Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Rug
sondramartina
December 2, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a chance to sell this rug. I would get something with smaller pattern and probably not more than 2 colours in it.What would you suggest?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sondramartina
Anyone?
December 2, 2012 at 7:16PM   
decoenthusiaste
I'd sell it and shop at homedecorators.com. You can shop by color, style, material, size, etc.
December 2, 2012 at 7:19PM   
sondramartina
They don't ship to Canada :( Many places don't.
December 2, 2012 at 7:22PM   
sondramartina
Dark gray walls,gray sofa and brown with some red in hardwood. It could be almost any colours but white coffee table does nor allow everything.
December 2, 2012 at 7:40PM   
designideas4me
a solid colored shag rug that is very big. They are expensive but really pretty. Get one with silver and white and gray shimmer but its really one color just reflects light
December 2, 2012 at 7:56PM   
Billie G
What in the world is a "shag" rug?
December 3, 2012 at 1:19AM   
groveraxle
Ah, Billie G, you must be a mere child. Missed the 60s. Shag rug:

December 3, 2012 at 1:27AM     
charleee
How about one of these? [houzz=
]
December 3, 2012 at 2:02AM     
Natalie
Hi sondramartina
You're wanting to change the rug? Quick questions---are you keeping the blinds? Will you be adding window panels? :)
December 3, 2012 at 3:42AM   
Natalie
One more-sorry... Could you take a close-up pic of your chair since it's the only pattern in the room? Thanks!
December 3, 2012 at 3:43AM     
sondramartina
I am keeping the blinds and I will be adding curtains.Chair ,I am not sure that I like but here it is.Maybe i don't like it when combined with rug.
December 3, 2012 at 4:04AM   
sondramartina
Natalie ,they are nice but not my type.In rugs prefer symmmetrical patterns.
And I have red persian rug in the basement it is on smaller side ,but it would not work with with white table ,I guess.
December 3, 2012 at 5:37AM   
sondramartina
Lets forget red persian rug. It look good where it is now.
December 3, 2012 at 5:42AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I think that the texture of a shag rug would work nicely with your furniture. Ikea has them at great price or you can find some beautiful shimmering ones elsewhere in a mixture of tones that would work with what you have.
December 3, 2012 at 5:44AM   
sondramartina
I have one shag rag rolled up in the basement,it is with stripes sage and dark brown colour .
Now i feel like Frank Bright with bunch of back up decor items in attic. :)))
December 3, 2012 at 5:59AM     
charleee
Frank Bright? Pillows Frank? That was a LOT of responses!
December 3, 2012 at 6:42AM     
Natalie
Me again... Your best option might just be a shag rug. Once the current rug is moved out of the room, the only pattern is the chair, art, and blinds... If you're not 100% about the chair-then you might want to select a new one or matching pair before choosing a rug. Roll up your rug and look at the room without it. Does the chair feel right/wrong in the space? After you decide that question-you can move forward. Hope this is helpful. :) http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/loloi-my-04/flax/176MY04-12015.html
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/istanbul-peshawar/black/1653573-53073.html
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rizzy-rugs-pu1/black/287PU0325-10014.html
December 3, 2012 at 6:46AM     
ozana
What about a pop of color? It' s all greys, browns, earthy colors, I think a pop of color would compliment the room nicely. Maybe turquoise? What about a deep purple? I think the room needs something to brighten it up!
ozana81 from houseatheart.blogspot.ro
December 3, 2012 at 6:54AM   
sondramartina
Ozana81 I agree.
December 3, 2012 at 6:57AM   
asandstrom
I really like the rug in the room and wouldn't change it. However, if you insist, I would NEVER EVER EVER choose a shag rug. Way too trendy (again) and not a good investment. Plus they're a bear to clean. If money were no object, I'd recommend one of these: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13233250&cp=1760785.11640598&ab=ln_home_cs3_rugs&parentPage=family http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13233248&cp=1760785.11640598&ab=ln_home_cs3_rugs&parentPage=family
There's one at Pottery Barn that's a bit more budget friendly: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/andrew-kilim-outdoor-rug-neutral/?pkey=crugs-by-style&cm_src=rugs-by-style||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
But, again, I'd keep the rug. Have you considered changing the coffee table instead? It's a bit small for the room. Something warmer would look quite nice, like this: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/sawyer-coffee-table/?pkey=ccoffee-side-console-tables&cm_src=coffee-side-console-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
December 3, 2012 at 7:42AM   
sondramartina
The thing is,when I enter this room something is off even when I had windows covered.
It is either rug or chair or table or combination of 2 or 3 of them.
When I remove chair it look better but still rug and floor are not so great combination.
So what do you guys suggest,which one should go(but not all 3 please)? !
December 3, 2012 at 8:13AM   
gratha
I like the shag rug idea! Maybe add punch by changing the chair fabric and add some colorful pillows to the sofa. Also, agree that a slightly larger and more substantial coffee table would complement the room.
December 3, 2012 at 8:16AM   
designideas4me
It really depends on you identifying your own style. I love the shag rug I have and clean it with a deep steam cleaner and its simple. Its soft which no other rug is except silk or wool and they cost 1000s. I love contemporary. I dont like the patterned rugs that were suggested above and do not feel that a classy shag rug is trendy. whats not trendy? persian? You have to define the look you want for the room and keep all the styles the same in my opinion. Some people like eclectic. I love modern minimal. I am into how it feels under my feet and no rug or carpet shines like shag does. Its personal.
December 3, 2012 at 8:32AM   
PRO
I like the sectional and also the coffee table which seems an appropriate size to serve all parts of the sectional. That leaves the rug, so I would remove it. Then I would bring home a rug or two and try them in the room. There is a large bare space in the middle of the room, and I realize that you don't want anything to block TV viewing, so how about an ottoman for extra seating at gatherings. It would definitely offer a color which you could repeat in pillows, artwork, etc.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID My Chic Nest: Benches and Ottomans Elaine Smith Lime Outdoor Pillows Turquoise Ikat pillow
December 3, 2012 at 8:38AM     
sondramartina
Carolyn I sooooo love that ottoman!
December 3, 2012 at 8:59AM   
ozana
told ya turquoise is the way to go :)
December 3, 2012 at 9:12AM     
collettec
I agree with you about the rug and the floor. I don't think the warm tones of the flooring work well with the rug color. I would consider going with a shag as others have mentioned, but perhaps in a cream or beige. It would bring the beige of the chair more into the room as well. You could use the blue that you have in the chair as an accent color in the room. Maybe add some beige pillows as well on the sectional or switch out the throw for a beige one.
December 3, 2012 at 9:57AM   
sondramartina
With this rug turquoise did not work, that was the first thing I tried.
Tonight I am going to remove rug and see if chair looks ok .Then hopefully rug will be sold and I will do it all over again. I hope that my poor 80 years old mother will not get heart attack .,Every time she visits there is something new and she gets very upset with me spending money on furniture and decor.How to explain influence of HOUZZ.? :)
December 3, 2012 at 10:25AM     
sondramartina
I like rugs similar what old bobbi suggested.Not big fan of shag rugs.
December 3, 2012 at 10:34AM   
designideas4me
LOL.. its an addiction.. Tell her you have Houzzaphrenia..
December 3, 2012 at 10:52AM     
sondramartina
So i took the pictures without the rug and I would say that rug was the problem. Do you guys agree?
December 4, 2012 at 5:09PM     
collettec
I like it better without the rug.
December 4, 2012 at 5:36PM     
jojo132
Definitely agree! The room is transformed without it.
December 4, 2012 at 5:38PM   
PRO
Yes, it looks so much better without it!
December 4, 2012 at 5:42PM   
sondramartina
How would cowhide rug look here? Brown and white? But then chair would not look good with it I guess?
December 4, 2012 at 5:46PM   
PRO
I think you need more texture than a cowhide would offer, even tho I do love them.
December 4, 2012 at 5:53PM     
sondramartina
Thanks Carolyn,I would have never thought about more texture.
December 4, 2012 at 6:02PM   
sondramartina
Can't wait to start looking for (this time) right and perfect rug,maybe with yellow or orange color in it.
December 4, 2012 at 6:40PM   
designideas4me
I would stick to the somewhat muted tones you have for the rug unless you want to introduce a new color. For me I like only a few colors in a space but again you may want it bright and more loud and you can always paint one accent wall to match.
December 4, 2012 at 9:16PM   
designideas4me
Also the size of the rug may have been too big for that space. try a smaller rug too.
December 4, 2012 at 9:17PM   
PRO
Sterling Rugs
We manufacture all kinds of rugs in India and ship them worldwide. For further details email at : info@sterlingrugs.com
December 4, 2012 at 10:21PM   
ozana
Yes, I think the rug was the problem, the room looks much better without it. The floors look nice, so I think a smaller rug than the previous would compliment the floors nicely. You could try a rug in a bold color with maybe a cream or light grey in it, maybe a pattern to add texture and dimension to the room. Also the table would pop against the rug! Carpet Vista have nice rugs!!
December 4, 2012 at 10:39PM     
lucy1225
I think , with a light color rug will be the best choice for the room , because all the color in this room are dark . which not look good
December 4, 2012 at 11:12PM   
Linda
Nix the rug, looks great without.....Show off the beauty of the floor.
December 5, 2012 at 1:14AM     
asandstrom
Yup, like it better without the rug.
December 5, 2012 at 7:18AM   
asandstrom
Yup, like it better without the rug.
December 5, 2012 at 7:18AM   
Natalie
Wow-BIG difference... Window panels (white/off-white) a must! :)
December 5, 2012 at 7:42AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.