powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small awkward "L" shaped living/family dining room combo. Help needed!!!
ashleyasatu1
December 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Hi my name is Ashley and boy do I have a design dilemma! I live in a 1965 single family home with a semi open floor plan. Here are my dilemmas: front door opens into the middle of my living room, a small dining/ living room combo, a broken fireplace, an awkward corner, and an old school wall heater that is in the way. My front door opens right into the living/family room so there is not a defined entry into the house. Our family/living room feels like two space because of the front door. The family/living room flows into the dining room making an "L" shape. Our fireplace is broken so I tried to repaint it and stick some candles in there but I did not really achieve the look I was going for. I have a wall heater and an awkward corner that prevents how I can place my furniture. I think I need help making defined "zones" in my house and I think my issue furniture is furniture placement. Can anyone please offer suggestions?????
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ashleyasatu1
Please don't judge my messy house, it's been a long day with the kids lol. Here is an additional photo
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 6:27PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Maybe purchase a room divider or put up a "pony wall" to help delineate the entry from the rest of the room. Carefully place the room divider or pony wall being very mindful of entering into the room to allow for proper placement. Sometimes asking a friend can help with this placement. As occupants, we sometimes cannot see this as well as a visitor can. Hope this helps....
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 7:19PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Adding a decorative screen to the fireplace will also help. Is this a rental or a purchased home? If you are the homeowner I would suggest purchasing "ceiling to floor" panels for your windows to replace the blinds. Fabric will add a sense of coziness and warmth to your space....good luck!
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 7:28PM
ashleyasatu1
This is our home. We purchased it three years ago. Thanks for your suggestions! I will look into a pony wall!
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 7:42PM
houssaon
Could you retake the photos, starting with the door wall. Stand back so we can see wall to wall. Take a picture of each wall. That way we will be able to get a better idea of the space.
2 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 7:43PM
ashleyasatu1
Here are better pictures, thank you!!!!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:04AM
houssaon
You could designate the area to the right of the door as the children's play area. I would have an area rug, a armoire for coats, one small chair, a floor lamp, shelves and toy boxes in that space.

I can see the two couches in a L arrangement with one back to the dining area. Paint the interior of the fireplace black. See if you can get the TV mounted in the center and hide the wires. I think you need more storage for the electronic equipment.

If this is your place, I would build out the half wall corner to better enclose the kitchen.
2 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:16AM
lucindalane
I agree with houssaon's suggestions. If I were you, unless the dining set has some personal value, I would try to sell it and get one with a round table, or just sell the table and find a matching round table for the chairs. That would give you more room in that area, as it seems from the pictures that you don't have much choice in how that dining table has to fit in the area.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 10:55AM
nasmijati
I have several ideas for you. One is a glass radiator to put in the fireplace. Here is a photo. (Look online at "radiators as art.") You could also put a totally fake fire in there...See photo number two...

I agree that the space to the right of the door would make a good area to designate as a play area. An area rug with little roads and houses printed on it will make this obvious. The rugs are available at Lowe's and at Home Depot. Use low shelving for the children's toys and materials, so they can put things away independently. If you use bins, put a color photo on the bin to indicate what should go inside. This is helpful for the children, but even more helpful for babysitters, visiting aunts, and so on.

Photos three and four show a curtain being used to define a space, and photo four shows a partial wall in a room where the front door opens directly into the living space.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 11:11AM
nasmijati
I looked at the fireplace wall again. Would it be possible to put the television in front of the fireplace (maybe on a low console so the screen is at eye level when you are sitting down), and put the television cables and accessories in the niche of the non-working fireplace? That would help hide the fireplace...
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 11:14AM
lucindalane
In terms of the kid space, depending on your own personal taste, if you didn't want it to stand out as a kid space and blend in more with the rest of the house, you could get baskets or these canvas containers to hold the kids stuff on an inexpensive shelving unit.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 11:33AM
ashleyasatu1
I never thought about those options!!! Ezita the glass radiator is pure genius!! Thanks for adding the pictures, I will look into that.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 12:19PM
ashleyasatu1
Houssan a designated play area would be perfect for that space. I cannot believe that never crossed my mind. A circular table also sound like a better idea than the one I have. I really like my table but it just does not work for our little dining area so I will post in on Craig's List. The curtain idea is also pretty cool!! Thank you all for these brilliant ideas!! I will post after pictures soon!!!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 12:24PM
lucindalane
Hey, that's the fun of it! Looking forward to new photos.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 12:44PM
mohammedhindash
Kichen
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 12:53PM
apple_pie_order
The living room/dining room/playroom combination really needs more storage. I suggest you look into the Ikea suite of Billy bookcases and shelves: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11683/

because they can be moved and rearranged as your needs change. You can use one as a room divider next to the front door. Ikea also makes excellent storage solutions for kitchens, such as spice racks. I know it is hard to find time to organize when you have kids, but when you have the new storage units, it will be much quicker to sort, put away and discard.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 1:15PM
victorianbungalowranch
Bookcases next to the fireplace would help house all the electronic clutter too. I have used Expedit (?) ones with the squares as room dividers and like all the bins that fit in--wicker ones are a bit flimsy though and catch.

Billy is good too because it is inexpensive and has lots of options, and they will never discontinue it, although pick a common finish--white or brown/black, maybe one of the common wood tones. I bought alder in Expedit about 6 years ago and can't match it now. They mix pretty well too. Use the medium cube or the tall narrow Expedit as the room divider and put cubbies in it for mittens and such.

Their catalogue usually has a lot of ideas for making the most of tight spaces--maybe a bit cluttered, but more realistic than most.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 2:11PM
ashleyasatu1
Bookcase would be great storage for our electronic clutter! Checking out ikea now!!! Thank you!!!!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 2:45PM
nasmijati
Here are two more ideas for you to use shelving to define a space.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 5:40PM
imdb
If you're not using the fireplace, how about placing all the electronics from around it in this space. You could still then find something to cover the front of the fireplace to give the illusion of a working fireplace. Also, is it possible to place a counter space on the unfinished corner in your kitchen? Maybe a couple of slim stools would take up less space for a smaller dining room table?
0 Likes   February 10, 2014 at 3:12PM
Atisang Ketane-Kuenane
storage storage
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 12:03PM
PRO
flair lighting
you need to take a pic from the front door please!!
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 12:21PM
PRO
flair lighting
what does this area look like when standing at front door?
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 12:26PM
apple_pie_order
post is two years old.
0 Likes   April 22, 2014 at 1:30PM