Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with wall paint color and leather sectional sofa
cheeselady
December 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
All of the walls in our house are painted Benjamin Moore's Lady Finger. It doesn't work well with our granite counter tops and other furniture. We have an east/west exposure and the walls look yellow. We are ordering either a eggshell leather sectional or a light to med. gray sectional. I can't decide which one. Once a decision is made as to the color of the sofa then what color paint would work with the eggshell or gray sectional? Any pros or cons for either of the sofa's? Our furniture is contemporary/modern glass and dark wood. The flooring is dark engineered wood and the accent colors in the kitchen are orange chairs around a glass table and abstract paintings in kitchen with orange, blue green, plum and beige colors. The kitchen/family is an open concept. We live in Florida.
I would really appreciate any of your ideas and suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Lady Finger seems to be a pink-beige, but maybe it is a yellow-beige if it's reading as a yellow color. Many/most paints change color under various lighting conditions. Try several paint shades of paint before you commit. Paint foam board & place here & there in rooms.
I'd choose an eggshell sofa. The medium gray would be nice, but gray is a "hot" color right now and will be soon replaced with another "hot" color. The eggshell is more of a classic color, I think. Also eggshell is more versatile and you can change the area rug, wall paint etc to almost anything in future years and still keep the same sofa. And egg-shell will be a really nice contrast to the dark floors, too. You don't mention the color of granite or the cabinets/back splash in kitchen. I LOVE the idea of orange chairs & colorful abstract paintings. Let the color in the rooms come from the art. I'd paint the ceilings and trim white and the walls an eggshell but many, many times lighter.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:52PM
cheeselady
Loved your suggestions! I am going with the eggshell leather sectional sofa. I agree it will brighten things up since my furniture is dark as well as the flooring. I am going to try out the paint color Baby Fawn ( it might be too close to the sofa color) by Benjamin Moore and I will place the painted poster board in different rooms.
Thanks for taking the time to give me such helpful suggestions.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 2:34PM
Darzy
If your wall color is the same as your new sofa, the sofa will blend right in and be lost. Unless you want that.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 2:53PM
cheeselady
The sectional will not be up against the wall. It will be pulled out about 4ft. There will be a large abstract painting on the wall with bright colors orange, blue, plum, teal, silver, white and beige. Do you still think the above paint color wouldn't be the best choice ? The paint color really worries me, I don't want to make another mistake. I appreciate your comments. I am open for any other suggestions you might have. Thank you very much!
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:19PM
Darzy
I think you should get a few samples of what your are considering and paint patches on the walls. Color suggestions here are only ideas because it will look different in your space..live with the colors a few days in different light and then decide what you like best.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:29PM
cheeselady
I only have a small sample of the sofa color so it will be difficult to get the whole effect.... but I will try a few different shades of paint color and paint some patches. Thanks!
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:44PM
TanCalGal
Good idea to wait until the sofa arrives. Wall paint is often chosen last. On the wall: you can go the same as the sofa or lighter or darker. It's hard to get a feeling for a room from photos, but here are 3 eggshell color sofas with same or lighter or darker wall paint. In these photos, I like the room with wall paint & sofa very close in color the best. All of the rooms are nice, though. (see photos)

Another idea might be to pay for a design color consult. Some Houzz designers give internet consultations. One that I think seems good is a color expert & lives in Canada. You'd have to take many photos of your room(s) and send them to her and then arrange a phone consult. This might decrease the chance of having another wall paint you do not like in the room, but paint colors are tricky and there is no 100% guarantee. Maria Killam click "services" http://www.mariakillam.com/blog

Here's a room where sofa + wall paint seem the same color: Central Parl West Residence

Here's a rom where wall paint seems lighter than sofa: Contemporary Lake House

Here's a room where wall paint is darker than sofa: Glenwood Residence
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 4:23AM
decoenthusiaste
Would you consider looking at your painting for a color choice? You mentioned is mixes warm and cool colors. If they look good together, perhaps the beige in the painting is the color you need.
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 4:34AM
Natalie
Hi---for paint, find an exact match to the color of your sofa, then paint the walls 1-2 shades darker than it. Colorful pillows and a rug to coordinate with art. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/safavieh-rd633/plum/101RD633A-76096.html
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 5:34AM
cheeselady
Hi Natalie! Thanks for your wall color suggestions and your pillow and rug idea. USA Rug had some interesting rugs. I appreciate you sharing and trying to help me.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 5:07PM
cheeselady
Hi Decoenthusiaste! The painting will have some of the beige color in it. Thanks for you suggestion! I appreciate your idea.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 5:12PM
cheeselady
HI Olldj22! Your suggestions were great! I appreciate the 3 photo's the visual was fantastic! I liked the sofa and wall color that was the same the best too. The pics really helped me so much. Thanks for giving me so many wonderful suggestions.
1 Like   December 8, 2012 at 5:19PM