powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ceiling color narrowed down. Help us vote!
debari
December 3, 2012 in Polls
We are painting our entire first floor (living, dining kitchen) Revere Pewter. We have it narrowed down to two VERY similar ceiling colors. Please help us decide!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Revere Pewter, really? I painted my living room that color and it has been a challenge to decorate around. I finally went with beige, black and charcoal.
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 2:17AM
debari
Yeah, we really like grays, and this one seems to have the most warmth. We have a stark mid century tables and chairs and a black lacquer piece, and we need to buy a sofa, so we're not really limited by much furniture. Beige doesn't resonate for me, personally.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:20AM
charleee
You should know that Revere Pewter actually changes colors with the light. Not shades, colors. In some lights it's gray, others beige and also a narsty green. It's taken me months to adjust to this color.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:28AM
debari
Yikes. We have been hemming and hawing for weeks, and we really are at the point where we just have to decide. We felt Stonington was a bit too cold, and we feel like we are too far along to throw other colors into consideration because we are afraid we are going to go mad from deciding. Are you really hating it that much???
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:34AM
debari
I almost just want to bite the bullet and go with the Revere Pewter and just hope for the best.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:37AM
debari
Meanwhile, tell me your thoughts on the ceiling colors!!!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:37AM
charleee
I'm liking it more since I changed my drapes. They were beige, and brand new, I changed them for charcoal grey. We have beige sofas right now which I can't change yet, but when I can I will change them to grey. My large area rug is beige and black, and my accessory furniture is dark "pleather". I'm not sure it's the color that bothers me, I think it's because the color is so flat. Yes, we used flat paint, but I've used flat paint before and I've never seen it look so.....dull. If I had the whole thing to do again, I might use a satin or eggshell, but I know that's not for everyone.

Some people love this color and swear by it, I'm just not one of them!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:42AM
charleee
I voted for gray sky.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:42AM
debari
Thank you for sharing and for voting. I can't say that we are 100% in love with the color, but we like it better than anything else we have tried, and we have put up a LOT of samples. We want to have something very very calm and neutral. If you were local, I'd give you all of our paint samples for figuring out your next color. We have about 50!
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 2:49AM
charleee
Thanks for the offer !!! I love this color called red ochre and I bought a quart yesterday to paint an old dresser. Cannot wait! And I'm not usually big on color, so we'll see........[houzz=
]
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:52AM
debari
That is a great color! Bold without being too punchy. It will also go beautifully with beige, once you repaint, but will also go well with Revere Pewter. Post pictures!!!
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 2:55AM
charleee
Thanks! It will be going in a room with beige walls and dark chocolate brown linens. Dark chocolate brown goes with everything!!! hehehe
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 2:59AM
paularoy
We just painted our laundry revere pewter and it looks fantastic! We have white cabinets, stainless steel appliances and beige/grey floor. I love how it contrasts with the white. The color does change a little during the day from gray with a little purple tone to beige, but I've never seen it look green. My celing preference is white, but I voted for the gray sky.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 3:10AM
debari
So glad to hear that you like the Revere Pewter. I have been really stubborn about wanting blue ceilings or *some* color of ceiling, and I could be making a royal mistake. We just put in crown molding, with the idea that white crown would really separate the wall and ceiling. Honestly, we have been hemming and hawing for so long (we were doing some minor renovations on the house), and now, the thing that is holding us from moving in is painting. There are mice in our rental apartment, so I am in a HUGE rush to get the painting DONE! I do think that the ceiling colors we have narrowed it down to are BARELY blue--they are so faint that when we painted swatches on the wall, they looked whitish-gray.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 3:14AM
debari
I'm not sure if I am using this site wrong, but I can't see where the votes are tallied!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 3:15AM
feeny
You have to vote in your own poll to see the results. Silly, but that's how it works.
Personally, I'd vote for a 50% reduction of whatever is on the walls for the ceiling.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 4:15AM
bdennison
It is 3 to 0 in favor of gray sky. On my monitor they look almost exact. I went w/ gray sky because it may be a tad lighter.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 4:55AM
Ilda
i would go with the lighter one as well...
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 4:59AM
debari
Thank you all. We went with Gray Sky. It is gorgeous during the day--a very pale blue. At night, it's a moody gray. We are really happy with it. When life calms down, I'll post some pics!
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 8:53PM
debari
And yes, we did Revere Pewter on all of the walls, even though we were not 100% sure about it, and we are REALLY happy with the results!!!
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 8:53PM
momof5x
I like the second one better.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 3:01AM