walls a stone...
This house needs your attention please !!!!
Our house needs serious help , facelift , exterior...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.