Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Vaulted Entryway
Kerry Chai
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I'm moving into my new home in a few weeks. When you walk through the front door, it's a big vaulted entryway that goes up to the second floor. There's a coat closet to your immediate right, and the "roof" of that coat closet makes for a weird "shelf" about 3 ft by 4 ft that you're staring at when you reach the second floor landing. Any ideas for decorating this area? Right now the current owner has a ficus tree there, but I wanted something else - and just about anything you stick up there is going to be a massive dust magnet. Thoughts? I'll add a picture to this post as soon as we take possession next week ;-)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
One day people will start demanding that these ledges be left out of the construction plans. My friend filled hers with a miniature "ice cream" chair and had a florist do a floral arrangement on the seat. Cute, but she had a housekeeper! What's your style? Farmhouse: old farm implements, collectibles: miniature children's furniture, and then there's baskets, or you can ignore it until something really strikes your fancy. I would focus on the entry and ignore the ledge/roof. If you do the rest of it right, people may never notice the issue unless they go upstairs and look down.
November 30, 2012 at 8:04am        Thanked by Kerry Chai
charleee
I had a ledge like that in a townhouse I owned. What a pain. There was a window on the far side of it too. If I had to do it again today, I would hang a curtain right at the edge of the ledge so it didn't look like a ledge at all.
November 30, 2012 at 8:15am      Thanked by Kerry Chai
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
I agree with deco above. Seems no matter what people put up there, it looks forced and fussy. You're better off dressing the window with simple, elegant drape panels and leave it at that.
November 30, 2012 at 8:18am      Thanked by Kerry Chai