powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help furnishing this room for a teen hangout.
lumiere2568
December 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We've repainted, the new wall sconces are up, and the carpeting is on order. This room is 7 x 21. It was fine when the kids were young but now I want to add comfy seating for two teens and am having a difficult time finding anything that can fit in here besides a couch on the long wall. Has anyone else conquered such a feat? I appreciate any ideas...thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
lumiere2568
Ignore furniture in the picture...that won't be in the finished room. :)
December 1, 2012 at 5:15PM   
pcmom1
What kind of activities will be happening here? Guys, gals or both?

For a hang out, fusball table? Tv on low console, with those rocking sit low to the floor chairs. At the end of the room under the two windows, a day bed would fit that could double as sofa.

I imagine your teens have ideas of their own also.
December 1, 2012 at 6:47PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd put a 36"-42" round table with 4 chairs in one half of the room. Then I'd fill the other end with a small sofa against the 7' wall with a sturdy coffee table in front of it. Opposite the coffee table I would place 2 slipper chairs. Add colorful pillows and artwork, plus area rug in sofa/slipper chair area (5x8').

It would be good to remove the ruffled valances. They're not necessary and will not be appreciate by the teens who might prefer simple bamboo shades or wood blinds.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Sutton Sofette Docksta Dining Table | IKEA Tobias Chair, Clear Hammary Structure Rectangular Coffee Table Leather Slipper Chair contemporary-chairs Color Field Rug Brinkley Yellow 18" Pillow Bindi Stripe Burnt Orange Pillow
December 1, 2012 at 7:49PM     
PRO
Almost needless to say, you would hang a TV on an articulating art on the wall where the desk is now. Place small bookcase or chest under it.
December 1, 2012 at 7:52PM     
PRO
Jamie Herzlinger
I have teenagers and my house is the hangout. I suggest low sectional seating, and very little furniture. They want to play games on the television and watch movies. Roche Bobois has great sectional seating by Kenzo which is what I used. If you go to JAMIESHOP.COM you can look at their entire line and at over four hundred manufacturers that are for designers only, but thru JAMIESHOP.COM you are able to purchase from them at wholesale!
December 1, 2012 at 7:53PM   
Jayme H.
If it's also for a media room/I'd get a stream lined (narrow in depth/width) computer table/ if video games/get one of two easily moveable "game" chairs for kids. A Futon may work/or a smaller love seat vs a sofa. With only a 7 ft. depth to the room/measure things first and use masking tape or something to imagine it there in the room...will be hard to walk around anything that sticks out very far/unless it's on the 7 ft. wall. Good luck!
December 2, 2012 at 7:59AM     
greenthumb2
look at net chairs. they are so comfortable! :=) I will post a link.

you'll have to search for these to find a deal but they are super comfortable.
http://www.decoist.com/2012-11-23/10-striking-string-chair-designs-from-inspired-designers/

Right, they don't go with your room design but that is an easy fix. color and yes, the valances should go, or dye them something crazy to match the "new teen" look.
December 2, 2012 at 8:23AM   
greenthumb2
could put two tall computer tables up against the wall where the current desk is now. But that would mean $$ for more chairs and $$ for two more tables. yard sales, thrift stores for some accessories but don't scrimp on the chairs, unless of course you find a deal!
December 2, 2012 at 8:37AM     
specks31
Add floating shelves or wire-suspended shelves for games and books in light-colored wood, but no dark wood or white paint. Hanging chairs are great, any kind in solid colors. Swiveling arm chairs are also good. Anything with movement will help the room feel lighter. And definitely remove the valances. Geometric furniture and open-backed storage towers will make it all feel more modern. Will your teens do their homework here? If so, use track shelving with a bigger shelf on the bottom for a desk, and don't forget hooks for backpacks.
December 2, 2012 at 2:30PM   
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
December 2, 2012 at 3:05PM     
lumiere2568
Thank you for all the great ideas! Valances will go to help open up the room and the old mini-blinds will be replaced. I like the beanbag and sectional ideas. TV on an articulating arm is a definite so it could be viewed from anywhere. You've given me a few fresh, new ways to think about this room that has always been painful for me to decorate. Again, thank you!
December 2, 2012 at 3:21PM   
karelina
How about asking the teens? They'll more likely buy into the space if they have input into the decoration and what's needed.
December 2, 2012 at 5:30PM   
PRO
I bet they've already been asked, but I'd love to hear what they said!
December 2, 2012 at 7:21PM   
judianna20
Have nothing to add except "yeah" to you for making a space for your kids to bring their friends. Best to have them under your nose, so whatever it takes. :>) Need this, though.
December 3, 2012 at 3:27PM   
mpoulsom
these chairs are kind of cool too....but love the big bean bag chairs up above! and a fun cool hanging light fixture! Gotta have the mood lighting! :)
December 3, 2012 at 3:46PM