Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Finding new kitchen lights.
teresaschelfhout
December 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I need to find new lights for kitchen. They are not hanging directly over any thing, I have no clue what I should do.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
Yes, a pendant light isn't appropriate if it's not suspended over a countertop.
For your traditional kitchen, what about some traditional schoolhouse lights? You can get them in a semi-flushmount for your main kitchen area and pendant variety for over the sink or counters.

Something like these?

December 4, 2012 at 11:23AM     
decoenthusiaste
And you've got two of them!!! Try a pair of semi-flush drum lights for an up to date look without hanging over nothing.
Simplistic Ceiling Fixture
Axis Semi Flush Mount
December 4, 2012 at 12:06PM     
apple_pie_order
What is your motivation for replacing them? More light? Trendier fashion? Getting in the way? Different traditional style or finish? Energy efficiency? Or just tired of them?
December 4, 2012 at 2:46PM   
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Teresa! You've got some great ideas here, and we'd also like to suggest a pair of full (rather than semi-) flush mount ceiling lights (http://www.atgstores.com/flush-mount-ceiling-lights_448.html?linkLoc=topnav). We've chosen a few we think may look nice given your current decor and style, but there are thousands of choices. We hope this helps and wish you luck!
December 4, 2012 at 3:46PM   
inkwitch
It takes an electrician to relocate lights. Consult several, ask how they would do what you want, get several bids. Will they repair the holes they leave in the ceiling where they took out lights? If not, you'll have to consult another craftsman.

It's hard to tell where you might already have ceiling fixtures from the one photo. You may not have to relocate anything, but can't tell.

Go with what you like. Trust yourself. You're the one living with it.
December 4, 2012 at 4:50PM   
Darzy
How about just installing can lights throughout the ceiling?
December 4, 2012 at 9:43PM   
charleee
Darzy's idea is great, I also like deco's Axis Semi Mount Flush. Whatever you decide, stay away from the boob light! [houzz=
]
December 5, 2012 at 3:22AM   
Sara Parker
How about just shortening the chains and making the ones you have flush mounted?
December 5, 2012 at 5:53AM   
PRO
Отделка и дизайн
АХ какие молодцы МНЕ кажется что светильники с цветной мозаикой очень подойдут к ВаШМ шторочкам Я в ВОСТОРГЕ !!!
December 5, 2012 at 7:19AM   
shilpisharmapatel
How about track lights?
December 5, 2012 at 8:18AM   
chocoholic66
I like the new version of the track light--monorails with spots. New transformers within the canopies make for easy installation of the low voltage system. You can run the monorail anywhere on the ceiling--and you can bend it or make square corners. Love the versatility.
December 5, 2012 at 11:26PM   
Carolina Girl
I solved this problem in my kitchen by using the bendable track lighting. There was a ceiling fan in the middle of the room and I wanted lighting over my island without having to hire an electrician and patching the middle of the ceiling where the current electrical connection was. You can direct the light wherever you want with this type of lighting.
December 9, 2012 at 8:16AM   
More Discussions
What color should I paint a small condo with NO direct light?
We just bought a 850 sq ft week-end condo with the...
Small living room space! Not sure where to place furniture?!
We have a small formal living room space , And I cannot...
New Modern Bathroom - Towel advice?
We just completed our remodel on a modern, masculine...
Cant get the paint color right! Help choose a color scheme.
Having a very hard time picking out pain color scheme...
Family room needs help
Not sure if coffee table suits the room. Looking for...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.