Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hardwood floor help please!
Jennifer
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This is our current engineered hardwood floor (merbau) but we've sold our place. I was going to use the same floor on the open plan main floor of our new place, along with similar kitchen finishes (I only did the counter and backsplash 2 years ago and still love it!). My question is: can anyone suggest a glue down hard wood floor with a similar grain and depth of brown but not with quite the red undertone? We don't like the grain in oak so that's out. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would find a Mirage floor dealer and look at what he has to offer. They have beautiful engineered flooring, and offer a more matte finish than many other manufacturers. We designers usually do not like shiny wood floors. I believe that Mirage calls their less shiny finish "cashmere".
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 6:02PM
Jennifer
Carolyn, thank you so much, I'll do that. And I appreciate the input regarding the matte finish - you read my mind on that one!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:39PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
You're most welcome, Jennifer! Mirage makes gorgeous flooring.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:50PM
PRO
Riverside Design
I am loving walnut, matte finish, herringbone by Kentwood floors or rift sawn white oak , both gorgeous!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:15PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
This site is a good one to start with, but remember that pictures may not show true color reproduction and that two trees of the same species can have have a considerable range of color.
I don't use glue down engineered floor, preferring full 3/4 floating systems to be better at offering a tighter and more water resistant surface. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=image+exotic+hard+wood+floor&qpvt=image+exotic+hard+wood+floor&FORM=IGRE
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 9:04PM
Jennifer
Thanks for the valuable suggestions. And we have a floating system right now that I'm quite happy with - I'll have to ask my contractor why he's recommending glue down.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:18PM
skris22
Brazilian teak is a perfect brown with no red undertones and evens out as it ages. White oak or any of the domestic lights like maple start yellowing with age. My oak floors had become absolutely ugh yellow. There are probably finishes that you can use to protect the floors from UV light, but I had no luck with our Mannington floors.
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 10:30PM
Jennifer
Our new place will gets lots of afternoon and evening sun - I definitely don't want yellowing. Bleh. The red undertone actually I like but I want to change our decor with the move and need a more 'neutral' base. Thanks for the teak idea.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 9:35AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Do love look of Brazilian teak as well - and do like this kitchen - cant wait to see a post of new home kitchen - please!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 10:40AM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Going from the standard to the full 3/4" engineer will improve the feel as well as give you more depth of the hardwood for future refinishing. I prefer to get unfinished and use rosewood or teak oil finish for ease of covering up scratches and not having to sand on refinishing. Further, we always enjoy the wax the floor parties where you get every one to come in slippers and cover them with old socks and sock skate the night away.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 11:20AM
Jennifer
I looked at Mirage floors today - African Mahogany, gorgeous. Carolyn, thank you again for the suggestion. Will have to check Brazilian teak tomorrow, and plan our 'wax the floors' party :). Thanks Paradise, I'll post the kitchen - with the 'before' photos!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 7:22PM
skris22
African Mahogany is to die for. But it's also one of the softest woods with Janka at 820. My kids would butcher it!
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 7:56AM