Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living Room - Coffee Table help!
lindacahn
December 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Thinking of purchasing a large, rectangular glass coffee table. But it's 25' inch, meaning it will be several inches higher than the seating height of surrounding chairs. Can't decide it this will be elegant - or perhaps just weird? Picture of room below.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
defever
I'm not a designer but I don't think the height will be an issue if the table is put where your current one is. Personally, I'd pull everything in a little bit -- the table looks like a long reach from the sofa.
December 2, 2012 at 6:17pm   
Darzy
I think you could be right about being too high. Do you have a picture of the coffee table? What a wonderful room! Do you like the tufted ottoman look? I think your coffee table idea could be a good choice too with the right size.

December 2, 2012 at 6:20pm     
decoenthusiaste
It will look a lot like the end tables, so pull them out like a coffee table and see how you feel about it. Key is to have it be 18" from the sofa so it can be reached by those sitting there yet still leave navigation room.
December 2, 2012 at 6:22pm   
treneil
They height of the coffee table shouldn't be higher than the seat cushions. Further it has to be of a certain scale to match the seating area. The ottoman picture above has great width and height and will make the room look really inviting. Your existing piece is too small for the space.
December 2, 2012 at 6:33pm   
lindacahn
Here are 3 pictures of the possible coffee table - all taken at the store. The pictures aren't very good, esp'ly b/c it's hard to photograph a table made largely of glass.
December 2, 2012 at 6:58pm   
lindacahn
One picture is above, other two below:
December 2, 2012 at 7:02pm   
lindacahn
One picture is above, other two below:
December 2, 2012 at 7:02pm   
Darzy
Yes, I think the table is too high. If you like the mirror look, I think this style would look nice with your end tables. And, I think you have the space to put two of these together! But, my favorite is the big ottoman choice.
Vivie Mirrored Coffee Table
Living Room
December 2, 2012 at 7:13pm   
decoenthusiaste
Your place is so spacious, I think you could use a more grounded table. Usually glass ones are advised when space is at a premium and the illusion of spaciousness they create is desired. The ottoman Darzy posted, topped with an elegant silver coffee service would be magnificent in your room!
December 2, 2012 at 7:17pm     
treneil
Just my thoughts. you won't notice the height because of the glass. you will only really see the shelving below so that should be fine. The table needs to be about the same width as the couch to make it feel balanced in the room See how the ottoman is the same width as the lounge. I can't tell from the pictures whether this table does this. The gold in the legs is picked up in your room by the 2 lamps and picture on wall. However you will have to pick up the mirror/glass in two or three other areas in the room to make it feel part of the room design.
December 2, 2012 at 7:18pm     
Darzy
Good points treneil. Not exactly the same width as the couch, but balanced for sure.
December 2, 2012 at 7:20pm   
karelina
Lovely room! I'm sure whatever you pick will look just fine. I agree with most others, the ottoman fits best.
December 2, 2012 at 7:32pm   
PRO
Wow Great Place
How lucky are you to have a living room big enough to house TWO pianos! Wow!

My first thought is that yes, a 25" high coffee table will feel much too high, as your chairs in particular look on the low side, and a too-high coffee table might make you feel like you are sitting at a child-size table for dinner!
I would actually suggest going with a large round piece, maybe 42" or even 48" round, if that size works. I think this would work well with the curvy lines of your sofa, and with a grouping like this that is somewhat spaced apart, a round table allows more people to be within reach of the table to set down a glass or reach for an hors d'oeuvre. The piece could be an ottoman or a table, but I would keep it under 20" high.
December 2, 2012 at 7:46pm