Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
front of house picture
debbiehinckley
December 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Need some ideas for our front yard. We live in Seattle area. Like low maintenance, but modern design. Possible 4' tall planter with backdrop of 5' width lattice work fence to cover frosted bathroom windows. Various grasses around yard.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Glenda Cherry Photography
Remove the asphalt and concrete and replace it all with brick pavers or stamped concrete.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 5:37PM
Kathy Bedford
Cheapest most inexpensive was is to put Black Shutters on each side of the windows on the right of the house. move the address to the bottom of the shutter instead of top. Also place shutters on each side of the far left window. This will "warm" your curb appeal. Place a large hanging planter hanging from the eaves in front of the less attractive smaller windows..even in the winter you can place fake silk poinsettas in them to draw the eye away from them. Move the gravel or wood chips around your pavers to make a "round" clean area around your tree. Make the pavers level with the ground and mow your grass right over them. Later on planting some schrubs close to your home would be nice :)
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 5:44PM
PRO
Dytecture
Here is an example similar to your house and what could be done to reach its full potential.

2 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 6:09PM
houssaon
I wouldn't put shutters on your house. I would paint the soffit white. As for the yard, add more shrubs in front of the walkway that runs along the house. Use plants of different heights, varigated and burgandy colord ones. A pergola by the entry would really look good: Front Entry Garden Room and Lori Scott Landscape Design.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 8:04PM
Larysa Ihnatowycz
Cute house. I think the white window frames would blend in more if they were painted either black or taupe. You might also consider painting the front door a contrasting colour to make it pop. I would also add shubs under the front windows - evergreens or hydrangeas - something 4ft tall will add curb appeal. The pavers should be removed and replaced with grass or if you need a pathway then flagstone. And lastly a tree - maybe a birch would look good on the left side of the pathway.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:40AM
lefty47
HI -- I like It ! Love the dark roof and soffits . It's the white windows that stand out to much ,- if they can be painted the black to match the roof and soffit trim , -If not then add some frames around the windows in the black . You really don't have room for shutters and they are too traditional anyway . Now for the landscaping you could redo the walkway as mentioned before but if cost is a factor then just add a two brick wide edgeing . On the left side about 6 or 8 feet out from the house build a 42 inch high fence . Have it with horizontal boards that will make it like a divider screen ,-it could have beams that connect to the house just under the roof soffit. I have several of those ideas on MY ideabook . You could also deck out the right side including the front step or make a paved (stone) patio area with a seating height stone curved wall and then add more plantings and or trees . Your local garden center can help with some landscape ideas or hire a landscaper. Here is a website that has great ideas that might help you . Seattlemodern.com It's a sell site but it is so good for ideas of mid century and modern homes in your area of Seattle , - which I love , been there once and hope to go back . Not really that far from Calgary Canada. I hope this helps you. PS: Paint your front door a bright color , maybe a red/orange or your fav color !
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 6:54AM
Angela Broadnax
I like the idea from Dytecture . Enhance the entry and house with pergola and wall. Frame the windows with same color as soffits from roof and leave walkway as is.
2 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 7:26AM
Angela Broadnax
I added more grasses and plants to brake up the huge lawn area
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:40AM
nevadan
What is that thing like a deck in front of the house? I would remove that and plant some trees.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:52AM
PRO
Ross NW Watergardens
I would minimize or eliminate the lawn. Use boulders and a few Japanese maples as focal points. Fill in with some ornamental grass mass plantings.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 11:15AM
lucindalane
Okay, some other ideas. Don't add shutters if you want contemporary. Paint the window trim a dark color, maybe a charcoal. If budget allows, build a pergola extending the entire length of the house in front of the three windows, and put a smaller walkway through it, if you need one to go to the side part of your property-it could just be pavers, or flagstone, etc.. Its kind of hard to see, but it looks like that is a small, uncovered slab that is basically the front porch? If it doesn't go all the way across, I would extend it and paint this charcoal, also. I would put two benches in front of the two larger windows, but I would leave a enough space between them so I could put just a small planter, and I would also have planters at the end of each bench to give the porch some definition and color. You could plant some ornemental grass alongside the front walkway, if you plan to keep it or to replace it.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 12:22PM
Gary Anderson
Insurance Company would make you maintain that prairie grass for fear of a fire, it would only work it it was planted away from the house and in small sections or raised beds, with pampas grasses and others to blend.....Large boulders, from around the area, so they look like the fit the surroundings...small gravel(same) tapered down from the buildg to give natural drainage...use low more flat pines and recreate a stepping stone path over the existing curved sidewalk...I'd lose the grey block pads to the left of the porch area...plant low bushes so as to not block the windows, but to help blend the house into the surroundings ....I agree tho...lose the green grass....too many want that grass, it's a hassle, and in the woodland setting it's out of place.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Living Room Help!
In need of some design ideas for our living room. Accent...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Client's Kitchen
I am seeing one chandelier here, the client is thinking...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.