Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to convert carport and house into modern, open, cabin like floorplan
dream20home
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I love the siimplicity of the chalk hill house and landscape. What ground material is being used outside house (pea gravel?). Any ideas on how carport can be converted into living space? Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
Hi there, I think one of the first things I'd do is talk to a builder or architect and see what could be done about enclosing the carport and opening up some of the inside walls.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 4:46PM
dream20home
Hi Emily. Thanks for the suggestion but I've already met with a couple of builders and architects in my local area. None of them have come anywhere close to finding a simple and modern floor plan that accommodates our desires for function and style. At this point, I'm a bit hesitant about paying more money for plans that don't come close to our vision. Any idea on how to select a builder/architect? When I meet with potential builder/architect, I will usually show them pictures from my portfolio on houzz.com. At that point I just hope that builder/architect can figure out how to cost effectively remodel our current floorplan into something more functional for our growing family. Is there a better way?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 10:28PM
kathleen MK
I'd really need to see floorplans and know exactly what kind of spaces you are wanting to give you some good ideas. But my first impulse is to enclose carport into some sort of living space and create a wrap around porch entry from the existing door to the side window.
I'd ask to see a project list /portfolio of any professional I was considering. Talk to their references.
A good design professional will ask a lot about your lifestyle space needs. If you already have some clear ideas a contractor /builder can do the practical work to create it. Architects ( with AIA behind their name) can help you define what you want in a design and engineer major structural changes.
Good luck finding one who will click with your style and Budget.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 11:27PM