Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help creating a meditation garden
dmiric
December 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have been remodeling our 75 yr old home and garden. It is a large lot surrounded by redwoods, there are 2 palm trees that have spontaneously grown next to the Ponderosa pine. Do we remove the palms? Behind the grassy area is where we would like to have a flagstone patio surrounded by plants/trees, but need a plan. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cece7
I think these would look good.
December 1, 2012 at 11:53pm   
cece7
Or these.
December 1, 2012 at 11:55pm   
PRO
G-DuBs Designs
How about a Bali style gazebo...
December 2, 2012 at 12:10am     
greenthumb2
not sure if the palms are helping. contact an arborist to find out if the two trees could have a symbiotic relationship. If not, one will eventually kill the other by stealing needed nutrients.

I will scout a few links to help you with a start of ideas. make an idea book, and grab a notepad so you can start your garden project with detail.

You can can create great effect with a platform and cover but what you are looking towards and through will greatly impact the relaxation.

you can make something like this work if you can create an internal space which provides quiet, privacy, and focal points that actually relax you.

check this out. I typed in contemplations paths in the search box. many ideas in this link: http://www.houzz.com/contemplation-paths (awesome ideas!)
December 2, 2012 at 12:23am   
sfusa10
Greenthumb2 thank you for all your great ideas and comments. I'll review them in detail and add them to my idea book. I also need suggestions for a plant layout!
December 2, 2012 at 5:22am   
greenthumb2
OK. I think you need to determine; what critters will eat the plants, any children in the future, and maintenance needs of the garden.

Many of the prettiest plants and flowers are slightly toxic to fatal in some cases. Just fine as long as you know this in beginning. If you want an edible garden, many herbs will re-sprout every year.

If you have deer, and get a fair amount of wind, rain or snow these things are part of the equation. Deer normally won't eat daffodils and iris. They will eat almost everything else in your garden.

Bulbs: squirrels love them. You can bury a small cage around the bulbs the first year to give them some protection. Have a dog, don't feed the bulbs bone meal if the dog is gonna be out there. They love bone meal... :=)

Mountainous can take: bulbs, perennials, and evergreens. Some zones will support dogwood, hostas, japanese maple, rhododedrons, moss, columbine. If you are deer proof; anything goes as long as your freeze doesn't last or come in set of cold warm cold freeze warm cold freeze. that kind of weather will kill off your garden if it is not established. I'll look for a few links.
December 2, 2012 at 5:33am   
greenthumb2
there are some interesting combinations on this site. this vendor is listed on houzz but I had to dig around a little to find them. http://jvldesigns.com/landscapes/gardens

enjoy! let me know if you still need more ideas.... here is a blog. found it by typing: plants and flowers that thrive in redwoods. there are more on the google search page.
http://www.northcoastgardening.com/2011/05/plants-under-redwoods/
December 2, 2012 at 5:40am   
sfusa10
Omg Greenthumb2 you are fantastic! Thank you for your help and support! I'll tell you about us, we are retired, have young grandchildren that visit. We Live in Walnut Creek, ca, flat terrain, no deer, but lots of squirrels.
December 2, 2012 at 10:27am   
nasmijati
Bulbs and squirrels are "not compatible." The squirrels often dig up your newly planted bulbs and eat them before morning. If you use bone meal and/or blood meal, the squirrels will dig up the bulb, toss it aside, and eat the meal for the nutritional content.

Iris is a rhizome, but is toxic to children.

For other info about plants appropriate for your particular garden, go to your local nursery ( not a national chain), and ask about plants native to your region that are not toxic to children. Native plants should need little to no water once they are established. Be sure to mention the amount of shade, types of trees surrounding the garden plot, and that squirrels are
present.

Good luck! :)
December 2, 2012 at 10:49am   
dmiric
Thank you eztia for the input, every little bit is appreciated! We'll keep the post updated with any progress!
December 2, 2012 at 12:41pm   
dmiric
cece7 Thank you for the beautiful pictures!
December 2, 2012 at 12:43pm