Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint Color for Small No Sunlight Living Room
lnd1215
November 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I recently got married and moved into my new husband's house. It definitely needs a woman's touch for sure. He has a very small house and the living room has NO NATURAL SUNLIGHT. I am definitely painting it but I don't know what to paint it with it having no natural sunlight and whatever color the walls are painted will have to match our brand new brown leather couches. Need help!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
aandrews361
you want to create the look of sunlight without the actual light- I think I nice antique yellow would really make the room pop and look bigger. Hope this helps!
November 30, 2012 at 8:31pm   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Try a lighter shade of the brown, your art work needs to be moved down and try something a bit larger with more colour if you want to bring some into the room. See the visual attached, Use a washable flat finish and good lighting so the room feels brighter.
November 30, 2012 at 8:46pm   
PRO
Here's a more yellow gold colour so you can see the difference
November 30, 2012 at 8:50pm   
Darzy
How about antique white walls and a chocolate brown ceiling? Large artwork and blue accessories to go with the chair? Here is a white wall/brown ceiling. I think your ceilings are high enough for this look. Maybe have the door wall the chocolate color as well?

November 30, 2012 at 8:58pm     
Dora Tokarski
I think Darzy's idea is great! Anntique white would make the room seem brighter and larger. The brown ceiling also would be perfect for the room, but not too dark of brown. The brown color on the wall shown is nice. Another nice brown shade is one that looks like a coffee color where you added a little bit of cream to it. Very similar to the one shown, just a tad bit lighter. Does that make sense? I don't think any other color besides antique white will make the room feel like there is sunshine or light in the room. Good luck
November 30, 2012 at 10:58pm     
Manon Floreat
I love the idea of antique white walls and a chocolate ceiling. Brilliant, Darzy! The antique white will have some yellow in it to brighten the space and the colored ceiling will be a great feature for a windowless room.

I'll add that really well thought out lighting and reflective elements (mirrors, glass,etc.) will help make up for the absence of windows.
December 1, 2012 at 12:06am     
charleee
Darzy, good job! You nailed it!....olldbob
December 1, 2012 at 2:57am     
anitajoyce
Tan or beige will brighten the space.
December 1, 2012 at 5:12am   
PRO
Love the antique white Darcy. My original concern was that the space looks small and if the walls were too light the dark brown sofa and chair would just make everything seem smaller, hard to know without more info.
December 1, 2012 at 5:23am     
victorianbungalowranch
Any possibitity of a skylihgt in there? The kind that fit between the trusses and don't open are the most economical. There are light tubes too, but they don't bring in that much light.
December 1, 2012 at 5:41am     
More Discussions
Need help with juliet balcony waterproofing (decorative railing)
I have a bay window and I would like to install a decorative...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...
What kind of faucet?
I have bone corian counter tops and slate floors My...
Are your dogs allowed on the couch/bed?
Do you let your dogs sit with you on the couch or sleep...
dried flower arrangement
My husband thinks this dried flower arrangement is...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.