Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Home Depot white kitchen??
maloumalou72
December 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I was all set with my kitchen with a local kitchen designer when a friend mentioned to my husband that we could do "exactly" the same kitchen for less from Home Depot. My heart sank. Now he is, of course, all in for the Home Depot kitchen. Can anyone calm my fears with photos of a white Home Depot kitchen? Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feeny
I can't give you a direct comparison since I don't know what you were planning with the local kitchen designer. But I do know that when a friend of mine started to plan a white kitchen from Home Depot she got discouraged that they didn't make clear to her that the cabinets she had chosen were MDF rather than a combination of solid wood doors and plywood frames; she also hadn't noticed at first that the cabinet doors were standard overlay rather than full overlay, and a number of other details that were visibly cheaper and not what she wanted. So I'd make a very careful comparison and research what you really want in your kitchen. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the kitchens at Home Depot or anywhere else. But there are lots of details that make a difference between both the durability and design of one kitchen vs another, even if from a distance (or in a husband's eye) they look similar.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 8:09AM
maloumalou72
Oh! Good points! Thank you
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 8:22AM
PRO
ct design studio
I think feeny has given you a good overview. There are skilled designers at Home Depot, however the quotes I've seen come from there have not been detailed. You have to understand exactly what you are getting to compare, it will come down to details, quality of construction and finish, little things like overlay and hinges etc. At a glance the Home Depot kitchen may look fine to hubby but you have to ask why does it cost so much less.

I always encourage clients to get the best they can afford, the savings will be in how many years the cabinets will last and how good they will look and function down the line. Good luck!
2 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 8:50AM
PRO
Dytecture
There is nothing really 'wrong' with kitchen qualities from big box home improvement stores. The only limited factor is they tend work with from their standardized boxes and if you require some unique or customization it might not be possible or cost you a lot more.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 9:43AM
stephanielangford
The "skilled" "designers" are sent to a kitchen design course for 3 weeks. Independant kitchen places typically hire interior designers. When purchasing a painted kitchen the difference between high end and low end is the durability in the finish. They may look the same now, but in 3-5 years you will be able to tell the difference in the quality of the finish (the higher end will last longer). The other difference is in the quality of the box construction. A kitchen should last you 20+ years. Cheaper cabinets us a loose particle board compared to a higher quality manufacturer which typically use higher quality "dense" particle board for their interior.

Many of the difference from low end to high end products are hidden in the quality of materials and the steps in constructing and finishing your doors. Like I said above, they may look the same now...but in 5 years you will have wished you spent the extra money !

If your doors are painted maple wood, be prepared for cracking at the joints (doesn't matter what quality you buy)
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 10:11AM
olldcan
Don't assume anything in comparing one company to the other. Compare product to product. Home Depot (big box in general) carries a wide selection of various qualities so when pricing things out, compare apples to apples. Same box, same hardware, same door, same same same. I must say that there truck load events on cabinets at Home Depot off limited sizes, there regular stock offers more options as to size and there S/O vendor suppliers, do the works. Many times at Home depot, you'll notice it costs much less.... theres a simple explanation to that!!! They aren't interested in just selling you cabinets once every 20 years. They price themselves accordingly to gain your other business. Counter top, sink, faucet, hardware, plumbing supplies, appliances, backsplash, flooring, paint etc etc etc. The idea is this, make small amounts of profit several times, over several projects at home and it will add up.
I ended up getting a better price through Home Depot than I did from the vendor that supplies this product directly to Home Depot. Me as a single customer will buy 1 maybe 2 of this item in a life time. Home Depot as the customer to the vendor will buy thousands and that warrants buy power and the better retail price.
I'm not waving orange pom, poms around either because they have irked me a time or two but I will say this. I had a s/o company not willing to warranty there product. HD stepped in and problem resolved, immediately. Good thing too because what good was my 10 year warranty when they weren't in business 2 years later.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 10:19AM
PRO
ct design studio
Many interior design students get their start at big box stores and many stay a long time by choice rather than moving on to an independent showroom. I felt I would be doing them a disservice by not acknowledging them and would come off as downright snobby as a degreed designer in a high end showroom by generalizing. But yes, the skill level at Home Depot varies greatly while the products are "as is". :)
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 10:22AM
maloumalou72
So penny wise and pound foolish as me mum would say!
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 10:28AM
olldcan
exactly :)
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 10:32AM
PRO
ct design studio
So I don't want to come across as argumentative, but when you are comparing products, keep in mind some HD products are the same, but many are not. Some companies will put the same thing in HD stores, the pricing is due to volume. But many companies have a seperate production line and the products are not the same for cost cutting reasons. Bottom line is do your homework to make the best decision for you. :)
ruthmand
When we decided to redo our 30 yr old kitchen I decided that I wanted euro-style mahagony cabinets made by DeWils which are carried by a local dealer/building supply store. While they were making up an estimate my husband decided to go to Home Depot, spoke with their kitchen designer and insisted that I get an estimate from them as well. So I did - for the exact same layout - for their top of the line KraftMaid cabinets. For cabinets only, the DeWils (semi custom and top quality) came in several thousand dollars lower than the Home Depot's price. Frankly, I was surprised but am loving my mahagony cabinets!
jacquelinefaith
Home Depot has Martha Stewart line of kitchen cabinets now.....they really look nice in store. We are thinking of getting them in white.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 6:03PM
maloumalou72
Have you seen a kitchen done with it? It's hard for me to visualize what a HD kitchen would look like. At kitchen showrooms I can see what they look like once installed. I need that! :)
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 8:26PM
maloumalou72
Someone mentioned maple cabinets. If not maple, which wood is best (it'll be painted white)? Thanks!
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 8:45PM
minemine
skoutoupis made a good point. If you are going with painted wood cabinets the paint will crack where the pieces of wood are joined, unless you are going with slab doors. The reason is the expanding and contracting of the wood from humidity in the kitchen. If this is something that will bother you, do not get wood. MDF can be routed out to look like raised panel, Shaker style, etc. When a good finish is put on it will look like wood. Just keep in mind that wood can be refinished, whereas MDF cannot. I know that Home Depot cabinets can look good in a showroom, but you need to get all of your wants down in writing. Some of the showroom samples may have features that are not standard, but rather upgrades, which will add to the cost. An example would be the soft close hardware, wood versus melamine drawers, wood versus melamine boxes. Also, go online and check out the reviews for the lines Home Depot carries. What is their customer service like if you run into an issue? What type of warranty do they have? These are just some points to consider.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 9:38PM
Cindy Spritzer
I have a hd white kitchen and it is 13 years old and has held up well. I was on a tight budget and it still looks good;)
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 3:24PM
step06
What brand was your other manufacturer? Home Depot has proprietary naming rights so you may be able to get the same cabinet, just different name. Their thomasville line is an example of this....I have had clients do this quite often. The only complaint I have had is the lack of customer service and knowledge from the HD staff,, example: not ordering the necessary accessory parts, toe kick, etc...
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:02PM
parrotheadchic
I have a white kitchen and wipe every cabinet every other week. I never wiped my wood stain that often. I strongly suggest the appropriate size handles and no MDF. Knobs are not a good idea. If you do go with home depot only use a certified installer or you will have no recourse if something goes wrong. I always ask for 2 insurance certificates- Liability and Workers Comp. This will sort out the professionals and protect you!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:06PM
step06
I agree...I would go one step further. Buy the cabinets at Home Depot....but use a different installer. I have found Home Depot guys cutting corners as their margins are so tight.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:20PM
nevadan
I agree!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:23PM
nevadan
I agree!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:24PM
maloumalou72
Anyone care to share a photo of their HD kitchen? I've never see one (only in their advertising...)
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 7:09PM
More Discussions
How to keep dogs from slipping on my new curved wooden steps-14 stair
My curved stair case with two landings was redone,...
Bathroom walls
I want to have a chair rail in my bathroom with half...
Need help with cabinet colour and flooring complimentary goal
My husband is wanting a richer maple cabinet colour...
Blinds/Window Treatment Needed
I want/need to lighten this room (overhaul it too,...
Can a flush mount light be converted into a hanging chandelier?
My friend fell in love with a hanging chandelier that...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.