Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
really?
mamaoft3
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
although all the ideas and photos I have seen are beautiful, nothing looks lived in or kid friendly...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I understand your point but you have to remember that these pictures were taken as portfolio pictures which show how the room looked when the designer completed it. The moment the photographer and designer left, you can be sure there will be a newspaper or magazine on a table and a cup of coffee somewhere, and the remote control handy! And we all know what a kitchen looks like when we prepare a meal or do some baking! These photos are meant to be aspirational, not a snapshot of the everyday life of the family that lives there.
November 29, 2012 at 2:02PM   
charleee
Well, of course a lot of the rooms on Houzz are staged for the photos.
November 29, 2012 at 2:02PM   
PRO
C Wright Design
Hi there! I completely understand your point but as the previous replies have stated, these photos are snapshots of perfection for each space. The thing to look for in terms of kid-friendly (or just life-friendly, for that matter!) is the materials, lighting, layouts, etc. All good designers work with their clients to determine how the spaces will be used. So, for example, if our new client has 2 young children and a dog but also entertains for business we need to choose all finishes to be durable AND beautiful. So, no silk fabrics or white area rugs, but rather beautiful durable fabrics that pass the Wyzenbeek tests with a high scores and an area rug with a pattern that will be soil hiding. If you look at the photographs on Houzz through these eyes it is actually very informative! Hope this helps!
November 29, 2012 at 2:14PM     
mpoulsom
If you are new here and have a question, there are many professional, and everyday people, that are smart, experienced, and have great ideas! Just include that you have babies and your lifestyle situation....you may be amazed!
November 29, 2012 at 2:45PM     
PRO
Dytecture
One could say the same about 'staging' photos in real estate websites, but I agree unless the photos are designed for kids' room, you will rarely see them in photos.

November 29, 2012 at 2:52PM     
mamaoft3
but kids live in a whole house not just their room....I want to see a living room where people actually live
November 30, 2012 at 6:41AM   
mamaoft3
even staged they look so phony
November 30, 2012 at 6:42AM   
beattieboggs
I agree with Cynthia. Think of the pictures showing rooms at their best after they have been cleaned and tidied up, before being used.
November 30, 2012 at 7:31AM     
mamaoft3
It's not about clean.....it's about practical
November 30, 2012 at 7:33AM   
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
A good design is always practical taking into consideration the clients needs first and foremost like C Wright says. The rooms in the photos may not suit your particular needs but I think we all look at them and use them as inspiration, tweaking them in our imaginations to be just right for us.
November 30, 2012 at 8:29AM   
charleee
There are many ways to make a house kid friendly and practical. In the living room, storage ottomans are great for keeping toys neat. Indoor/outdoor area rugs have come a long way, and the same with fabrics. Vinyls are the easiest to keep clean with kids around.

I agree, your home needs to be a home for everyone. It's just more challenging with kids !!!
November 30, 2012 at 8:30AM   
apple_pie_order
mamaoft3: I've often thought that good categories for houzz photos would be "practical", "easy clean", "kid friendly" and "universal design". "Cat proof" and "dog friendly" would be good categories, too.
November 30, 2012 at 8:35AM     
beattieboggs
You could also ask how to make a particular room kid friendly? As a mother of 4 I always knew how to do that but appreciate that others might not.

ETA: I planned family rooms with the children in mind. The children grew up around antiques etc and were always respectful in the formal areas.
November 30, 2012 at 9:26AM   
zenhome
When do you ever see a design magazine, website or real estate photo that hasn't been staged. There are a lot of great spaces on this site that are designed specifically with kids in mind. Dytecture's photo is a great example.
December 1, 2012 at 7:32AM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.