Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for wood tones clashing
sbushong
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Please, does anyone have any ideas? My painter stained my cabinets a with much different cherry stain than I picked out. Thus, the cabinets clash and in fact look pink next to my floor.
The builder says there is nothing they can do, because it is too late. Is there something I can do to help that area by the bar look better. The floor looks alright in other areas such as by the fireplace. ????
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
yvonnecmartin
Tell the builder that he has to fix it. It is not your fault and you shouldn't have to live with it. If he offers you enough money you could paint the bar wood, but it has to be enough money to settle.
November 29, 2012 at 9:11pm     
olldcan
What does the builder mean "there's nothing that can be done because it's too late, REALLY since when!!!! If that's not the stain you picked out then it's just too bad for the painter and the builder. It"s unfortunate for sure but also not acceptable, don't sign off until they rectify this. You're right, they clash and there pink :(
November 29, 2012 at 9:13pm   
skris22
Try staining/painting the bar area in espresso color. Will work better with your floor color. Two tone kitchen with lower in espresso and upper in cherry might look nice
November 29, 2012 at 10:22pm     
November 29, 2012 at 10:37pm   
charleee
I completely agree with olldcan. You picked out the stain you liked, you paid for it and the builder goofed. A little sanding and a darker stain will take care of it. Don't settle !!!
November 30, 2012 at 3:24am     
michigammemom
The brown/pecan tones of your hardwood floors call for similarly stained cabinets ranging from golden oak to espresso. I would not consider any cherry stain with red undertones.
November 30, 2012 at 3:49am     
kimberlysc
A soft white cabinet would be gorgeous with floor and countertop. This would also be an easier fix for builder and you would not have sanding in your finished home.
November 30, 2012 at 6:17am     
kimberlysc
I looked at pic again. I think the builder needs to put a more substantial base trim around island.
November 30, 2012 at 6:19am   
Dar Eckert
It would be hard to re-stain the wood once it has been sealed but there are some nice finishes like Minwax that could be brushed over the wood to darken it. They allow the wood grain to show through.
November 30, 2012 at 6:25am   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I would bring in a faux finisher and have the cabinets stained darker and try to eliminate as much red as possible.

Curious, is it that the selected stain was actually used, but looks much different on these particular cabinets than it did on the sample or did they truly use an incorrect stain? When we built our home, I had the builder obtain stain from the manufacturer of our cabinets to be used on all of the woodwork in the house. The intent was that all of the woodwork would then blend. The woodwork was a different wood species and came out MUCH different from our cabinets. No one's fault - he did what we asked. Over time, we just had to fix the issue as we could afford to do so.
November 30, 2012 at 7:15am     
decoenthusiaste
Check rustoleumtransformations.com for a solution if the builder dumps it on you.
November 30, 2012 at 7:30am