powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Painting knotty pine walls in a bathroom.
marshallhall
December 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are remodeling a small guest bathroom in our cabin. The walls are knotty pine which I would like to keep but my husband wants to dry wall and paint. A compromise would be to paint the walls with a cream color glaze that gives them a "distressed" look. Does this work and what paint should I use? Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Also consider bleaching or whitewashing them.
December 3, 2012 at 8:05AM   
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Sherwin Williams as some great faux finishing products for this type of application.
December 3, 2012 at 8:12AM   
charleee
What kind of a finish do you have on the knotty pine? Is it a rough texture, like it's never been painted/sealed, or more like a smooth finish with a clear coat?
December 3, 2012 at 8:58AM   
marshallhall
It is rough - looks like it was never painted or sealed. Does that make a difference? Thanks!
December 3, 2012 at 11:35AM   
charleee
If the texture is rough, you could get away with whitewashing them. That's simply a matter of buying white stain or mixing white paint with water, depending on the color the boards are now, probably 50/50.

I would brush it on with a large brush as opposed to rolling. A roller could leave stripes where it overlaps itself. If there's a sort of hidden spot, try that first.

If they were sealed you would have to sand first, so at least you get to skip a step! And if hubby wants to drywall over them, whitewashing first would mean all you have to lose is a quart of stain or paint, if they don't work out the way you want.
December 3, 2012 at 11:42AM   
marshallhall
Great info. Thanks!!!
December 3, 2012 at 11:46AM     
victorianbungalowranch
I would consider dry brushing them rather than rubbing with a water-down paint or stain. Pine, esp. knotty pine, doesn't take stain well, and will turn sort of a pinkish color in blotches. If you paint or drybrush sort of a taupe color,then go over with a white or off white/gray, it will look more like barnwood, and maybe charcoal grey in the crevices. Experiment behind/under the toilet. Once you get the effect you want, seal it so it can be cleaned.

It might be easier and longer lasting to prime and start with a greige type basecoat to seal the whole thing, and then drybrush. May need more than one coat of various colors (use white or the greige with some craft paint) to get the right efffect. No sealing required that way. Dry brush goes very quickly, so it isn't as hard as it sounds. Stroke with the grain and wash the surface first and let dry a week or so.
December 3, 2012 at 11:50AM   
marshallhall
Thanks for this suggestion. We have a painter but he has never done knotty pine. I will discuss the different methods with him and do some experiments. Thanks again.
December 3, 2012 at 12:25PM