powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Where to put the console table and what to put above it?
nixx22
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi Have a design Dilemma. I don't know where to put my mirrored console table or the huge mirror we just purchased. My husband thinks it's too much mirror. I agree. The point of getting the large mirror though was to expand the space and also reflect the light coming in from the large living room window. I need some serious design advice and suggestions. I was thinking of doing a vignette above the console but not sure if that would compete with the busy photo wall.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nixx22
Here are some other places I have tried the mirrored console table. I also need to figure out what do to with the large mirror with shelf. One poster suggested I lower it. Super heavy but I will get my husband to do that.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:57AM
nixx22
Here are some other places I have tried the mirrored console table. I also need to figure out what do to with the large mirror with shelf. One poster suggested I lower it. Super heavy but I will get my husband to do that.
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 7:57AM
nixx22
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 7:57AM
Kim D
you need serious design help "NOT"...this place is gorg!!! You have a great eye and all pieces look great in all the locations that you have had them. I guess its just a matter of you and hubby's personal taste at this point. Looks professional if you ask me.
3 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:10AM
PRO
Chambers
The house, at least what you've shown us, is well put together. I think if you leave the console in the dining area you really have to move the mirror down, almost touching the top of the console...that way it reads as a mirrored unit, each piece visually relating to the other. That said, however, it's very disconcerting to sit at the table and look at yourself, which the diners facing the mirror and console would do if the mirror was lower. However, the mirror must have something under it to anchor it...it's visually too heavy to hang there by itself. Perhaps something on the console that would block the reflection of guests would work. I also like the console in the living room, very pretty, but you still need something under the (lowered) mirror. Maybe a floating shelf in black lacquer would work. Hope this is helpful. Sorry for your husband having to lower that mirror, though! But it really has to be done.
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 8:18AM
PRO
the essentials inside
nixx22 - I agree w/rivers300 - your place is gorgeous. I like the mirrored console table where you have it in the first pic - under the giant mirror, though I would lower the big mirror to just a little above the mirrored console, as I guess someone else suggested.

So now it just a question of what to do with the rectangular wall mirror?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
2 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:24AM
Natalie
Gorgeous Space! If you leave it on the wall with the mirror-then lower the mirror---or mount a chunky floating shelf below it... I do love the console in front of the window and the BIG paintings. :)
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:36AM
nixx22
I could get rid of that small mirror I was just testing it out. I could put the artwork back and finish painting it.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:40AM
nixx22
I'll repost when we lower the mirror. I'm hoping it will still showcase the height of the ceilings. I'm also going to lower my pictures on our photo wall and do some re-arranging of pictures on that wall.

Any thoughts on what and how it might look if we painted the staircase posts and instep white? I love it when I see it in houses and in the magazines but not sure if that would enhance our space or not.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 9:14AM
janishill
I agree with Chambers. Lower the mirror so it reads as one unit.

You've done a great job so far and there is no reason to think you won't continue!
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 9:25AM
Natalie
If you want to draw attention to the staircase, then paint it as you suggested. Glad you're going to lower your photos, they are too high. As a rule---when hanging things THE CENTER of art, mirror, collage, etc. should measure 57-60 inches from the floor. Have fun...
3 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 9:25AM
mpoulsom
Beautiful living area! I like the console table in front of the window in the living room personally. After you lower the collage of pictures on that wall, paint your vent cover the same color as the wall paint so it doesn't stand out as much, or get a beautiful decorative one that goes with the rest of your room style. Very pretty!!!!
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 9:34AM
nixx22
Okay thanks for the great suggestions. Does the room feel too sparce or cold in the dining area? I'm at a loss for how to warm up that space. Maybe with the finished painting I can get it to look better. Not sure. Feeling overwhelmed.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:48AM
PRO
the essentials inside
nixx22 - Your home is fabulous already - no need to worry. Now it is just the tweaking - which is really fun!

I'd suggest taking the collage of small pictures on the wall down & turning those pictures into larger works of art or a more linear group of photos. You could also put some of the photos in larger frames & sit them on the mirrored console under the bigger mirror.

Here are just a couple of ideas - though I would add some color to the pictures/frames or mats:

Focal point wall in new living room

Wayne Thiebaud Print Display

Ritz Carlton Baltimore

Living Room / Dining Room.

Also -

Yes, I agree painting the staircase would work.

I can't tell from the pictures but I'm wondering whether the dining room chandelier is a little too high - Houzzers what do you think?

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 11:22AM
judianna20
Great suggestion on what to do with the pictures. The Ritz Carlton pix is perfect. If you framed them in silver frames could the mirrored console go under them?
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 11:31AM
sweetsy
Fabulous room--many excellent suggestions; lower the picture frames and change that arrangement up. Definitely lower the dining room light fixture. It is too high. I vote absolutely for painting the stair treads and spindles white and leave the steps and the rail, stained. That will be dramatic and lighten up so that they are more cohesive with the rest of the light and bright rooms. You have done a fantastic job! Keep it up!
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 12:05PM
janishill
Good idea judyg.
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 12:34PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Looking for other things, came across this --

Thought it was a cute idea for the x-large wall mirror - dress it up for the holidays maybe. Though I'd do a colored letter.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 1:26PM
nixx22
My husband and I attempted to move the huge heavy mirror last night so that we could lower it. Well I told my husband I would keep it upright (it was resting on the dining table) while he stood back to look at it...and I tried to pull it a little bit towards me and the whole mirror came crashing down and on my hand. Needless to say I was in complete agony i thought I broke a few bones in my right hand. It was extremely swollen and the palm of my hand and other side is completely swollen. I almost went to emerg last night but didn't want to wait forever. My hubby went and bought me extra strength advil took that and it helped big time. I'm icing the hand and the swelling went down a little.

so now I have a mirror that I just bought(wasn't cheap) and the top half is broken. The bottom half is still in tact. My husband suggested we get something smaller and without a shelf. I was thinking of trying to get the top half of the mirror replaced/repaied. I also thought that perhaps a vignette of a mirror, art work/b&w print and a vase on that wall might be better. Instead of the whole wall being that huge mirror. What do you all think.

I could fix the mirror and then try to sell it online.

Advice.

P.S. my glass console also chipped in the top corner and I have to try and glue back the little chunk of glass that broke off the top. Arrggghhh
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 9:50AM
nixx22
My husband and I attempted to move the huge heavy mirror last night so that we could lower it. Well I told my husband I would keep it upright (it was resting on the dining table) while he stood back to look at it...and I tried to pull it a little bit towards me and the whole mirror came crashing down and on my hand. Needless to say I was in complete agony i thought I broke a few bones in my right hand. It was extremely swollen and the palm of my hand and other side is completely swollen. I almost went to emerg last night but didn't want to wait forever. My hubby went and bought me extra strength advil took that and it helped big time. I'm icing the hand and the swelling went down a little.

so now I have a mirror that I just bought(wasn't cheap) and the top half is broken. The bottom half is still in tact. My husband suggested we get something smaller and without a shelf. I was thinking of trying to get the top half of the mirror replaced/repaied. I also thought that perhaps a vignette of a mirror, art work/b&w print and a vase on that wall might be better. Instead of the whole wall being that huge mirror. What do you all think.

I could fix the mirror and then try to sell it online.

Advice.

P.S. my glass console also chipped in the top corner and I have to try and glue back the little chunk of glass that broke off the top. Arrggghhh
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 9:50AM
mpoulsom
oh no :(
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 10:16AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Oh no. That's so awful. So glad your hand isn't broken. Are you going to go to your Dr. just to make sure?

I'm not sure about repairing the mirror but you could probably have it re-cut into a or 2 smaller mirrors. You could use that w the art work/vase vignette or sell those online. You could also put the family photos in the big mirror's place.

If you see anything you like at our store to go in place of your broken mirror, I'll be happy to give it to you at my cost. You can email me at contact@essentialsinside.com.

Where did you buy the glass console? Maybe they can help you fix it?

Please let us know how your hand is. Sorry, this doesn't exactly make your designing less overwhelming.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 10:21AM
beattieboggs
So sorry to hear that. Hope you are okay?
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 10:22AM
Kim D
nixx22, sorry to hear about your hand and the damaged items....Arrghhh is definitely the correct response here. I would try just enjoying the already beautiful space you have created for you and your family for now until you are healed.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 10:54AM
judianna20
Very sorry. Accidents…one minute you are fine :>(. Thank heavens you didn't cut an artery. Keep up the Advil to reduce the swelling. Ice 10 min then off for a while.

You know those 12" square glass tiles with a sticky back? Could you use the bottom half and somehow make a pattern above or below?
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 11:14AM
janishill
Oh no! That's terrible. I know you are heart sick as well as in pain.

Continue with the advil and ice. Also try to keep your hand up high; as in resting on a pillow, to help reduce the swelling.

I agree with Lyvonne. you may be able to have it recut. Then it would at least be usable.

We are thinking of you. Keep us posted.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 1:30PM
Christelle
just passing by to tell you i wouldn't change a thing your place is gorgeous
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 2:29PM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Oh kiddo! I have loved you home from the first time you posted - have the mirror cut down as you suggested and try your other ideas - the sound just right! Arnica for shock for you/hand ASAP! (Arnica is used topically for a wide range of conditions, including bruises, sprains, muscle aches, wound healing, superficial phlebitis, joint pain, inflammation from insect bites, and swelling from broken bones.Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/arnica-000222.htm#ixzz2DkXzT6wD
Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook)
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:01PM
nixx22
thank you so much everyone for all the kind words and concern. My mom came by to help me out since i only had one functioning hand and it's difficult with a 3 month old. Thankfully my 6 year old was at school and he and my husband left for hockey practice so I'm getting some rest.

The hand is severely bruised, no broken bones thankfully. Wearing a tensor band on it right now. Advil is helping and I'm continuing to ice it and my mom rubbed biofreeze on it. The palm of my hand is black and blue arrggghhghg. I'm mad at myself for trying to be a hero with the mirror but what's done is done. When it comes to decorating when I'm on a roll Its hard for me to stop or get side tracked. But I need to let my hand heal. I couldn't even hold my son last night with my right hand.

Once I get that dining wall done and move the pictures down I'm going to start focusing on our family room/ man cave/play area. My son Austin's room and the kitchen.

Thanks everyone for awesome suggestions, advice, kind words and kind offers. I'm so glad I found this site for design and decorating inspiration, ideas and fellow posters like yourselves for great advice.

Okay I'm done typing with one hand. Off to go and take it easy.
Cheers,

nicole
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 4:00PM
Peartree
I'm so sorry you hurt your hand and I hope its healing. Your house is beautiful. IMHO I think the mirror was too much mirror anyways and would love to see the mirror console with a big piece of art over it to bring some life to the back wall. If you wanted a bit of bling there do a wider silver frame on the piece.
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 4:51PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi nixx22. Just checking in to see how you and your hand are doing. Hope it feels better already.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 3:59PM
nixx22
Hi Everyone, So my hand has healed thank goodness and I ended up having just a plain piece of mirror installed on the back wall a bit smaller in size then the original mirror we bought. I decided to go this route so that I could make my own frame and change it whenever I wanted. Now I'm stuck as to what type of frame to do. I like that ash grey distressed wood look. I also love the very ornate and sometimes colourful frames that are out there now...although I don't want to do the frame in yellow.

I also finished the painting I was working on and we hung it up. I also got a round mirror that I put going up the stairs that looks nice to me also.

I still feel like something is missing from the back wall. I also plan to still lower the pictures on my photo wall and possibly lose a few and put some going up the stairs.

Not sure what else the room needs. Suggestions welcomed. I think I may just start working on the lower level family room now. My husband and son spend a lot of time down there and they've made it their own space but it still needs a woman's touch!

Thanks to Lyvonne!! from the essentials inside for offering to sell me a mirror at discount. That was truly very sweet and thoughtful of you :)I really appreciate the offer.

I want to paint the bathroom just off of the living room dining room...want a colour that will go with my revere pewter room. I also need a good wall colour for my all white kitchen. Suggestions welcom.

Thanks again everyone for the great feed back!

Nic

P.S. I've been getting really creative with my picture taking now that I have a new Samsung Phone and instagram. Take a look at my photo montages.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 2:39PM
nixx22
bump bump bump...
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:51AM
PRO
the essentials inside
nixx22 - so glad your hand is healed! Love the photo montage except when I click on it to see the enlarged view on Houzz, I can't see the whole thing. Can you upload the pics separately? I like how the new mirror looks. For some reason my brain is taking a nap w/out me right now so I'll have to re-read your post. :)

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:33PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.