Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Powder Room Layout Dilemma
runtaurus22
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We just bought a house and the powder room on the first level has a funny layout. It is almost square. We are redoing the entire bathroom and I don't know what to do about the back left corner when the countertop gets taken out (see picture attached). The toilet is new, so it is staying. And we accidentally had the hardwood floors refinished before taking out the cabinet, so I have to replace the cabinet with a similar size cabinet. I don't know if I like the way the countertop is now, where it goes past the cabinet to the wall. It seems to be a big waste of space but I don't know what else to do with that corner. My husband says if we put a plant on the countertop and a trashcan under that it will look better than I think. Is that true? I thought of shelves or storage but its a powder room so I don't need much storage in there. Any ideas? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
creeser
I think you're on the right track with storage. How about a shelf midway with a basket on the shelf and on the floor underneath. Use them to store extra toilet paper, hand towels and soap.
November 29, 2012 at 11:53am   
Madeline
First of all is it too late to remove the cabinet and have the floor underneath it refinished? I would want to do that because anything put on that wall, whether a pedestal, (especially a pedestal) sink or a new vanity would likely look best centered on the wall. The alternative is to have a vanity custom made from wall to wall. What are your thoughts on finishing the job on the refinished floors? madeline
November 29, 2012 at 11:54am   
Madeline
I just read what your husband said, and had my first good smile of the day!
November 29, 2012 at 11:56am   
runtaurus22
Thanks for the feedback! A vanity or sink centered or wall to wall wouldn't work because there isn't enough space between the toilet and the vanity. If a vanity was next to the toilet you couldn't open the door and if the sink was centered on the wall you would be standing on the toilet to use it ...
November 29, 2012 at 11:58am   
PRO
Lotus Construction Group
Hi Runtaurus,

Not sure why I am thinking this but I am throwing it out there. If you have an indoor cat that looks like a great spot for a litter box if you do not have an ideal spot for one. I have even installed an exhaust fan to remove odor.

Ok many people have magazines and books in there powder rooms and there is enough space there for great storage of towels, toilet paper,magazines and books. I would pursue that option.
November 29, 2012 at 12:12pm   
greenthumb2
Hi runtaurs 22, Yes, a trash can would look fine, but...options:
two drawer hamper. or tall interesting lamp. and trash can. or i will post some pics. :=)

This is an example of just leaving the space alone but placing a tall "something you find appealing" in there. If the counter stays, that is fine. I will also give you a link idea for the counter stays scenario.
November 29, 2012 at 12:17pm   
runtaurus22
Thanks for the comments! I agree it would be a great spot for a litter box ... but we don't have any cats :) I like the ideas of shelves with baskets and the magazine storage! Maybe I can do a floating shelf with a basket and put a magazine holder on the floor below (or a basket that holds magazines). I don't know why I didn't think of magazines ... :)
November 29, 2012 at 12:26pm     
charleee
It looks to me like it was designed to be a make-up vanity, just add a chair and a make-up mirror.
November 29, 2012 at 12:38pm   
greenthumb2
HK Designs Towel Basket
if this room is by the pool, this could be for towels. :) but think it's too tall.

more like the second one; a built in? Traditional Bathroom.... if you click on the second pic you can see the meaning.

Scroll Table Lamp
November 29, 2012 at 12:39pm   
Madeline
This is a POWDER ROOM. Utilitarian things (hampers, towel bins, huge wastebaskets filling space, letterbox!!) seem to contradict the stated purpose of the room. JMHO. madeline
November 29, 2012 at 12:47pm   
creeser
Found a photo where the storage underneath the sink is off center with the baskets.
[houzz=
]
November 29, 2012 at 12:55pm     
creeser
...and just one more that reminds me of what you have.
[houzz=
]
November 29, 2012 at 12:57pm   
Madeline
runtaurus: Hi, I could be very wrong of course since you already stated there's no room but there does certainly look like space between the toilet and the back wall for a pedestal sink. Have you measured the room? It doesn't take much standing space to have a beautiful pedestal (they can be as shallow as 19" out from the wall. Most vanities are usually 24" deep though they also do come in depths of 22") sink put in place, it would seem to me. How deep is the vanity you have now if I may ask?
November 29, 2012 at 12:59pm   
greenthumb2
And the reason why we post ideas is to help others think about what they are doing with their space. It is our privilege to discuss this with them. I hope my ideas are used by people to find solutions on their own. We cannot identify what we like unless we know what we do not like.
November 29, 2012 at 1:08pm     
housemamma
I like the storage idea. I have a pedestal sink in my powder room and hate it. No place to store hand towels, cleaning supplies, extra tissues and toilet paper. You just can't make a toilet brush look attractive.
November 29, 2012 at 1:11pm     
runtaurus22
Thanks for all the help! I know it looks there is room but the picture is a little deceiving ... :)

There is about a foot between the edge of the toilet and the front of the countertop. I like the idea of a pedestool sink, but since the floor under the cabinet wasnt refinished, I don't think that's an option. I like the picture posted with the countertop with the basket storage underneath, there is probably enough room for that. I could look into how much it would cost for them to come back out to refinish under the cabinet but I imagine that will blow my budget for the bathroom. I wish I would have thought to have it refinished ... high sight 20/20 :)

creesar, do you know what is below that countertop on the sink? i like that idea a lot as well.

Thank you everyone for all the great ideas! :)
November 29, 2012 at 4:47pm   
Madeline
runtaurus22: I wouldn't want you to blow your budget because of the floor refinishing. But if you did or do want a pedestal sink perhaps you can let the refinishers think they should've asked whether the cabinet was staying or not. Let them bear some responsibility for the fact the floor wasn't done entirely. Please wood guys out there don't get mad at me ;). Maybe they'd give you a good price on the redo. One never knows, does one. Good luck with your room; houzzers have given you many good ideas so I'm sure you'll get exactly what you want in the end. madeline
November 29, 2012 at 6:15pm   
greenthumb2
Hi again. great news about the storage dilemna being nearly solved. :=) measure twice for this place, and also the size of basket/shelf item to go into the space so when it arrives you can squeeze it in there... Then, you'll have a winner.
November 29, 2012 at 11:01pm   
creeser
runtaurus22, if you mouseover or click on the photo, it will enlarge so you can see more of it. Also, you can click on the Guest WC underneath it and it will take you to the photo here on the houzz site. I thought that photo was very, very close to what you have and the addition under the extended countertop would be an easy fix.
November 30, 2012 at 3:53am