Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my living room
leslier379
December 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I would love for the space to look modern, and cozy. On the picture looks a little dark , but It has lots of natural light. Walls are painted with Lancaster white from BM. Any ideas .
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Here's an inspiration with similar design looking out to greenery! First, unless sun is an issue or will fade furniture, I don't think you need to cover the view of the pool. I think you have space there on the right for a built-in like this one.
Cole Valley Hillside 1
Cole Valley Hillside 2
9 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 4:49PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd start with a beautiful gray sofa which will be easy to live with, whether with kids or without. Then I'd add a pair of brightly colored chairs, in whatever color you love. These saturated colors will work well against the bright and light background of your new home. We'll add a patterned gray rug which will work well in this bright room which we're going to paint a pale gray. On the wall behind the sofa will be a large tree decal, cascading fuschia blossoms upon the happy inhabitants of this room
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID

Holloway Sofa Stephenson Chair Slipcover, Fuchsia Jewel Tone Wool Mountain Flower Rug Ribbon Damask Pillow Cover, Yellow By Celine And Kate Mongolian Lamb Pillow Fuschia Watercolors Pillow Cover by Hettle Clouds White Coffee Table Set Tree Wall Decal Wall Sticker By designedDESIGNER
2 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 7:01PM
houssaon
I would find a really cool and colorful sofa to start with:
An area rug and some great paintings. Glass coffee table and warm wood end tables.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 7:50PM
PRO
decoform design
Dear leslier379,
First and most important thing is your likes and dislikes according to your personality…, There are some questions that will help you to determine your own personal design, what you like most, for example ;do you prefer sunny day or rainy one ? It will show your favorite theme for choosing color.
In oprah.com you will find useful articles, regarding this.
But If I were you, I would,
1)Change the floor to parquet, because of its sensation. They are beautiful and make sense to every space.
2)Then according to my feelings (what make me feel comfort and cozy), I would change the color of the walls.

3)Next ,as you have the beautiful blue and green view of the pool, I think you need just curtain as a decorative element and not for covering and also for having these colors , the colors like peachy and white will be so nice there) .
You have double windows upside the larger one, you could use colorful glass for them as you have enough light, and they will make nice shadows. (Stained glass window).

4)Your ceiling is high and you can use long and large paintings ,(meanwhile long curtains could make a graceful look too).
5)As it seems that your living room is a little bit narrow, I would suggest you to furnish only the left side of the room and let the opposite wall be covered with book case or TV set,
6)These Items are so cool for your nice living room. L-shape sofa , rocking chair and decorative shelf for the wall next to the window . (I also think that white ,peachy and blue are so nice for your room but all depends to your own desire.)
3 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 1:17AM
marlenedc
Who makes the l shaped sofa? Great look.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 7:59AM
collettec
A beautiful pool area and view outside and I might borrow from that to continue it inside. Not sure if you're going to be using a television here, but do think that a row of bookcases or a built in might be a good choice for the right wall. For cozy and modern, I would bring in the coral color that you have in the tile outside the door. Perhaps paint the walls a sand or beige color with a natural seagrass or other type of natural fiber rug for people possibly coming in from the pool area. Use that coral color with either a blue or green with the beige and given that you have the modern geometric pattern in the tile, might want to continue that inside as well in decor. I think a sectional might be a good choice, on the left side and facing outside as well. A fun table perhaps something like a geometric that Carolyn has shown you as another consideration. Colors, fabric and texture will make it more cozy with pillows, perhaps throws, art, and natural fibers in things like baskets and other decor. I would add drapes as well.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 8:12AM
judianna20
Love all the suggestions made for some yummy color combos. I liked to chime in with this picture that may be an inspiration for you…two sofas facing, a great rug, rectangular coffee table and those two beautiful chandeliers hanging above the two sofas. Your slider to pool will be your own framed picture. Love your spot.

2 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:42AM
Aja Mazin
Love the neutrals for that beautiful room.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 10:51AM
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Being that this room opens to the pool, I would furnish it with the ideas of durability and family living in mind. If you will have poolside furniture outside, then I would coordinate my living room colors with the outdoor furniture and the blues of the pool. Seaglass, cobalt and watercolor blues would really warm that space up. If it is not formal, consider adding some texture to the room such as a jute rug or rattan/wicker accent chairs. I would also border the rug in a deeper color to put some definition to the room.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 9:15PM
PRO
karen paul interiors

This is your single photo from your ideabook. I think this gives everyone a good idea of your taste and color palette. As for you floors, they will be high maintenance with such a high patina and the close proximity to the pool. If you are thinking of changing out the floor, we can give you some good looking and practical ideas.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 9:23PM
alwaysdesigning
A wonderful space; I imagine wet suits flopping onto the furniture, so an easy indoor/ outdoor fabric onthe furniture to avoid mold and mildew and easy to keep clean. Add a TV, fireplace, warm rug, and bright, fun furniture and you have a cozy space. A potted tree outside the door to bring some greenery up close. Good luck
[houzz=PH 1 interior]
[houzz=[ Steven Ehrlich Architects ]]
[houzz=House on Bonita Court Sarasota FL]
[houzz=Pulp Design Studios]
[houzz=Eames Living Room]
[houzz=Family room]
2 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 6:36AM
More Discussions
How to choose hardwood flooring?
This is a case where the Internet is not helping. We...
Living room
If I use white crown moulding, and I have varnished...
Yes or No-rug
This is my 2nd rug purchased. And I'm still not jumping...
1920 Craftsman - PLEASE help with Paint Color for Kitchen/Sitting Area
My 1920 bungalow renovation is going well. (Thank...
Need help with my entryway
I have this rigips dressing in the entry way, and I...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.