Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with art arrangment ideas
katycc79
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have an oddly shaped wall that needs some art very badly. I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do - I've contemplated an arrangement but because of the angles on the cieling and up the stairs i can't seem to come up with anything. Please send any ideas you have! I've attached a picture of the wall and a couple of pictures of the other walls in the "room" - it's really part of our entryway. Thanks in advance!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
You can mix framed art with family photos and arrange with the shape of your wall/space...

1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 3:14PM
charleee
I would try to ignore the fact that the wall is on a slant. If you have a chalk line, level a line at the lowest point of the ceiling and straight across. You can use that as your guide. Here's a few ideas for you:
[houzz=Dawna Jones Design]
[houzz=Stern Turner Home]

Also, do you have kids? A window that close to the floor would not even be legal in California. I would want something in front of it, like this: [houzz=Old Greenwich Beach Cottage]
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 3:21PM
katycc79
Thank you Julia! The orchid photos are too small I think - but I really like your idea about a large or 2 large black/white prints. And yes, I've always hated the frame for the other piece of art - my mother in law gave it to me and it's a Tarkay limited edition print so I love the art itself - I think painting the frame is a great idea - or if my husband thinks it would hurt her feelings i should probably move it. I also hate the curtain but am stuck with it for now as it provides privacy that we need in the evenings. :) It will be replaced one day. :) Any thoughts about adding some color to the space? Perhaps through an area rug near the console? Thanks so much for your input!!
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 3:24PM
houssaon
I would lower the wattage in the two lamps - much too much light. Good advice from others on the pictures. A matchstick blind or a Roman shade would work on your window and give you privacy. Even a shere on a tension rod would look good.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 3:26PM
Jen
I'm a big fan of neutrals, and black and white, which is probably why I love your space so much. I'm the wrong person to ask about bringing in color. ;)

If you feel a need for color, what about a large floor plant in the corner where the curtain is in a black ceramic pot. It must be a real plant, and you'd have great light there for it!

Maybe you could bring in some color in a floor mat at the foot of the stairs. I'd make it graphic, something to echo the grid of the rail, no more than two colors, with black being one of them.

When you get new curtains, I'd get them in a tone close to the wall color, textured, tone on tone, or a very small print. If you sew, you could band them with wide black grosgrain ribbon.

Keep it simple. No clusters of small pictures. Let your rail be the focal point of the hallway.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 3:56PM
katycc79
Thanks to everyone for your input!

oldbob - yes, I have a son, but assure you the window is extremely thick and very safe [ for example, my 140 pound dog has jumped up onto in over and over to bark at the pizza guy and no problems ;) ] but the built-in bench is very nice looking but don't think there's enough space on our landing.

julia - thanks again for all the good suggestions!

houssaon - thanks for window treatment ideas and lighting input. I really appreciate everyone's ideas - love Houzz community!!
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 8:31AM
Dar Eckert
Just one large piece as suggested previously. Locate at bottom of stairs. Add coordinating rug at bottom of stairs.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 8:43AM
katycc79
Thanks for you idea Dar - I'm not sure what you mean by "locate at bottom of stairs" - do you mean you would do a tall/long piece and put it closest to the window or hang a large piece low? I'm not quite sure how to picture your suggestion and would love you to elaborate if you don't mind. Thanks!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 8:50AM
cece7
I think this would look nice.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 12:09PM
cece7
The pictures I sent are big but all you have to do is make just use half of the picture placement idea.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 12:12PM
charleee
Or there's this great Martha Stewart way: http://www.marthastewart.com/272930/picture-an-easier-way
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 12:15PM
katycc79
Thanks again for everyone's input! Now . . . to find some art!
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 10:55AM
decoenthusiaste
Wallpaper behind it would add to your stairwell

1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 3:27PM