Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help With Entryway Colors
dupsl001
December 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This is my entryway to my condo. I've got a green steel coat hanger where the hooks look like exterior water faucets. Natural wood floors. The left wall is yellow and the others are white. I'm looking for something darker and warm to come home to. Also looking for picture hanging ideas and wondering if there is enough space for a bench. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
enough space for a bench? Doubtful, it looks pretty narrow. As for color, what are the wall colors in the next rom?
December 1, 2012 at 7:55AM     
dcer
I doesn't look like there is space for a bench, but what is the width of the hallway?
December 1, 2012 at 8:04AM   
dupsl001
The hallway is 3 feet wide. Guess that gets rid of the bench idea. The colors in the next room are glossy red (which I intend to paint) and a light pink.
December 1, 2012 at 8:21AM   
marcysquad
What about a bench that folds when not in use? Here is an example, even though it's meant for the shower. You can use one or two of these, or find a longer one....
http://t.brookstone.com/folding-wall-mount-teak-shower-bench-with-slats

BTW, nice bike... I ride too! ;)
December 1, 2012 at 8:37AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Improving the lighting in your hallway will be the most important step to giving it a new look. Track lighting would be my choice as it will give you lighting all along the hall at minimal cost for electrical work. Then, if you really want a bench and hooks in your hall, I'd remove the closet at the end of the hall and put them there.

If you put anything on the walls, please do it only on one side as otherwise you'll get a very closed in feeling, which is not what you want. Look at how precisely the art on the wall in the photo below was hung, and the amount of light there is.
December 1, 2012 at 9:18AM   
marcysquad
December 1, 2012 at 9:23AM   
dupsl001
Thanks for ideas on benches, but I think I'm not going to pursue it. Might get too busy and I need to redo my bathroom also. I will use those bench ideas there. Thank you! Any thoughts on coordinating a similar picture layout with my coat hanger? Pictures above? Yes, I will keep everything on one wall.
December 1, 2012 at 9:42AM   
dupsl001
Also, will the green/grey combo and black picture frames go with my wood floor and white baseboard trim?
December 1, 2012 at 9:43AM   
dupsl001
marcysquad, thank you! Happy riding!
December 2, 2012 at 7:30AM     
PRO
In an ideal world I would not have coat hooks in a 36" wide hallway. I'd put coats in a closet. But sometimes the realities of life are not ideal. So if you must have coat hooks, and pictures, then please lower your coat hooks to 42" above the floor and arrange your pictures above that level, leaving only about 3" space from the coat hooks to where the pictures start.
December 2, 2012 at 7:49AM   
dupsl001
Here is a photo with one green panel. I've got the other one in the kitchen area. This also shows the closet. I would have to re-work the shelves to get the coats in there, but that's not a huge deal. I think I need to go to a more lime green color. This is too much, like Christmas green. Something a bit warmer. I tried to match with the photo from above but think it got too "loud." And I will move the coat hangers as per your comment. Good suggestion!
December 2, 2012 at 7:58AM   
dupsl001
I really like this green/grey scheme in this article. Wondering if I can make this work in my place.

December 2, 2012 at 8:00AM   
dupsl001
Here is the color scheme. Could go more the grey route or blue. From a design perspective, what is more warm and welcoming?
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/eccentriclime
December 2, 2012 at 8:03AM   
PRO
I'd use white for the trim, but love a lime accent wall. However, I might select a less vibrant lime than eccentric lime, such as pale avocado, also by Benjamin Moore. Why not pick up a jug of each and paint two poster boards, one with each color, and live with them for a day or two before making the final decision.
December 2, 2012 at 8:18AM   
dupsl001
Sounds like a great idea. Traveling this week so I'll post next weekend. Thank you all for your input! Any thoughts on organizing that front closet? I think it would be cool to build a shelving system with a bench and hangers above.
December 2, 2012 at 8:39AM   
PRO
If there's a Container Store near you, either at home of on your travels, take a look at their shoe storage products. It seems that you have some wasted space in your present system of shoe storage. Of course you could always stick some of those shoes under the bed.
Carolyn
December 2, 2012 at 9:36AM