Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What colour curtains?
Liz Cole
November 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want plain curtains and a nice roller blind in lounge window, what colour would suit? Carpet is a very light greeny/blue colour so want to break the room up a bit. Also what colour rug? As its a difficult carpet colour
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
beattieboggs
Hi, its a bit difficult to see the colors in the room. Is it possible to post photos taken during the day?
November 30, 2012 at 4:13am     
Liz Cole
Here's pics in daylight
November 30, 2012 at 4:18am   
olldroo
I would also like to see more photos of the room showing all 4 walls. Do you live in a hot or cold climate? What is the aspect of your room does it need cooling or warming colours? Your carpet sounds a lovely restful colour as well as being a cool colour, but I'm a bit confused as to the colour of your lounge, it has a light colour set in one photo and a dark colour in the other. For starters, can you move the lounge under the window down to where the kitty is and have it facing the door? I don't think it looks very inviting where it is. I would definitely have full length curtains, they look more elegant, and keep them in a plain cream As you like cushions, I would change them to deeper shades of the carpet and add yellow or coral colours for pop. I can't see but it looks like you could possibly do with some artwork too.

I would not have an area rug, I think your room is too small and it would give it a cluttered look. Also rugs on top of carpet can rub the carpet and ruin it. Maybe you could consider an ottoman in front of one lounge and have that in a pattern if you want to break things up a bit.

I think if you work with the carpet colour and cream, you will have a lovely clean looking, restful room, but I would like to see more of the room to check furniture placement.
November 30, 2012 at 4:54am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
The room is neutral enough that you could put any color you want on the drapes. What colors are you drawn towards?
November 30, 2012 at 4:58am   
Liz Cole
Sofa in lounge
November 30, 2012 at 4:58am   
Liz Cole
I am not 100% sure. I am thinking of a natural cream coloured curtain, but can't be too log as it would drape over radiator! I live I the uk so cold at the moment! Do you think a roller blind would go to? Ill add more pics
November 30, 2012 at 5:02am   
olldroo
I think I would go for a roman blind if that is the case, bit nicer than just a roller blind, and forget curtains unless you just had side panels to dress it up a bit. Is it safe to have the lounge in front of the radiator like that?

Sorry I have to get to bed, past midnight here, will come back tomorrow.
November 30, 2012 at 5:08am   
Liz Cole
So do you think maybe some brighter coloured cushions too? I don't like clutter but was thinking of a small coffee table in the middle?
November 30, 2012 at 5:10am   
olldroo
I think you do need a table or something. You definitely don't have the room for clutter but I just feel furniture needs rearranging. I am presently redoing my lounge room and have chosen a cream carpet, cream curtains and a lounge that is possibly quite similar to your carpet so I can really relate to your colours. I'm thinking colour like this, although this is more blue it still would work with your colour. [houzz=
]
November 30, 2012 at 5:20am     
olldroo
Actually if you look in my ideas book I have a special one for my loungeroom with quite a few photos. Although a lot are more blue, your carpet colour will still work. Might give you a few ideas.
November 30, 2012 at 5:23am   
November 30, 2012 at 6:00am   
Liz Cole
I've added more colour
November 30, 2012 at 12:40pm   
olldroo
Not the curtain sorry. I'm leaning more and more to just a roman blind - the short curtains almost look to me like I'm waiting for them the open and the movie to start. I don't mean that in a nasty way, I have a quirky sense of humour. The blue cushions do make a difference only you can tell if they compliment the carpet.

I am a little concerned as you live in the UK that all your colours so far are cold colours, I think a little warming up would help and that is where the orange/light terracotta colours would help. Do you like those colours? I didn't notice the ottoman in the photo I posted at first but I think something along those lines (only more modern) and size would be a nice change from a coffee table and just take some plainness from the room.
December 1, 2012 at 12:43am   
emkay1919
I think white would match the room as it usually matches any colour. I couldn't see the colours in the picture that well put I still defiantly recommend white. Good luck with decorating :)
December 1, 2012 at 12:59am   
olldroo
emkay, liz has said she likes the natural cream curtaining so I was running with that. What is your opinion on the length of the curtain though? I know I only think long for elegance but the heater is in the way of that.
December 1, 2012 at 1:08am   
Liz Cole
I love long curtains that touch the floor but cannot have them by the radiator unfortunately. I love the image below. I will get a nice blind eventually but I still want some kind of curtain. Maybe a cream colour that just drapes slightly.
December 1, 2012 at 2:51am   
Liz Cole
Lounge
December 1, 2012 at 3:10am   
olldroo
Understand about the radiator Liz. I think that photo is the perfect answer for you, it is just a matter of you getting colours right to suit your room. Definitely like the cream curtains, your room looks fairly small and the walls look cream so one colour will make the room look larger.

Don't know how high the heater is - can you drop the curtains down behind the lounge a bit so there is no break? I think that will look better and it won't be obvious in the room exactly where the curtains end. If you are going to close them then I would keep a fairly generous drape to them, otherwise it could spoil the effect.

Do you have a rug or something on the lounge seat - it keeps changing colours.

So once you have cream walls, lounge and curtains that will be a nice neutral base to build some colour with cushions that will compliment the carpet. Follow the photo and you can't go wrong. You didn't say if you liked the coral as an accent but if you feel the room looks a little cold when you are finished, a warm colour like that will help. Do you have a local store you can purchase cushions to try out and easily return?

I think I would change the mirror to some artwork too, to compliment the colours in your room. That will make a big difference.

Good luck, take things slowly and I think you are going to have a lovely room.
December 1, 2012 at 4:04am   
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Hi Liz,

The inspirational image you posted above looks lovely doesn't it. :) I think that once you put a window covering in the window to take care of light and privacy issues you can have full panels on either side that don't close. The window itself is fantastic and tells me that you must live in an older home, a shutter or faux wood blind in a dark colour, same as the window, with cream or pale blue panels would look great. The reason I have suggested a dark colour is so that when they are open you can easily see through to the lovely architecture of your window. You could also look at a roller shade as in the picture, which could be the most cost effective option depending on the fabric you chose. This option is only recommended though if you don't mind having the your room totally exposed to the outside when they are up. As it is when you open your current curtains

Is it a hot water radiator that you have? If so you may think about making a cover for it, if it doesn't have one already. www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-radiator-co-148104 I don't know what you have opposite this window wall but if the sofa could be moved on the other side of the room and you covered the radiator (assuming it's a lovely iron hot water one) you could add a small chair or a bench for more seating and visual interest.

If you live in a cold air climate having something as large as your love seat in front of it doesn't let you take full advantage of the heat.

Cheers
Mary
December 1, 2012 at 5:13am     
More Discussions
Silver & gold leafing
I want to silver leaf my half bath. Should I re-paint...
Don't Let My Dining Room Down!!!!!
Hello! My dining room really wants some help! It has...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
To drop or not to drop
Am installing ceilings in my new house and am mulling...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.