Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with a color palette
jjfunk
December 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
My family bought this house a few years ago and now it's time to paint but we need some help choosing the colors. We have a detached garage that would use the same palette. As you can see in the last picture the brick is full of browns and purples and our windows are clad in brown aluminum so we'll have to take that into consideration. Thanks for your help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
It's an attractive house. Are you painting only the shutters and front door? Is the roof a blue gray or some other color?
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 1:18PM
jjfunk
We'll be painting the shutters, door, trim and dormers. Thought we'd leave the brick as is for this one.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 1:25PM
jjfunk
The roof color is a gray/green color.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 1:26PM
collettec
I would consider painting the shutters and dormers a cream color and the door a black or dark green.
2 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 1:34PM
bdennison
black door, white trim, white shutters. Can someone photoshop that? I think it is amazing how some of you can reproduce photos so realistically
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 1:40PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd paint the trim and dormers Sherwin-Williams SW7038 Tony Taupe, and the shutters and front door SW7020 Black Fox, which is a brown that is almost black.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 1:51PM
jjfunk
Thanks everyone. I was thinking that the dormers needed a field color though that was different from the trim. Would that make it look too busy?
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:42PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Not too busy, just more expensive. Try a shade darker for the trim.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 7:19PM
Shelley E.
I see a colonial Blue and a warm gold. I cant see the green in the roof, so if it really shows green, then a deep hunter green with the Gold on the trim and garage. Gold looks wonderful against brick. very warm and inviting. sorry i just wouldnt do black or brown. Sherwin williams has color experts that come to the house for 75.00. you actually get a gift card for your purchases, and thats worth it. good luck.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 9:18PM
Shelley E.
After looking closer at the shutters, if you stick with the green go deeper. like pine, and the gold will really make things pop.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 9:20PM
lucindalane
The brick has some light gray and some darker, blue gray. I think that you need to get away from the brownish tones, so I would do the door and dormers in a lighter gray, and the shutters in a rather dark slate gray. You could do the lighter part around the windows in an even lighter gray-maybe even a more bluish one. This would also work for the door if you are going to keep the two-toned motif going. It also should not clash with any green tones in the shingles. I agree that you also could do a dark, navy type colonial blue, also with the gray. That would give it a traditional feel, if you like that idea.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:00PM
houssaon
Here is another option Seirra Spruce for the shutters and the front door, the grey for the dormers and the off white for all other trim.

But I like Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design recommendation, too. Maybe even more.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:41PM
greenthumb2
Hi. I will look for a link.

this maybe too dark for your taste.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/877501/Guest-House-traditional-exterior-dallas

another color combo.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 10:49PM
PRO
McFarland Humphreys
Visit http://www.ellenkennon.com/exteriorpalette.htm; she is brilliant with color and you can get her custom paint everywhere in the US and Canada. I would not contrast the trim around the windows with a light color - the deep greens recommended above would be appropriate - those aluminum anodized windows should not be called out but allowed to blend. The dormers should also blend more with the roof and the gray/green colors are perfect for that. Doors should be red. Simple - the historic color of welcome. Your fascia and soffit could be Buttercream but I would keep it simple and ask Ellen for her recommendations. I think Ashen Green for all with Kennon Ivy shutters and Berry Red or Brick red for the door... Call Ellen Kennon for a consult which is initially free. She has done most of the color consulting for my clients and many other designers - she had been featured in Architectural Digest and House Beautiful among others.
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 4:04AM
apple_pie_order
Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design's suggestion of Black Fox brought up this great combination with a gray green: http://letschipit.com/Chip/ewLK6f
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 5:57AM
alwaysdesigning
I like the darker grey paint tones suggested; I would try to lighten up the front a little painting the shutters, door and just the fronts of the dormers around the windows a much lighter shade of the darker paint. And the garage the darker paint tone to make it recede. Should look great.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 6:42AM
alwaysdesigning
I like the darker grey paint tones suggested; I would try to lighten up the front a little painting the shutters, door and just the fronts of the dormers around the windows a much lighter shade of the darker paint. And the garage the darker paint tone to make it recede. Should look great.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 6:42AM