Users
Height for wall mount bathroom sink
centid
December 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
What height should my wall mounted bathroom sink be
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
With a wall-mounted sink you have the luxury of a choice of heights. Who will be using this sink? If it's a family of tall adults it should be higher. If children will be using it, install it lower. Is it for a powder room for washing hands or is it for a bathroom where you'll be leaning over it brushing your teeth or washing your face? Mock up the height with boxes, for example, and see what height works best for your purpose.
December 3, 2012 at 7:25AM   
centid
It will be for a downstairs bath. Although it is a full bath it will be used mostly as a powder room. My plumber put it at the same height as the toilet , 30 inches and it just feels so low. It will cost me like $300 to move it and I'm trying to figure out if its worth it?
December 3, 2012 at 7:32AM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I'm 5'-7" and I know I would get an ache in my back leaning over that one... If you have that sink in place for ten years, then it will be $30 a year or 58 cents a week (or just over 8 cents a day) for the benefit. LOL Only you can determine if it's worth it :)

I'm wondering why the plumber did not discuss the height with you before installation. The plumber surely has a responsibility to mitigate the cost of correcting your combined mistake (I would say the error is owned 50/50--by you for not specifying in the first place and the plumber for not asking).
December 3, 2012 at 7:40AM   
crazylife
Please check your measurements and clarify. This doesn't sound right. A sink installed at the height of the toilet is incorrectly installed, but toilets are in the 16- 20 inch range. A sink at 30 inches is fairly standard, but if your family is tall, you can go to 36 inch and above, in my market called a "luxury height". Without knowing more info about the materials and type of installation, personally I would say $300 seems excessive to re-position a sink, there might be someone else who can do it for a lot less.
December 3, 2012 at 7:49AM     
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
@centid,
It is terribly unfortunate that the plumber did not consult you about the height of the sink. My professional opinion is that you will be forever dissatisfied if you don't move it up. Two things to consider before you do: 1) do you anticipate having any wheel chair users in you home, if so, don't move the sink and 2) have you solicited any bids from other plumbers? A more palatable price might make the decision easier.
December 3, 2012 at 7:55AM     
centid
30 inches is the height of the top of the toilet tank. I assumed there was a standard height for sinks so I did not specify to the plumber. He said wall mount sinks standard is lower than vanity or pedestal sink. He said its 30" - 34 and he went with the lower? Thanks for all the help
December 3, 2012 at 8:01AM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
"He said wall mount sinks standard is lower than vanity or pedestal sink."

I think he made that up to cover his error...
December 3, 2012 at 8:10AM     
centid
Yes that is what he said.
December 3, 2012 at 8:32AM   
crazylife
Thank you for clarifying. In that case, you can send him a certified with return receipt letter requesting him to re-position the sink at the height you deem appropriate at his expense due to the sink being installed too low, and at an uncomfortable level for you. I'm not sure why he is reluctant to do this, in this day and age most contractors are aware that one bad review on Angie's List or Yelp can cost them a lot of business, and conversely a good review can keep them going for months.
Is he the owner of the business? Is there someone higher up to talk to? Perhaps you could explain how important it is to you and point out that you will give him/the business a great review if he accommodates your request at his expense. I'm getting the impression you have already tried this. Then try the letter. Then I'd be calling someone else who will probably do the job for much less than the $300 quoted. THEN I'd have some fun with those reviews on the guy. Good Luck.
December 3, 2012 at 3:00PM