powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Are You Getting a Real Christmas Tree or Artificial Tree This Year?
Cathy Lara
November 29, 2012 in Polls
After looking into your options and the pros and cons of each, which type of Christmas tree are you going to buy this year? A real tree or a fake/artificial tree?
Artificial. They last longer and I can use the tree year after year.
Real. You can't beat the smell, the touch and the presence of the real deal.
Undecided. When they're decorated with ornaments and garlands, I really can't tell the difference.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Lily Gahagan
We got a small artificial tree this year. It's about 3 feet tall, so I think it could still work for future Christmases in another room if we get a real tree. It has some sweet little pinecones attached to the branches that I just couldn't resist!
November 29, 2012 at 6:02pm     
Doug Durando
I love the smell of a real Christmas tree!
November 29, 2012 at 6:03pm     
pcmom1
We always went to Lassen forest and cut down our own tree. But kids grew up and out, and hubby's back really didn't appreciate pulling and loading a large tree on top of the car. With reluctance we purchased a "fake".

But I do love the fact that I can move branches around. That I can hang heavy ornaments. And really like that the lights are on! And I go to the tree lot for branches to put in containers to bring in that great smell!

And my helpful hint for the fake tree: make it look a lot more real by going to the craft store and purchasing wired ribbon, covered with actual moss, to wrap around the trunk. Then I add lots of pine cones and bags full of moss to the interior of the branches.

And last year we made the trip to the forest with no pressure for the perfect tree! Told everyone to look for the ugliest most "charlie brown" tree they could find. I put this tree in the family room, with a blanket wrapped around the base, and one red ornament hanging on the branches!
November 29, 2012 at 6:03pm     
Emily Hurley
We've always had a real tree, but I tell you...I'm so busy I might do a fake one this year. I think the only thing stopping me is missing the smell!
November 29, 2012 at 6:05pm     
PRO
Toronto Designers
I wish we celebrated as I love the smell of a real pine tree in a house! Love visiting others that have them. Me, I put out a few dreidles and a Chanukiah in the window. ;)
November 29, 2012 at 6:12pm     
pcmom1
Remember, you can often get loads of branches from the tree lots for free! Create "house plants" for the holidays. Lots of wonderful pine scent!
November 29, 2012 at 6:17pm     
Elaine Morrison
We used to always have a real tree, it was so much fun getting it and the kids helped decorate. But now that were older its artifical, I love the trees, i want one in every room. :)
November 29, 2012 at 6:19pm     
cathy
I bought a good quality artificial tree with 800 lights on it.....i was tired of spending days loading the tree with lights and then having the mess when it starts to dry out (very dry in Alberta). I burn scented candles and bake - house smells lovely ;-)
November 29, 2012 at 6:41pm     
cleoken
I used to have a real tree when the kids were small. But I find that the smell of a real tree doesn't last for a long time and then it starts drying out and big mess on the floor and also I could not hang heavy ornaments. You can get a very good fake one that looks real. I have one with the lights on and I decorate early and enjoy it for a while and don't have to worry about dry branches and fall off ornaments. I also burn scented candles and bake and the house smell so good!!!:)
November 29, 2012 at 7:55pm     
Christine Bandaly
I just wouldn't want a white artificial tree - and I love colored lights... But I have always had a "fake" because my daughter had very serious respiratory problems...
November 29, 2012 at 7:57pm     
Mia E
My first fake, it's small from the 99 p store and looks great, I miss the scent but that doesn't last long... and it can go up early!
November 29, 2012 at 8:01pm     
Kathy Martz_Walsh
what a perfect real Christmas tree.
November 29, 2012 at 8:33pm     
defever
We've always had a real tree but this year we're debating about a tree at all...have a 6 mo. old kitten that we are picturing swinging from the top!
November 29, 2012 at 8:53pm     
caribookat
My boys love a real Christmas tree .... so while they are still at home that is what we shall do.
November 29, 2012 at 9:47pm     
pcmom1
Why not a big tree (the fake) in the living room, and then small, smaller and smallest real trees in all others? I do this and it is so much fun! One dressed up, one full of the kids' crafty ornaments from school, and on and on... I usually have four in the house, but some only two feet tall!
November 30, 2012 at 7:49am     
charleee
I love a real tree, but undecorating and disposing of it is a pain !
November 30, 2012 at 7:52am   
S. Thomas Kutch
No tree here fake or real........since the kids are grown, we just prefer a Christmas plant now. A few white light, add a few small ornaments and a festive wrap around the pot and we're good to go.
November 30, 2012 at 8:17am     
charleee
S. Thomas! And presents, right?
November 30, 2012 at 8:19am     
koolbeanzzzz
Hi Cathy,

You forgot about a vote for "both". I'm getting a real one for the family room and I am going to use my artificial one in my living room. We also have to put out the Hanukkah candles. We're a very diverse family ;)

Happy holidays!

~koolbeanzzzz
November 30, 2012 at 2:48pm     
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
The real ones smell so good.
November 30, 2012 at 3:16pm     
PRO
ATGStores.com
Nothing beats the smell of a real Christmas tree, but it's true that artificial trees (http://www.atgstores.com/christmas-trees_2330.html?linkLoc=topnav) offer a measure of versatility, durability and longevity that is hard to ignore. Plus, they now come in some pretty unconventional colors and designs, like upside-down trees and half trees to place against walls to conserve space. Some even come with lights, which is a great time-saver, although we still like to add extra decorations!
November 30, 2012 at 3:25pm     
koolbeanzzzz
It's true, there are loads of choices out there now, but my goodness, they get expensive. I will say that things have come a long way since I purchased my artificial tree 13 years ago! My kids get mad each year when I put it up and I tell them "I just saved myself another $100.00+ by using this tree another year!" Here's a pic from last Christmas and I don't think it looks bad. On the other hand, I grew up with real trees and miss the smell. One day someone will figure out how to put the smell in an artificial one, I'm sure.

P.S. -- And as stated above, I am getting a real one too this year :)

Happy holidays to all!

~koolbeanzzzz
November 30, 2012 at 4:00pm     
dcer
Nothing beats a real tree, in my opinion!
November 30, 2012 at 6:37pm     
Elaine Morrison
Your opinion is the best! But i can't do real ones anymore, right now i have 3 artificial trees up, 2 rather small ones, and one bigger one :) I love the lights. I haven't got much decorating done yet. Really don't know if i'll do as much, because I haven't been well and that changes things. koolbeaneee, I love your whole room and the tree.As soon as I get finished, i'll put a picture on. Its a really wonderful time of year.
November 30, 2012 at 7:54pm     
tffaulhaber
Aw I love having a real tree!!! We used to have a fake one in the living room...so you could see it from the road & a real one downstairs so we could enjoy it. HOWEVER....
After having 2 boys 12 months apart the real downstairs tree turned into a "um yea right" tree

Plus now I can just put it up myself while my husband is @ work. Maybe 4 & 5 yrs old I can go real downstairs again?? Hahaha
November 30, 2012 at 8:05pm     
tatts
Real. Fraser fir, always. Lots of space between branches for the ornaments to hang, great needle retention, but not much scent. Almost always go to a tree farm and cut it down; it's a nice way to spend the day.
November 30, 2012 at 8:29pm     
Elaine Morrison
We used to do that when the kids were all home..:)
November 30, 2012 at 8:40pm   
lyerla
Due to some family allergies, we've always done artificial. Thankfully, now pre-lit with LEDs and using more realistic branch and needle tips than ever, artificial trees work wonderfully for us. A real tree is great - especially if you get to have the experience of hand-selecting it on a tree farm - but for our needs artificial has always been the way to go. And they're truly the holiday decorator's best friend.
Same goes for garlands and wreaths - no needle drop or wilting where exposed sunlight in windows or direct sunlight. Makes clean-up a snap, too!
November 30, 2012 at 9:59pm     
Samantha Hayward
Real... but voted artificial - been using my artificial tree for the last few years as I have no idea how I would get a real one in Bahrain where we are living!!

Having said that the environmentalist in me says I should use artificial indoors - I know there are sustainable options etc etc but it doesn't seem right chopping a tree down just for enjoyment!

I like the idea of planting a tree in my garden and decorating it each year and watching it grow or buying a potted tree and then planting it after I am finished with it.
November 30, 2012 at 9:59pm     
emkay1919
Defiantly a real one. It looks better as long as u don't get the one that drops needles. I have bought one mini artificial tree but only for my bedroom.
December 1, 2012 at 1:07am   
nicholabell
It wouldn't be christmas without the annual drama of hubby bringing the tree home thats too tall or too wide or too bare etc then having to saw the branches of the bottom to fit in the pot, then being scratched as he tries to put the lights swearing we will get a fake next year on while I look on with a glass of wine and Maria Carey christmas music waiting to decorate it!!! Kids watch him too with their chocolate! We also take wicked pleasure pointing out its lop sided......
December 1, 2012 at 6:00am     
nicholabell
It wouldn't be christmas without the annual drama of hubby bringing the tree home thats too tall or too wide or too bare etc then having to saw the branches of the bottom to fit in the pot, then being scratched as he tries to put the lights swearing we will get a fake next year on while I look on with a glass of wine and Maria Carey christmas music waiting to decorate it!!! Kids watch him too with their chocolate! We also take wicked pleasure pointing out its lop sided......
December 1, 2012 at 6:00am     
pcmom1
I tried buying a potted pine a few years ago. The idea being to use it inside for a month and then plant outside. However, didn't work. Alas, a pine is not a houseplant and after a few days started to look ill!
December 1, 2012 at 8:28am   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Love a real tree - we decorate it christmas eve, drinking egg nog, with "It's a Wonderful Life" playing on the DVD - its very festive and puts us in the mood to enjoy each other, talk about christmases past, and share in loving moments together. My parents did it this way, so I shall pass it onto my family with hopes they carry on the tradition...Merry Christmas Everyone!
December 1, 2012 at 1:06pm     
Karen Heffernan
don't like the idea of chopping down a beautiful tree just to have it inside for a couple of weeks. only artificial and pre-lit for me, with good quality scented candles. does that make mine a vegan tree? ; )
December 1, 2012 at 2:34pm     
charleee
Artificial for me until some eco-minded person decides the artificial trees give off noxious gases, the pre-lights are a safety/fire hazard or the Mayans are proven right on Dec. 21.
December 1, 2012 at 3:04pm     
cleoken
Here is my artificial tree! So easy with the lights on already and since I live in a small apartment the size is perfect. I handpainted some of the wooden ornaments!
December 1, 2012 at 3:20pm     
Donald
Artificial. And cat approved.
December 1, 2012 at 5:48pm     
inkwitch
As a child, it was always a real tree, and I always had a real one while my daughter was young. Nothing like the smell! Then daughter was grown, and the cats were in the tree, while all the ornaments were on the floor! So for years, no tree at all. Now, I have my own house and do what I please -- an artificial tree, burn scented candles to make it smell like a real one.
December 1, 2012 at 6:34pm   
Karen Bell
Ah well, I adore a real tree and had one each year until I became a widow and found it too difficult to handle a real tree each year. I found a tall but slim artificial one that I can fill, and I do mean fill, with lights and reflective ornaments. I have grown to love it because I can handle it all by myself and others can enjoy it when it is done.
December 1, 2012 at 10:34pm     
Kimberly Johnson_Mitchell
Due to allergies I've always had artificial trees, I started a tradition of putting two trees up every year, the first one is a spinning tree
December 1, 2012 at 10:51pm     
stclaire
We have artificial trees and I've always burned evergreen-scented candles in the past. This year, we found a product called Scentsicles that are icicle-shaped ornaments for the tree "infused with pure fragrance like fir, spruce, and pine." We haven't put up our trees yet this year, but the Scentsicles do smell natural (and not like the air freshener in public bathrooms, as some pine-scented products do) so we're going to give them a try. We've seen them in several stores and you can find them online if you're interested.
December 2, 2012 at 1:12am     
olldroo
defever - cats and Christmas trees are definitely NOT a design option. I had a kitty who was 6 months old for his first Christmas and was very cute posing as the fairy on top of the tree but by the time he was a 7kg adult and still insisted on being the fairy, (after he had removed all the lower decorations) the tree went.
December 2, 2012 at 1:42am     
Deborah Hall
when my son was little we always went to the tree farm to cut a tree. Now that he's grown and only here for a few days we have been buying very small trees potted with their root balls -- and after Christmas we plant the tree in the back yard. We have several back there now.
December 2, 2012 at 3:47am   
fourqtown
I grew up with artificial trees, but my husband always had live/real trees guess who won. For the last 25 years we have purchased beautiful real trees. The best for us, smell, look, and touch can't be beat.
December 2, 2012 at 3:51am   
beverlyalbers
My husband and I had arguments every year over which was the right tree to cut. I love him, but he cant cut a straight cut in a piece of paper, let alone a tree trunk. It was incredibly stressful so after about ten years of this we opted for a fake tree. It was the first real happy Christmas we had.

That being said, we just moved from California to Florida and have a different quandary having gotten rid of the second generation fake that we had... Maybe a fake, lit palm tree is in our future? ; )
December 2, 2012 at 5:02am     
feeny
We always buy real trees, and we put ours up yesterday. I used to feel guilty about using real trees, but they did a pretty comprehensive study that showed you have to use your artificial tree for 20 years for it to be greener than buying real ones from sustainable Christmas tree farming. So now I indulge myself with a clear conscience. Study: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/18/business/energy-environment/18tree.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
December 2, 2012 at 5:02am     
Sara Parker
I'm surprised there is no option for LIVING trees! Buy one small and grow it up! Save trees and money. I bring in fir branches and fireproof them to use in chandeliers and to bring the scent of Christmas.
December 2, 2012 at 5:03am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
After 60 Christmases and 41 years of careers that have always revolved in some way around that holiday, from retail, to sales, to a twenty year interior design business.......I AM SERIOUSLY OVER BOTH LOL. If you do a "Ben Franklin" you realize they both have their flaws, but you plunge ahead, with various amounts of cursing and muttering and ooohing and aaahing and then it all comes down and it is over.. I do the XMAS THING for clients, so truly, I just sit and pray and wait for Flag day and Arbor day, the only two that require no effort on my part with gifts or decor. Shoot me!
December 2, 2012 at 5:19am     
Ann Smitt
O Christmas Tree, My daughter is allergic to thee, The very scent of you causes her eyes to swell, Asthma attack soon follows as well, No more hospital trips on Christmas Eve, I have to stick with Old Artificial Tree. Merry Christmas Everyone.
December 2, 2012 at 5:31am     
Sara Parker
Another reason for using living or artificial trees: Have you ever seen a Christmas tree go up in flames? Takes about 30 seconds.
Here's a recipe for
Nonpermanent Flame Retardant
2.5 ounces borax
2 cups boiling hot water

Combine the borax and boiling water in a bowl and stir until all the borax is dissolved. Pour into a spray bottle, shake, and spray onto the branches (or even clothes).. Don’t rinse. Let dry before decorating.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/natural-nonpermanent-flame-retardant.html#ixzz2Dty2gy7p
December 2, 2012 at 5:43am     
Trisha Soncini Lane
I bought a home on the ocean in the jungle town of Playa Guiones, Nosara, Costa Rica. I am here doing an addition and remodel over the holidays, so I am going to try my hand at making a 6 ft driftwood tree.
December 2, 2012 at 5:53am     
lakemomof4
BOTH!
December 2, 2012 at 6:07am   
Sara Parker
Love the idea for a driftwood tree! In the Bahamas we also decorate agave plants and palm trees, of course.
December 2, 2012 at 6:20am   
slowtwist
Fresh-cut Frazier Fir from North Carolina! The Rolls Royce of Christmas trees.
December 2, 2012 at 6:28am   
ncamy
Always have had and hope to always have a real tree. Of course I live in western North Carolina where they are grown which makes getting a live tree inexpensive. I love the option of clipping back a branch or two to created "holes" for ornaments to hang. We never look for a perfect tree. We purposely look for the skimpy ones so that there is plenty of room for all our heirloom ornaments.
December 2, 2012 at 6:49am   
Vickie Elbrecht
Love all the comments and agree with most, but Cathy you forgot an option (though not an "option" for everyone)..... Purchase a real tree with root ball and plant after the holidays. Enjoy the memories for years to come. Some of the downsides......The price is more but most nurserys give a guarantee with live trees. Also, you only have the tree in the house for 7 to 10 days...and you need a few STRONG men to move it in and out. Planting is suggested as soon as possible but one year we covered the dirt ball with leaves and didn't plant it until late February. ( not suggested but it worked that year) We are now in our 3rd home and have graced our past yards with beautiful trees. It's neat to drive by them and see them getting bigger. Looking forward to adding a new tree to our yard again this year. Have attached pictures of our 2011 tree. Sorry for the length of this comment,but we love "to be green". Merry Christmas to All!
December 2, 2012 at 7:04am     
Sara Parker
Love that idea! A forest of fond memories.
December 2, 2012 at 7:11am     
granny04
Real tree every year that we cut down. The two best trees we ever had were the ones we went to the forest and cut down. They were not the prettiest in shape, but the memories of driving to to the forest in the snow and hiking in the woods with our chuldren to find the "perfect tree" will never ever be forgotten. Our children are grown and now have children of their own. The first of the Christmas conversations is always...remember when we drove to the forest to cut down the tree.....
December 2, 2012 at 7:35am   
safbham
atificial trees collect dust, which is not good for asthma... artificial trees eventually do wear out disposing of them is not a bio-degradable thing... real trees can be turned into compost thus they are eco-friendly...
however, most tree lots sell trees that are pruned into perfect triangles, sadly no individual looking natural grown tree is easy to find.... the triangle trees are difficult to decorate except for putting ornaments on the outside of the tree.... why must all trees be alike in their perfect triagle shape?
Me, I order one from out of state... a natural grown tree makes for a beautifully decorated tree which allows for ornaments to hang properly.
December 2, 2012 at 7:43am   
thefloridian
All my life the smell and look of a real tree brings fond memories, even when money is tight. I was pleasantly surprised that my local home improvement store in South Florida. $20 bucks for a 5'-6' that was really 7' and they gave me all the branches I wanted to make my own front door wreath. Watch out and be careful, mine came with a little snake. Poor thing, hopefully it was rescued on time to recuperate in the garden since my cats did get to it and it had some bite marks. I remember one year truckload of trees was pulling in from NC and as they where unloading they where full of snow (something not seen in these latitudes). I always take my trees to be recycled at the local park where they turn them into mulch.
December 2, 2012 at 8:16am     
pcmom1
Vicki, you only have your tree in the house 7 to 10 days?

Mine (fake, but good looking!) went up day after Thanksgiving, and won't come down till around January 10th! But, then, my personal life philosophy is "Why just do something, when you can over-do something!"
December 2, 2012 at 8:22am     
franredding
Always had real trees until one year we bought a frazier fir that had a spider's nest complete with eggs in it. The warm air made the eggs hatch and we had thousands of baby spiders allover the tree and onto the floor. It looked like a black wave when we noticed it. We threw it out and went out to get artificial. Miss the scent though....
December 2, 2012 at 8:34am     
safbham
real Christmas trees are farmed.... you aren't detroying nature to have a real tree..... thus keeping the farmer and the economy going... fake trees are not bio degradable... !
December 2, 2012 at 10:13am     
safbham
real Christmas trees are farmed.... you aren't detroying nature to have a real tree..... thus keeping the farmer and the economy going... fake trees are not bio degradable... !
December 2, 2012 at 10:13am     
safbham
real Christmas trees are farmed.... you aren't destroying nature to have a real tree..... thus keeping the farmer and the economy going... fake trees are not bio degradable... !
December 2, 2012 at 10:14am     
pcmom1
OK someone out there needs to invent a biodegradable fake! That is a concern of mine. But plan to take care of ours, and use it as long as possible. Figure when it looks really bad, I will put it outside (maybe near kids' play house) and fill it with bird houses and bird feeders!
December 2, 2012 at 10:28am     
sacapuntaslapioz
most of the fakes are made in china. most of the real are somewhat local. real keeps farmland as farmland instead of development. they smell good and they get mulched. you can also buy a potted pine tree and plant it in the spring.
December 2, 2012 at 10:29am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
In the end, isn't it all about the family stories? The insanity that humanizes the whole experience?
When I was a teen, my Dad would consent to going out to cut the tree on the 17th.... and only after a lot of whining . Generally it was a miserable Saturday with wet snow... freezing rain... something charmingly northeast and messy and bone chilling unless you are six years old.
So..... schlumping along in the messy wet snow and muck for an hour, we'd find the perfect tree. Just me and Dad. No ordinary pine for us! Had to be a Frasier, or a Douglas, had to sit in the garage to warm and drop, had to have a couple more drilled holes for a branch to fill a gap. ....and "never get one that grew on the side of a hill, it will never stand straight in the stand!!!!!" His words, and true! Though we always had to chop a foot from the bottom to get it in the living room, and still have room for the star. One year we "lost it" from the roof of the wagon a mile from home... forgot that! : )
Finally the big moment. Mom would sit in the wing chair near the fireplace and (hah! !!!yeah, right!!) stifle a criticism. A litlle "mmmmpph" thing she used to do... My Dad, (well "lubed" from the bar on the way home where we would warm our toes, and he would have the BIG martini to my cola...) would turn and glare...."Virginia!!!!!!!" Next year get it YOURSELF!!!"
Now to lights.... these suckers were BIG. They had to be PERFECT. Multi colored. After light perfection came ornaments and tinsel "ritual". Tinsel was a right you EARNED. It had to hang in perfect unfettered strands. No tossing it on. It took hours, and then the cat would eat some and ....of course!
Finally done, we'd sit and squint at the convex bullseye mirror over the mantel...... another tree victory. Dad would retire to the recliner in the den.... that was it. Miss you Dad, and Mom, and really miss the BEST part of all of the season. Family. The tree hardly matters does it?
December 2, 2012 at 10:41am     
PRO
DefySupply.com
There's something magical about a real magical tree: the smell, the feel, the whole experience. Of course, artificial trees have their perks, so convenient and pet friendly! Keep posting pics of your trees...everyone decorates their trees differently and I want to see more! :)
December 2, 2012 at 10:49am     
heather888
I wouldn't spend 40 to 100 dollars on a live tree, I got mine at garage sales and have never paid anything more than 5 dollars. I now have a beautiful 8 foot tree that I inherited from my mother a few years ago. When we were children the Xmas tree was always the bain around Xmas as father didn't want to go out and chop one down, finally with my oldest brothers pay cheque we got an artifical tree and it put an end to all those years of MISERY of listening to the saga about the Xmas tree. Thank God for artifical tree's!
December 2, 2012 at 10:52am   
lonnie HARMS
So sad for all the ones left or unwanted AFTER CHRISTMAS...
The Smell just never lasts long enough and the drying out is inevitable..so I do my mantle really beautiful and have a 7 ft artificial that I load with Cinnamon Pine cones and buy apple/cinnamon glades around the house... it's festive enough without another lovely, lovely pine tree going down!! However, My kids are grown and it's a tradition that My husband and I started..we all head for the lots...find the perfect trees..load them up in our trucks..then head to a fun family Breakfast spot for Eggs benedict..(The kids now, I go for breakfast and watching the little ones).
It's really all about family..I think decorating has sort of taken over the ''KIDS SANTA CHRISTMAS IDEA" anyway most of us women LOVE LOVE to decorate..so it's without Guilt to go HEAD ON!! BUT FUN.
Lonnie Harms
December 2, 2012 at 11:15am   
yvesun
Although my hubby went out an purchased a replica of the Charlie Brown Xmas tree including the Linus's blue blanket andthe red bell Charlie Brown thought had killed the tree, and Schroatters music, we will still buddle up and put on our winter boots, gloves and toques and head to the farm that sells "cut your own tree" and argue over which style of tree and drink too much hot chocolate, just in the name of making memories for our kids.
December 2, 2012 at 12:51pm   
barbl
We and our extended family make a day of it and cut down our trees at a tree farm. We've been doing this for 35 years. We take a picture every year, documenting the events from when there were just couples, to when there were babies, to having adult children with their significant others joining. Part of the tradition means searching for the perfect tree and hauling it (or having it hauled) to the barn to be baled. My mother-in-law still gets her tree with us and she is 85 years old. My favorite part is after the tree is in the stand - I get to cut off the baling and see the beautiful boughs fall gracefully from it.
After the holidays, we carry out tree out to our woods where the birds and small animals find cover. I agree with safbham - support your local tree farmer!
December 2, 2012 at 1:56pm   
pcmom1
Ah, memories! I grew up thinking that every family got their tree on Christmas eve. We did! But turned out we did because that is when they went on sale (frugal German father!).

Dad and I would go out to our local lot to pick one out. One year, when I was around nine, I fell in love with a pink frocked one. My dad tried to talk me out of it (scrawny and missing many branches!). Even the guy at the tree lot tried to talk me out of it. I had to have it.

My mom nearly died when she saw it. But dad moved some branches around, and we decorated it with only red ornaments. Mom said we never got so many compliments on a tree.
December 2, 2012 at 2:21pm     
gigibaby
I live in Texas, and just the other day, I saw a sign stating : Real Trees starting at $ 30 ( 5 ft) , $ 75 for 6 ft., $80 for over 6.5 ft . and higher. I'll settle for an artifical, I can take it down when I want, not when I have too because the needles fell off. It's the price , and most tree lots down here, the trees are scrawny, and unhealthy looking !
December 2, 2012 at 2:29pm     
aeharlan
Loved getting live trees every year, even cutting our own, one Christmas. But a day or so later, I'd have a rash on my arms, and cold-like symptoms. Yep, I am allergic to them! So we've gone artificial since then. We bought a nice one & it looks real....just doesn't smell real.
December 2, 2012 at 2:38pm   
aeharlan
Loved getting live trees every year, even cutting our own, one Christmas. But a day or so later, I'd have a rash on my arms, and cold-like symptoms. Yep, I am allergic to them! So we've gone artificial since then. We bought a nice one & it looks real....just doesn't smell real.
December 2, 2012 at 2:38pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
I must say, there are probably some folks of other faiths out there who are reading this thread..... and wondering if we are 100% out. of. our. minds. ; ) To all those celebrating Hanukkah and anything else, best of the Treeless Holidays to you and all the good wishes for whatever crazy efforts you make to celebrate them! : )
December 2, 2012 at 2:44pm     
myosotis
I have a fake one. No needles to sweep, no water to pour, no drooping branches. The best reason to have a fake one is, I can put it up and decorate it on Thanksgiving weekend and take down whenever I feel like it, usually in January. I buy plug ins from the Bath & Body Shop, and my house smells like the real thing.
December 2, 2012 at 3:35pm     
pamhouser
have had a fake for years but got a real one last year and loved it. another real one this year. it is not as easy but love love love the smell and the realness! Love Christmas! Wish we could celebrate the birth of Christ all year,.
December 2, 2012 at 3:41pm     
Ann Smitt
Artifical trees do collect dust and are bad for asthma too. That's why we seal it up and clean it before we put it up each Christmas. Maybe next year I'll just do garland around the windows, pictures and stairwell like they did in the 1890's. For now I'll keep the artifical tree and when we retire it we'll try to repurpose it for lawn ornaments. Peace and Joy to you all.
December 2, 2012 at 4:12pm     
drayerle
I'm pro-real tree but wish I could be okay with the fake kind, for the ease of it, but that's all. The reason I'm not okay with fake is because I don't like the idea of so many chemicals and pollutants going into making a Christmas tree, plus I'd hate storing it - just one more piece of clutter. With real trees, they're harvested sustainably and, as someone else said, are used for making mulch after the season, so they're repurposed. I'm also not a huge fan of fake plants in general, it just seems, well, fake and somehow less genuine. Though I'm trying to get over that because I realize that's me being kind of stuck up. : / Working on it, but for now, real tree or no tree.....maybe a big branch.....
December 2, 2012 at 4:56pm   
myosotis
I'm an avid gardener, and there are no fake plants in my house, except for the fake Christmas tree. It breaks my heart to see all those beautiful tress cut down every year just to be used for week, if that long.
December 2, 2012 at 5:00pm     
pamhouser
they are grown just to be used for Christmas. I would never go and cut one down although we always did that when I was a little girl. Mine is up for at least 6 weeks and I enjoy every single minutes of it.
December 2, 2012 at 5:05pm   
karelina
I get a small potted tree and plant it after the holiday is over. It's good for the environment and I still get a the smell of a real tree.
December 2, 2012 at 5:32pm     
myosotis
I might do that when I can't or want to decorate my fake tree which is 7 feet tall and quite bushy. I use about 1200 lights and about 150 ornaments. It's getting to be a big chore and I'm not getting any younger.
December 2, 2012 at 5:41pm     
Trip Haynes
We had a real tree for years while growing up and I remember one particular Christmas where my mother found an ad in the paper of someone selling Cedar Trees any size for $20. So.. we took off in our huge Mercury station wagon and found the place with the cedars. The house we lived in at the time had 40' cathedral ceilings so we needed a fairly large one......well the tree was 25' tall and when we got it on the station wagon it literally looked like the Griswolds coming down the road. Needless to say my father was speechless when he saw it and had to build a special stand for it. It turned out beautiful and will never forget how much fun it was.
December 2, 2012 at 5:42pm   
mona1964
We do real trees for all the reasons mentioned, however this really reminds me of christmas time in america last year-- you all do the best trees-- memories of cousins house in california with the biggest tree i have ever seen in someones home, and not to mention their neighbour--6 trees in all different rooms of their house--several with walt disney themes or different colour tones--and all the decorations on homes and in the streets-- beautiful memories!
December 2, 2012 at 6:54pm   
jebrsemom
We too love the smell of a real tree, but had to switch to an artificial tree several years ago when our pediatrician determined that the reason our two youngest were super sick several years in a row a couple of weeks after Christmas was because they were possibly allergic to the mold that emanates from the water in the tree stand. Sure enough - the next year we got an artificial tree and no more sick children in January. jebrsemom
December 2, 2012 at 8:19pm   
summilux
My wife and I have alway had real trees since we've been together. Among the reasons: we think they're prettier, there's at least 1/2 dozen Christmas tree farms within a 20 minute drive so we're supporting local businesses, they're recyclable, and- not the least- a large tree is proportional to the designated space. OTOH, I don't know how many more years we'll be able to cutdown/move a wet 10ft noble. We just got ours today; we'll be dressing her up in the next few days.
December 2, 2012 at 8:53pm     
lynnesulik
For years we enjoyed hunting down the perfect shaped and sized real tree but at the end of the season when I had to put the then very sad looking, dying tree outside I felt guilty for using such a beautiful tree just for our pleasure. We now have an artificial tree and enjoy it without the guilt.
December 3, 2012 at 12:31am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
summilux,
Love the tree, love the house, and love that you love books!!!!! When is the party?
December 3, 2012 at 4:10am     
PRO
Lowes Home Improvement
allergic to the sap and arms break out in rash that is berry red from decorating , happy I finally learned my lesson and bought artificial tree.
December 3, 2012 at 5:46am     
kittdee
I also am allergic to the trees. We have had very nice artificial trees for years. I get to the point where I can't breathe and feel as if I have the flu. I do love the smell of a real tree and dearly miss it.
December 3, 2012 at 6:00am   
kittdee
I also am allergic to the trees. We have had very nice artificial trees for years. I get to the point where I can't breathe and feel as if I have the flu. I do love the smell of a real tree and dearly miss it.
December 3, 2012 at 6:00am   
mollythecollie
For several years now, we have had an artificial tree. I loved supporting the local tree farms and the fun of cutting down the tree as a family. It makes wonderful memories. However my son and I are both allergic. We did try hosing down the tree before bringing it in, and that helped some. Our eyes and nose are much happier with the artificial. I have wondered if we did a different variety such as a spruce instead of fir or pine, if we could go back to a real tree??
December 3, 2012 at 7:31am     
catherineslater
We just got an artificial tree. I have mulled all the ecological and economic pros and cons for years and finally made a decision. Trees are valuable for many reasons in nature plus they are the only good carbon sinks (necessary to lower greenhouse gases and prevent more Hurricane Sandy's) and I feel guilty about killing the young ones, even if grown on farms. I think we have to see all nature in a different light - with a lot more respect, less as a commodity for our use. Over-population and over-consumption have taken us to the very edge of the carrying-capacity of nature. Our survival and the survival of all life depends on a new view - the Great Turning of Mankind, so to speak. sorry if this sounds pedantic...I am a biologist.
December 3, 2012 at 7:49am     
remopup
Trees are like the lungs of the planet. And, they provide habitat for birds and other wildlife. CO2 is a major contributing element to the greenhouse effect. Trees trap CO2 from the atmosphere and make carbohydrates that are used for plant growth. In return, they give off oxygen. Christmas tree farms are a great commercial source for these two natural benefits to the planet. And they smell nice too !
December 3, 2012 at 7:55am   
remopup
Trees are like the lungs of the planet. And, they provide habitat for birds and other wildlife. CO2 is a major contributing element to the greenhouse effect. Trees trap CO2 from the atmosphere and make carbohydrates that are used for plant growth. In return, they give off oxygen. Christmas tree farms are a great commercial source for these two natural benefits to the planet. And they smell nice too !
December 3, 2012 at 7:55am     
PRO
Designing Richmond
I always get a real tree... Love the smell!
I don't feel bad ecologically, because the trees come from farms...that could otherwise be tract homes. They are always replanted, providing a prepetual oxogen source. Christmas tree Farms are usually family businesses that have been around for generations... For instance... This years trees were most likely planted by the previous generation!
What happens if we don't do live Christmas Trees? The Tree farms go out of business, Huge lots of land go up for sale... homes and factories go up in their place... Just a thought :)
December 3, 2012 at 8:12am     
PRO
Granite Grannies
I have to have a real tree. They both look good, but bringing a whole living tree into the house during a not so green winter month really helps me get rid of the stuck inside winter blues. Plus, like so many others have noted, it's much better environmentally and for the economy to buy a local tree from a constantly renewed tree farm than to buy a big plastic tree that was probably made overseas and will only be added to a landfill in a few years. I attached a picture of my beautiful little tree I got this year! The church across the street from my house was selling them so I just carried it home!
December 3, 2012 at 8:44am     
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
No choice but to keep it real. Look, smell and feel of the holidays. There is nothing better!
December 3, 2012 at 8:45am   
justj
Torn! I am undecided. I'll keep dressing up the gifted 3ft artificial and now I also have a live rosemary tree-shaped bush I bring inside for holiday gatherings. I may tuck in a wired ribbon in its fragrant leaves.
December 3, 2012 at 8:45am   
catherineslater
Or, instead of homes and factories, the green space around communities is protected - reverted to natural space and agricultural land (small farms) for long-term sustainability of local nature, recreation and local food-supply. Like European communities that we love to visit, residents live in compact, walkable, cyclable, communities with lots of paths, public spaces and green space. The eco- and tax-costly, post-WWII North American invention of "car-dependent" sprawl community (originally, as a post-war car and oil based economic driver) is stopped. Interiors of cities are revitalized. See "smart growth" city design. Yes, young farm trees do produce O2 and consume CO2 (That kept me buying them for years!) but their volume and production is small, especially the first several years as saplings. Better a maturing, multi-aged forest over 60 plus years left to do its business...forests are also important in regulating the moisture and ground water balance of an area (to add to remopup's good list, thanks). This is a paradigm shift from current thought, however it is already being taken seriously by many city planners. But we are leaving home design. I will stop now. Merry Christmas to All! All the Best for 2013! [I am a clunk on home design. That is why I am at this site...Thanks!]
December 3, 2012 at 8:47am     
marlee_parkin3
We get a real Christmas tree because they are prettier, smell better, and fake Christmas trees are more flammable.
December 3, 2012 at 12:15pm     
marlee_parkin3
We get a real Christmas tree because they are prettier, smell better, and fake Christmas trees are more flammable.
December 3, 2012 at 12:16pm     
Fran Mele
MARLEE WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS TYPE OF TREE .I USED TO GET THIS WHEN I LIVED IN CALI AND LOVED IT
December 3, 2012 at 12:30pm   
Fran Mele
MARLEE WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS TYPE OF TREE .I USED TO GET THIS WHEN I LIVED IN CALI AND LOVED IT
December 3, 2012 at 12:31pm   
Fran Mele
December 3, 2012 at 12:31pm   
Elise
Allergies!
December 3, 2012 at 4:47pm     
PRO
JAN MOYER
lol......lots of MULTIPLE posts huh?
December 3, 2012 at 4:54pm   
leclosneuf13
Have been using my metal tree for years now. Cannot abide the fake ones and the real ones (not those in tubs that get re-used) break my heart. What a waste of the earth's abundance.
December 3, 2012 at 5:54pm     
kimmasterbath
See Sunset magazine article Dec. 2012! PVC plastic trees can not be recycled and end up in a landfill. Most of them are made to last about 6 years. Fresh trees absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen. After use, 93% of them are recycled becoming wood chips for use in parks and on dirt slopes to reduce erosion. Save the planet and go fresh!!!
December 3, 2012 at 9:27pm   
kimmasterbath
See Sunset magazine article Dec. 2012! PVC plastic trees can not be recycled and end up in a landfill. Most of them are made to last about 6 years. Fresh trees absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen. After use, 93% of them are recycled becoming wood chips for use in parks and on dirt slopes to reduce erosion. Save the planet and go fresh!!!
December 3, 2012 at 9:27pm   
vtag
Trying something new this year, renting a live tree from a local nursery...pot is big so we will see how it goes but feels good to not waste a tree:)
December 3, 2012 at 11:26pm     
lynnesulik
What a good idea about recycling the trees into wood chips - I am still not sure about cutting down trees in the thousands just for display purposes. Here in Africa we don't have sophisticated recycling programmes yet and most of the Christmas trees get thrown away afterwards.
December 4, 2012 at 7:22am     
Jannie
We bought our first artificial tree a couple of weeks ago. I debated with myself for months this year and read everything and jerked myself around with guilt over the "real thing". The final conclusion was that we would not spend a fortune on an artificial tree. We bought one at Costco that we could see and touch and imagine decorated in our home. And we woud evaluate the situation after this Christmas.
Now, as for HimSelf, he is fine with not having to spend the next 20-30 years going to a tree lot and determining which of the 300 trees were just right, fastening it to the roof of the car, then hauling it to the back yard and trimming the trunk, putting it into a wonderful cast iron tree stand we got in Norway and watering it every day for weeks. Plus, the only possible dedicated tree spot is in a south-facing picture window, so drying out quickly is a fact, not a possibility.
For me, the jury is still out. I loved going out in the cold, sometimes snow, to find and harvest trees each year when the kids were little. Now, they have children of their own and have established their own traditions. And going out to harvest a tree is not really feasible. Nor is hauling a live tree to plant later.
So this tree is perhaps going to be much like reading a book on my iPad. I NEVER, EVER thought I would be content with not having the actual paper and bindings of a "real" book. However, I realized quickly that it is the "content" of my books I love more than their presentation. The leather-bound volume is beautiful, but it is the words within that enthrall. And as for the tree, I know that the feelings and memories of the season are in my heart, not embodied in an object.
December 5, 2012 at 8:33am     
Cathy Lara
@janalive — what a thoughtful reply! And interesting analogy re actual, physical books and e-books.
December 5, 2012 at 9:02am     
haforr
I live in Australia, where finding a live tree is a challenge (as is keeping it alive in the heat!). When you do find them, they are often sourced from sustainable farms. Each January I break the tree down for mulch, which is so needed in the garden in mid-summer. Plus it brings me right back to the northern hemisphere Christmases of my childhood!
December 5, 2012 at 5:43pm   
olldroo
haforr, check out your local Boy Scout groups, many of them have a Christmas Tree sale day and the profits go to the Scouting organisation, which is a worthy cause. I admire your perseverence.
December 5, 2012 at 7:04pm   
haforr
Thanks for the tip, olldroo! In fact, the local Baseball Club (can you believe the irony, of all sports clubs in an Australian capital city, it's baseball) sells them. You don't get much choice and only one variety of tree, but it's a lovely one. Now just need to find the time to decorate it, and remember to water it at least twice a day!
December 5, 2012 at 10:02pm   
olldroo
Just shows we Aussies are very openminded when it comes to sports doesn't it :) Almost need a drip system to keep them damp. Do you get much pine smell from it though? My house is always so open for a fresh breeze no perfume lasts long.
December 5, 2012 at 10:11pm   
PRO
JAN MOYER
fakin it all the way....... leopard and feathers included! All ten feet of it.
December 6, 2012 at 5:37pm     
PRO
December 6, 2012 at 8:51pm     
mztrai
We actually bought two live trees and planted them in planters. The guy at the tree farm said that if we went up to the next largest size we would be able to keep them in the container for three more years :)
December 6, 2012 at 9:00pm     
2bze2bee
My favorite memories of Christmas has always been the excitement of smelling and picking a real Christmas tree. I've kept that family tradition with my children who are older now and still look forward to real Christmas tree picking each year. Life is short, enjoy the things you can while you can. Memories last forever.
December 7, 2012 at 10:16am     
Cathy Lara
@maison21 — oen of the best i've seen, actually. fabulous, indeed!
December 7, 2012 at 10:38am   
PRO
maison21
thank you, cathy!
December 7, 2012 at 2:02pm   
Elaine Morrison
I would really like to have a real Christmas Tree, love the smell of pine. When our kids were home we always went out cut our tree, now that were older.. we just can't do that anymore. I'm a Christmas tree nut and have several.:) Love the homemade ornaments. Elaine
December 7, 2012 at 5:26pm   
Kathleen
After a beautiful, overly expensive, real tree that needed to be delivered and installed leaked on the wood floor, I was done. Done with the mess, the falling needles and that they weren't really fresh in SoCal anymore. My 2 faux trees are lovely, hold all weights of ornaments, never drip sap and are covered in lights that I would never have the patience to attempt.
The smell comes from all the arrangements of fresh fir that can be changed easily in our dry, warm weather. I'll never go natural again!
December 8, 2012 at 11:07pm   
Suzanne DeTurris
I have had both. For my daughters first Christmas we bought a lovely real tree that turned brown (with constant watering) before Christmas I was very upset. We had a lovely artificial for a few years but after finding motherless kittens in our backyard found our artificial was too easy to climb (see pic),,. We have a new house this year and went for another real tree. I picked a dense one that the cats can't seem to get in...Although I'm feeling smug about it, we replaced the Family heirloom balls with plastic ones (again see pic). Let's see how it goes....
December 9, 2012 at 4:56am     
housestuffideas
This is our first year getting an artificial tree. We're just so done with the malfunctioning tree stand, the watering, pine needles, lighting issues, pine sap etc. It's also 9 feet tall--a natural tree of this size is very pricey. Finally, my kids love having our tree up in early December which we've never been able to do with a real tree because of the needle drop issues. Love our new tree and hope it lasts for many years!
December 9, 2012 at 4:57am   
Suzanne DeTurris
I have had both. For my daughters first Christmas we bought a lovely real tree that turned brown (with constant watering) before Christmas I was very upset. We had a lovely artificial for a few years but after finding motherless kittens in our backyard found our artificial was too easy to climb (see pic),,. We have a new house this year and went for another real tree. I picked a dense one that the cats can't seem to get in...Although I'm feeling smug about it, we replaced the Family heirloom balls with plastic ones (again see pic). Let's see how it goes....
December 9, 2012 at 4:57am     
olldroo
Thank you Suzanne, that so reminds me of my kitty, sadly no longer with us. He always toppled the tree before I could get a photo.
December 9, 2012 at 5:01am     
olldroo
I threw my artificial tree out last year after 44 years of faithful service and cat climbing. It didn't take a lot of special care and it bounced back every year.
December 9, 2012 at 5:08am     
Alison Grosso
An artificial tree is our way to go (although this year hubby didnt want me to "bother" putting it up) - prelit - we got it at an after-Christmas sale and it's already 5 years old. My best friend is rewiring hers this year - its lights went - but no need to throw it out - fixing it! My sister in law was allergic to real trees - that's what started us. Now I've found that quite a few of our friends and acquaintances are allergic. I do lots of candles - different Xmas smells - it works for us.
December 9, 2012 at 6:21am     
patty1973
We received a surprise with our last live tree. We cut it at a local farm, brought it home, set it up and started to add the lights. It was big, beautiful and lush but we soon realized something was amiss. Dozens of tiny, freshly-hatched spiders soon covered the tree. The trunk was riddled with spider egg cases and the heat of the house must have caused the hatch. The tree and its guests flew out of the house in a nano-second. Hence, the last live tree. We purchased a pre-lit artificial tree with a revolving stand and Christmas has been made more magical ever since. The revolving stand adds movement and sparkle and ornaments are displayed at their best. That was years ago and I've never regretted it.
December 9, 2012 at 6:24am     
Karla Dobson
We use both. About 6 years ago the live tree fell and a few crystal ornaments broke. Now we put the expensive ornaments on the artificial tree and the cheaper unbreakable ones on the live tree. The artificial tree stays up for 6 weeks and the live one is out the door in 2 weeks. We burn scented candles and it works out fine.
December 9, 2012 at 6:30am   
briannapone
I don't see the vacuuming as a con for a real tree: I have to vacuum my floors frequently anyway with a toddler and pets, the pine needles in the vacuum make my whole house smell fantastically Christmas-y! Real trees win out in the sense memory category.
December 9, 2012 at 7:38am   
johnpthatsme
Nothing says Christmas like killing a tree!
December 9, 2012 at 7:39am   
PRO
Lizbeth Carulla arquitecta
we've been using the same artificial tree for over 10 years now, we have no access to real trees as we did when we were kids.
here's the before and after of this year's setup
December 9, 2012 at 8:30am   
PRO
Lizbeth Carulla arquitecta
we've been using the same artificial tree for over 10 years now, we have no access to real trees as we did when we were kids.
here's the before and after of this year's setup
December 9, 2012 at 8:33am   
pegtales3452
Try living in the Southern Hemisphere! We are in the middle of summer.... It is hard imagining working up a sweat decorating a fake or real tree! Sad in some ways, but I have 50 plus years of wonderful memories in Europe and North America that sustain me. Guess ill go to the beach because baking cookies just "ain't gonna cut it!"
December 9, 2012 at 12:23pm     
Elaine Morrison
when we did have real tree's and it came time to take them down there was no family to be found.. then when it was all done,pine needles everywhere all over the carpet. Now i couldn't deal with it all.:)
December 9, 2012 at 1:03pm   
Katherine Drew_Jones
Even though I've had allergies since I was very young, my dad would always insist on getting a "real tree", and I'd always end up sick as a dog for Christmas. That first year with an artificial tree was a revelation! Now that I have kids with allergies as well? I'm with Cathy: my house smells of cookies, candies, and banana bread during the holidays, and that's good enough for us!
December 9, 2012 at 2:04pm   
5frenchgirl5
We had the same artificial tree for forty (yes - 40) years. I got it on sale when I was a student. I got many comments over the year about how nice it was to have a real tree, and it did look real. I think that, after 40 years, I could throw it away (it finally broke down and the branches wouldn't stay up) without too much worry about ruining the environment.
December 9, 2012 at 2:53pm     
onthemove
I have always resisted an artificial tree, mostly for the lack of fragrance, but also because there is something magical about bringing a real tree indoors and decorating it with your family. This year & going forward I need to be more mindful of costs and have decided that the investment in a "realistic" fake will pay for itself in about 5 years. I'll just have to get a candle or two to provide the scent. I look forward to no messy needles & putting my tree up earlier & taking it down later....extending the traditions of the season. Artificial trees, roping & wreaths have really come a long way...they'd have to to make a traditionalist like me buy into the idea!
December 9, 2012 at 7:43pm   
robinlharper
I like both. But, if I am going with artificial (which I have 3 small different size funky trees) I have the freedom of different creative displays. I decorate the large (approx. 4 ft) with the more elegant features. I.e. gold, off whites, and pearls. The next largest is with different colors. One of my favorites is purple. The smallest tree (probably 2 ft. high) I do with with my little creatures that I have collected throughout the years. That one is actually my favorite. This year I did see on a decorating program how to put put 3 or more trees together to make a spectacular display. I may try this next year.
I do however, love a fresh tree because of the smell. However, like everyone else, and for every other inconvenience mentioned, I haven't had one in years (which I swore I would never give up.....plus the cost for a quality tree has gone up so much that the extra cost has been prohibitive). There is so much you can do with not pretending an artificial tree is or even pretends to look like a real one.
December 9, 2012 at 9:36pm     
gibbensict
My husband are children are horribly allergic to pine. The artificial tree is the only way we can have a tree for Christmas.
December 12, 2012 at 5:03am     
gatewoej
The most important reason for using an artificial tree wasn't even mentioned. Real trees are a fire hazard. If you have ever seen a house after a tree fire you would never consider a ral tree again.
December 12, 2012 at 7:28am   
pcmom1
I've had the fake up since Dec 1st. Got a real 3 ft. one for the kitchen (smell!) a couple of days ago along with some free branches from the tree lot. I stick these into the fake tree here and there. Nothing makes a fake look more real than a few pine needles on the floor!
December 12, 2012 at 8:59am     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
No tree here either!
December 12, 2012 at 9:01am   
123elw
Lived for years in a hot, dry 5th-floor-walk-up apartment where I couldn't control the heat (other than by opening windows, not always an option). My choice has been artificial - can't risk the fire danger. And it's a lot easier stuffing the tree box in the back of the closet than carrying a live tree up and down my stairs.
December 12, 2012 at 10:15am   
dhfales
With two large Bernese Mt Dogs, we felt it would be easier this year with an artificial tree.
December 12, 2012 at 10:28am     
dicesore
I don't understand why anyone would want a fake anything in his or her house. Doesn't it defeat the purpose? Get a fake tree, light the ceramic logs, hang the plastic mistletoe, plug in the electric candles, and hang a pine tree air freshener. Sounds cozy, now we just need some fake people to complete the scene. It's a lot less trouble and mess than bringing in real people. Hope there's enough toufurkey for everyone.
December 19, 2012 at 6:16am     
olldroo
Ooooops - I have fake reindeer ....................
December 19, 2012 at 6:34am   
Suzanne DeTurris
I've already replied with a real tree but wanted to update on what I will be getting NEXT year. It will be a fake on after for the second time with a real tree all the needles are falling off after frequent watering and adequate water. We always had real growing up and wanted a real for my daughters first XMAS...that one turned brown so I went with an artificial...other than the cats invading it nightly and raiding the ornaments it was fine. THis year we are in a new home and wanted a large real tree.....so now I have the balls being raided every night along with an unbelievable amount of needles on the floor. I have been keeping the lights off as much as possible for fear of it's browning before XMAS again. BOOOO. Back to an artificial next year:(.
December 19, 2012 at 7:24am   
pcmom1
Just wanted to say, the ugly 3 foot plastic Santa outside on our front porch has a real, special place in my real heart!
December 19, 2012 at 9:23am     
heather888
thinking outside the box
December 19, 2012 at 9:31am   
PRO
KMZ Landscape Design
Real, I cut it down from under the power lines - so I can justify through helping hydro maintain the lines! I just love the smell of douglas fir and the wild ones have lots of room to hang ornaments. Happy holidays!
December 19, 2012 at 5:52pm   
Elaine Morrison
Dicesore:To each their own! But come on its Christmas. Here's why we have an artificial tree, we had 4 children and for years we went to the woods and then tree farms and cut our tree, back then it was a lot of fun. Now I'm lucky to get the tree out of the box, I'm happy with it. actually, I'm a tree nut, I have more than one,my daugther has a lot of fun over it, if we go shopping~~ Mom no more trees! Its got to be a joke between us. Actually, you can make fake trees look beautiful, along with my fake lights in the windows. When my Grandson was little he ask me why i had a light in the window. I told him, it was for him, so he would always know if he needed anything i would have a light in the window for him to come home too. He has never forgot that. Oh yea, we do have real people, who loves the real meaning of Christmas, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. ~~Merry Chriistmas, Elaine
December 19, 2012 at 7:47pm     
blubelle
Can't beat a good quality "non-drop" real tree. Just taking mine down and the smell still fills the house. Everyone commented on it. As for it's disposal, that's what husbands are for :-)
January 2, 2013 at 5:42am   
Suzanne DeTurris
@ blubelle why kind of tree did you buy? I have tried twice and ended up having a pine needle disaster with a bone dry tree. This is after frequent watering and not having it by the heating duct....
January 2, 2013 at 7:11am   
PRO
C.W.Pottery
I got both. An artificial one for the front room (street view) and real one for the great room. I love the smell and tradition of a real tree, This year I didn't decorate the artificial tree. No one could tell from the street and we never use the front room, so I saved myself a lot of time by just plugging it in.
January 2, 2013 at 7:37am   
mollythecollie
HI Suzanne, did you cut the bottom off of the tree right before putting it into the tree stand? The tree will quickly seal itself from where it was cut, so it has to be the last thing done before inserting into the stand. Dad would always have the water mixed with a little bit of molasses to the warm water ready to pour into the stand immediately. Rarely had many needles come off. We also always got the trees directly from a tree farm, so that it was as fresh as possible, but still always cut about two inches off the trunk. Hope this helps.
January 2, 2013 at 7:38am   
blubelle
Can't remember the exact specie but a reputable garden center will help. Just be sure to ask for non-drop needles. Mine has been up since the 8th and apart from that 1st watering, I have not touched it and it is almost against the radiator. It has dried slightly but only in so far as the needles are sharper. The colour is as good and it has held it's shape. Good luck next year!
January 2, 2013 at 7:39am   
PRO
Harvest House Craftsmen
Three weeks and coming down today, and only a few needles from my White pine fell to the floor.
I used a recipe from Pinterest for watering the tree, and I'm sure it worked. I may look into artificial for next year as three of us have have allergies to the real one. :(
1/2 cup bleach
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup baking soda
Add to water, worked for us, although perhaps we had a 'wet' tree? It's coming down today.

Happy New Year!!
January 2, 2013 at 7:54am   
pcmom1
I am very slowly taking down the Christmas things. I start with taking down "obviously Christmas" and leaving "merely winter". I find that eliminating everything all at once is too much of a shock to my system!

Happy packing up to all!
January 2, 2013 at 9:59am     
geer
Years ago we got 2 small artificial trees for grandma to enjoy decorating in her nursing home room. Now my toddler grandkids enjoy doing the same thing with many of the same unbreakable ornaments we gave G'ma. They aren't big or fancy, but the 'spirit of Christmas' is right there for us.
January 2, 2013 at 10:20am   
changeisagoodthing
We had a 14' real tree for many, many years. It came with a lot of work (and expense for ornaments, especially as I like a change from time to time) but was absolutely beautiful and was worth all the effort/expense. 3 years ago we bought a really good quality 9' artificial tree and I love it for different reasons, it's cleaner, easier to put up, decorate and take down and I can put it up on a moments notice and leave it up for as long as I like. It's very beautiful as well and I buy the balsam scented hangers that are designed for trees to give it that "real" scent.
January 3, 2013 at 4:49am   
PRO
JAN MOYER
pcmom1
The shock of removal is compensated by the breath of air that comes from "loosening" the decor and a thorough cleaning. My sister and I have a tradition of racing to undecorate on New Years Day... who can get rid of it fastest!! This week, I"ll enjoy fresh tulips in a huge vase, and revel in the clean, knowing its only 329 days till we start hauling it back out again.
January 3, 2013 at 4:58am   
PRO
Kala Construction Inc.
Real Christmas trees have several environmental benefits. These Christmas trees remove dust and pollen from the air, provides oxygen and freshen the atmosphere.
January 3, 2013 at 5:44am   
olldroo
Oh, Jan, really, counting days already!!!!
January 3, 2013 at 5:45am   
pcmom1
Jan, like the idea of fresh tulips. Next week! But if I tried to take everything down in one day...exertion would probably cause heart attack!
OK, another cup of coffee and I take down and pack away the "village".
January 3, 2013 at 8:22am     
rhondanik
I grew up with real trees & have always had one in my adult years. For me, it's a treasured Christmas tradition. Our sons are now young men but still single and will be home for Christmas. My husband will not go along with the real tree this year because he has reached an age where he fears it is a potential fire hazard. I will appease him in this but I'm sad about it. If ever given the choice again, I will have a real tree. I don't mind the needles and mess and I'm a neat freak/perfectionist. Two simple things I enjoy most in life are real Christmas trees and real fires in the fire place. Snap, Crackle, pop!
October 28, 2013 at 12:41pm   
olldroo
Goodness, where has the year gone, can't believe the decorations are in the shops already and it is time to start all this again.
October 30, 2013 at 2:08am     
rinqreation
I wish to get my living room plastered before christmas, so probably no tree at all.
October 30, 2013 at 2:21am   
junipergirl
The one time I got a real pine tree chopped fresh that day by someone else, I had an asthma attack. Didn't realise the sap and smell of the needles releasing something when the tree is cut would set me off. Baaaad tree! I don't do Christmas now the kids are adult and gone. I have an itty bitty gold tree which sits on the mantle piece and that is the extent of the deco's in the house.
October 30, 2013 at 2:34am     
olldroo
rinqreation - know the feeling, my living room was in pieces last Christmas - in fact most of the house was so I'm rather looking forward to making up this Christmas. No kids coming this year so won't do a tree but I've purchased a bookcase that will be my "mantle" to decorate, I was so inspired by all the beautiful mantles last year.
October 30, 2013 at 3:25am     
connieh1209
I love Christmas and have always wanted the "real" thing but I need to simplify the process. A friend of mine purchased a "flip" portable artificial tree from Frontgate. Wondering if anybody has reviews for this product.
October 30, 2013 at 4:33am     
solincia
I use a fake tree, 6 1/2 feet tall "pencil" tree. When I had my
first apartment it was skinny enough to fit in my small living room and we now use it to this day in our home.
October 30, 2013 at 7:13am     
kimdee24
I have a new, lovely, pre-lit artificial tree, 9' tall. Problem is, with my new configuration in the living room, I don't know where I'm going to put it this year. Dilemma.

I've always loved real trees, but they are too hard for me to manage alone, and I always 'feel sad' at the end of the season seeing all these perfect trees lying in the road for pickup. I know they get recycled into mulch, but it still seems so wasteful to me.
October 30, 2013 at 7:26am     
olldroo
Kd - get that basement done girl and put it down there. That will probably be where you will do most of your entertaining anyway. Keep your living room to some nice ornaments and table decorations, that can look really classy.

If I put a tree up, I like to spend time really decorating it, just not worth the time and effort on a real tree that is dead in a week.
October 30, 2013 at 5:49pm   
makennac
My choice is definitely an artificial tree. But I don't think they last any longer than real ones. Virtually every year my husband of 38 years goes downstairs to bring up last year's tree. Then he comes back up a couple of hours later, empty-handed, sadly shaking his head, and explaining why we need to buy a new tree. The 1,000 lights are the usual suspects. Although the manufacturer swears if one burns out the rest will remain lit, you know doggone well he deserves coal in his stocking. Sometimes the cause is a combination of entire sections of burned out lights and impossible-to-identify colored tips that are key to the assembly of the prickly little beast that seals its fate. Judging from the six human-body-sized, bulging boxes in our storage room we've amassed an impressive collection of at least six full-sized trees. My sweet, well-intentioned hubby, who works 80-hour weeks, has vowed annually to donate the old trees to charity, but his intentions seldom make it upstairs these days, which has a lot to do with our son, our only child, being a Marine. He doesn't talk about it. Like most men, he holds everything in so tightly, he clamps down on his lower lip with his front teeth to keep his feelings from popping out. Perhaps he opens up to his kindred spirits, the lonely trees, while he's downstairs pondering their fate. I hope so. I've begun looking forward to our annual trek to Home Depot to "chop down" our newest artificial tree from their pile of boxes. Our son got leave this year. I pray he makes it home safely. He'll be home with us and with his little girl. I can't imagine needing anything brighter than the lights in my granddaughter's five-year-old eyes. But Grampa will surely pick out a shiny new tree, with 1,000 blinking white lights, guaranteed to remain lit even if one burns out, by a person destined to receive coal in his or her stocking. M
October 30, 2013 at 9:27pm     
naureenwilks
Haven't seen mention of allergies to cut trees. I'd love a real tree but artificial makes a great 2nd choice!
December 6, 2013 at 2:01pm   
pcmom1
Makennanc, you could create a great forest look with all those old trees. Especially if they are different heights. Do you have a large family room?
December 6, 2013 at 3:56pm   
mketa
Defever- wise move. Our 8 mo kitten has decided our tree is there for his entertainment. After pulling off all the decorations he could reach from the floor, he now climbs it to knock down the high ones! Our tree is looking very bare now!
December 6, 2013 at 4:14pm   
nbdff38
I have an artificial tree in my dining room and a real tree in my family room.
December 9, 2013 at 1:11am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.