Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Sink in a wood countertop island?
brittk70
December 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want to do my island in mahogany or walnut. Basically I want my island to look like a table top but I would also like to have my sink in my island.
Am I being totally impractical?
Thanks for your thoughts/opinions/experience/advice.
Britt
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Granite Transformations
Hi Britt,

I don't think this idea is impractical at all. Actually, it would probably look really nice.

Installing a sink in your island is a great idea. It provides an exceptional space for preparing meals. I've seen plenty of kitchens with this exact look.

I'm attaching a picture for some inspiration. Good luck with your project!
December 3, 2012 at 6:56am     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
do a search in Houzz pictures for 'wooden countertops' and you will see TONS of pictures. I absolutely love this look.
December 3, 2012 at 7:29am     
brittk70
I agree with you, Cynthia and Granite tansformations but I am worried about the water and how it would effect the wood immediately surrounding the sink? Would that part of the countertop end up all warped and slimy looking as the wood gets more and more exposure to the sink water?
In our house that sink would be the one and only main sink (vs a secondary, prep sink).
Thanks for your input and tagging the picture. I will search more.
Britt
December 3, 2012 at 8:05am   
PRO
Granite Grannies
It's done all the time, you'll just have to make sure to take care of the area. Just ask whoever installs the wood top for detailed directions on what products to use (and more importantly what not to use). If you don't mind a little extra care, it's a really gorgeous look. I would recommend searching (Like Cynthia recommended) for wood countertops, then using the ask questions option on the photos to ask professionals who install the tops what their thoughts are on the issue. You might even try narrowing that same search to professionals in your area so you can find someone to install them! We only do stone, so I'm not too much help in specific upkeep. Good luck!
December 3, 2012 at 8:35am     
PRO
Eidos Designstudio.com
I would choose walnut over mahogany .Walnut will give you a harder surface. You can ask you finisher to use a dye stain to pull out the figure and beauty of the wood. These dye stains come in a variety of colors.You will need to finish the counter top with two part lacquer. This will give hard protective finish
December 3, 2012 at 9:59am   
PRO
ct design studio
It is beautiful! Just reiterating, you need to take care of it to keep it looking that way. Otherwise your countertop will split and darken. There are some new products out there too. I haven't dealt with this company yet, but I've heard good things about their Durata sealer which is food safe and long term.

Also a reasonably deep sink will help contain splashes and wipe up as needed.
http://www.glumber.com/wood-countertop-care/
December 3, 2012 at 11:29am   
PRO
Linda
I don't recommend doing it with cheap IKEA countertop. I love the butcher block counter by my stove, but I'll be replacing the one by my sink
December 3, 2012 at 3:51pm   
judianna20
My island is mahogany, with a sink, a great finish and it stands up to everything. My painter stained and sealed it and I have had no problems.
December 3, 2012 at 3:58pm   
PRO
Craft Art Elegant Surfaces
Britt,
Wood can certainly be waterproof if treated correctly!

Craft Art uses a waterproof oil on our wood countertops that penetrates into the wood and hardens from the inside out; it's a modified Tung Oil finish. This fills the pores of the wood which keeps water, red wine, mustard, etc. from seeping into the wood. Filled pores = waterproof!

And you won't get the dreaded "White Rings" either. White rings are just condensation between two layers. Because our finish penetrates into the wood, there is only 1 layer. There is nowhere for condensation to exist and therefore, no white rings!

And thanks to Granite Transformations for sharing one of our wood countertop photos! We are proud to say that photo was submitted to us directly from a happy homeowner.

Good luck in your project.

-Craft Art

www.craft-art.com
December 7, 2012 at 12:15pm   
PRO
Merri Interiors, Inc.
Wood is great, check out tons here on Houzz as well as on my page, Merri Interiors, Inc.
December 7, 2012 at 12:22pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.