powered by
Need help making roman swoop valance
November 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a double window in my kitchen, and I would like to make a stationary roman swoop valance with an inside mount for each window. I need some guidance as to how much fabric to allow for the gathered swag at the bottom and for side seams.
I haven't sewed in years, so I've forgotten quite a bit. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
I'm not sure what a Roman swoop valance is, is it something like this? [houzz=KH Window Fashions, Inc.]
OR [houzz=Finishng Touches]
November 30, 2012 at 1:38PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
It's similar to those photos, but the ends pull up. The roman swoop valance is sometimes also called a mock or faux relaxed roman shade, because it is stationary and doesn't operate as a traditional roman shade does.
November 30, 2012 at 1:50PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ok, well, in both of these pictures there is no gathering, so you would buy fabric to cover only the width of the window plus the return on the rod plus seam allowance. So, say you have a window that is 40" wide, the rod has a 3" return on both sides, and you do a 1" seam allowance on both sides. 40 + 6 + 2 = 48".

Does that make sense?
November 30, 2012 at 1:57PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Yes, it does. Thanks so much!
November 30, 2012 at 1:59PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
You're welcome, no problem ! But remember if you want it to be gathered at the top, the general rule is 2 -2 1/2 times the width. Have fun with it!
November 30, 2012 at 2:03PM   
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
My living room
We recently painted our living room gray to match the...
Exterior paint colors? Remove or paint brick?
We will be selling soon and want to paint our house...
Color suggestion
I'm looking for a color to paint my room to make it...
Help choosing a backsplash and paint for kitchen
We have just gone through a HUGE kitchen remodel and...
Front door dilemma
We will be replacing the front porch, same size but...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.