Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need serious design help!!
Rachel Sorensen
November 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I got the greenery and plates for above my cabinets this summer but now I feel like it doesn't look good! I need to know if it does and if it doesn't what I should do.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rachel Sorensen
Also I like neutral colors.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:43PM
houssaon
The plates and greenery don't add any think to your kitchen. I'd like to see the ceiling and the walls in a light tan color. A pretty print over the sink would look good.
2 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:47PM
suzie123
i would take that down. i would either leave it clean and add a backsplash. If you want to put something there, i would add a collection of baskets and keep the single cabinet free of anything.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 10:50PM
cece7
I would take it down. I kind of think I would change to lights I think some lights that hang would like nice in there I. I don't really think you need anything above the cabinets.
2 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 11:58PM
cece7
Sorry I meant to say I think I would change THE lights in there...
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 12:00AM
charleee
The current trend is to have nothing on top of the cabinets. I agree with cece7, better lighting! I need to do the same thing in my kitchen. I like how you don't have clutter all over your countertops, too.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 3:00AM
PRO
Lisa Davenport Designs
Happy Friday Rachel~
I'm in agreement with much of what is posted here.
-Yes, clear off the tops of the cabinets, and leave them bare....
-You absolutely need a backsplash, this will tie the lone cabinet floating in 'no mans land' back into the kitchen. I've attached a great simple, neutral tile suggestion below by Dal Tile
- change out your lighting, if you want to keep the layout & not rip out the ceiling for recessed cans try dropping the light into a ceiling medallion, here's a link to a kitchen I did a few years ago with a medallion ..... This medallion shows recessed cans but the idea can be repurposed for a single fixture also.

-a large piece of art .... Maybe an antique poster will help define the space over the sink .... While you like neutral tones, you need a little punch of color
-consider changing your hardware on the cabinets, brushed nickel or chrome will help give some definition to the cabinets, they're a little flat right now
-lastly I can't tell from your photos but, if you have an eat in counter ... Use some stools with color...

Hope you found these and other suggestions helpful!
~Lisa
2 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 4:18AM
rosiegabby
The stuff above the cabinets doesn't work because the space above is too small. Over cabinet lighting would be better.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 5:07AM
rosiegabby
If you get rid of the cabinet over the fridge you can put some appropriately sized stuff over it.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 5:09AM
nomadkath
its a nice kitchen...I think it just needs a bit of pulling together. the cabinet to the left of the sink stands out way too much. I like Lisa's art work and backsplash idea. if you want even easier, how about raised shelves over the sink with a pendant halogen instead of the ceiling light fixture. To the left of the sink, move the cannisters to the right and put a large stoneware vase with tall twigs/greens to soften and distract from the hard edge of that lone cabinet. and I would change the plug covers and switch plates to a color closer to the wall....they are distracting--you could also paint them the same color as the wall. A little color on the shelves and towel would be good.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 5:58AM
Rachel Sorensen
Thanks everybody. And Lisa where would I find a piece of artwork like this??? I don't want to spend a fortune on a pic but I had thought of doing a pic there for a long time.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 6:20AM
Natalie
Hi---yes definitely a backsplash and better lighting. I also suggest installing shelves across the sink area to unite the cabinets---Doing so would be a big improvement. Good Luck! [houzz=
]
2 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 6:24AM
PRO
Lisa Davenport Designs
So glad you like the suggestions Rachel!

I don't know your taste, but I think you can probably find what you're looking for on allposters.com
I think you can go a large as 24WX36H but not smaller than 18WX24H, my intent with my sugestion is to really fill the space.
here are a few suggestions:
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Marcello-Dudovich-Vermouth-Martini-and-Rossi-Art-Print-Poster-Posters_i8757729_.htm
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Heinz-Magazine-Advertisement-USA-1910-Posters_i4968539_.htm

Have a great weekend!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 1:59PM
PRO
Lisa Davenport Designs
Sorry the links didn't appear with images ......here's a snap shot of the posters I suggested!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 2:00PM