Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for half wall?
bezzi44
December 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am in the process of trying to find the right furniture location (see http://www.houzz.com/discussions/217509). If I cannot get any to work and I have to have my couch against the half wall, what ideas do you have to add security/barrier/railing to this wall so my kids don't use the couch as a launching pad to go into the stair well.

Even though there is a no jumping on the couch rule, I've caught them piling the pillows up on the floor and jumping off yelling "cannon ball!!!"

Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumb2
You may want to consider the half wall a place for an exceptional place for a storage unit of some size.
Rotate that entire unit 90 degrees right or left, which ever you prefer. one chair under the window lamp can stay. right side of window. what is left? one small swivel chair. Can that one go into a bedroom?

You can also consider the TV going on the half wall, if, and only if the children will not mess with it there. Otherwise, I like the cabinet idea for puzzles, books, games for the children.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 10:01AM
nevadan
Why don't you put up some decorative vertical bars to prect the safety of the kids? The furniture arrangement this way or that is not so important.
4 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 10:12AM
bezzi44
Nevadan - that's exactly what I'm asking...for ideas on what to put up there. You can see that there is a cathedral ceiling making it not so easy to just throw up some spindles. I scoured pics and ideabooks and discussions on here and don't find anything.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 10:23AM
mpoulsom
Maybe you should talk to an iron welder/person. Have some ornamental iron work to go from the half wall up to the ceiling. Anyone who does iron railings, fences, gates etc should be able to help you come up with a nice design that will work with your decor and be safe.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 10:34AM
mpoulsom
Your other option would be to have that wall built up a few more feet with framing and sheetrock. If you went that route I would also consider moving the couch to another wall in the room and mounting the tv higher on the new wall and putting a cabinet beneath.
4 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 10:36AM
collettec
Safety first and this looks like a safety hazard. If the furniture doesn't work, get smaller or different furniture.
1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 10:39AM
krancmm
Mid-century modern used lots of "open" vertical slanted wood slats to define spaces. Here are a few more modern takes. You'll notice that one follows a slanted ceiling.
Stair Slats + Walnut Kitchen
Living Room - View through house
Sendai Bathroom

There are also photos of horizontal slats used to define space.

Just need to make sure that they're spaced close enough that kids can't get stuck - probably code with determine spacing if you like this idea.
3 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 10:49AM
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Bezzi! We hear what you're saying about the cathedral ceiling, which could make things difficult. The railing itself also looks quite thin. What if you went the mod route and mounted a tall post at the end of the half-wall to which you could affix cables that ran the length of it and then anchored to the far wall? Just an idea! Good luck!
2 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 10:55AM
lefty47
HI -- I have a wall like that also ,and a 5 year old around . First thing for safety is to NOT have a sofa against it. Have your TV on that wall and place your sofa the other way , either backed to the window or backed to the other wall if it fits. Mount the TV with an articulating bracket , then it can be turned for viewing . I have never had to put or add anything on top of my wall , which would look silly anyway . When you get around to hanging drapes ,-- Fill that window wall with full drapes --from wall to wall and full height , it will make the room look bigger and more modern and tailored . White or off white would be best . I would also paint the window frame the same color as the wall . The window does not need to be outlined .
4 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 11:10AM
decoenthusiaste
Try a simple console at the half wall for the tv. Then put your sofa on the opposite side.

1 Like   December 3, 2012 at 11:17AM
ssmithw
I would put sectional on other side of wall and use a console on the half wall for tv like the one that is mentioned above.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 11:21AM
lefty47
HI -- Where were you planing to put your electric fireplace ? If you do the room arrangment like I mentioned before I think it could go on the wall where you have it proped up. Think about having a 4 foot wide decorative panel that goes to the ceiling for a feature backing for the fireplace . Something in a faux stone or brick to add texture in the room.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 3:24PM
houssaon
I would not be comfortable having the couch there, even without children. Try the wall under the window. Then the TV can stay where it is and the two chairs move more toward the stairs or the TV can go to the knee wall and the two chairs move to the opposite wall. The other option is to move the sectional to the opposite wall, with the two chairs under the window and the TV on the knee wall. That might work better.

I think the room is too small for a fireplace.
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 3:56PM
decoenthusiaste
Anything is possible at Houzz! You can have your tv console and FP too.

0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:32PM
deb jo
Do you like room dividers? It dont need to go all the way to the ceiling and could be also as simple as using a open shelf, it only takes you to move the couch ahead and put them up, so the kids lose interest on the canon ball launcher.

Modern w/ a Side of Ranch
Lively Living Room at Teton Pines
Castleberry Hill Loft
A mix of old and new to create a comfortable living area
StudioWall Modern Room Divider by iDivideWalls.com

Or you could make your own with bamboo, pebbles and a support.
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/11/lack-bamboo-room-divider.html
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 12:57AM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
If you don't want to have it blocked off, and like the "open" feel of the half wall, maybe you would consider a decorative piece of glass inserted there. Obviously a special glass and would be custom. But that would allow light, not close off the room.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 5:15AM
bezzi44
Thank you all so much for your ideas. I'm going to move the couch back under the window but center it this time. I believe I did that before but didn't take a photo. I'll start there anyway.

The one thing I don't like about a TV on a small console on the half wall is that you will look at the back of it as you walk up the stairs. I do like the idea of building the wall up a little higher. It would allow for more options, without closing it off or feeling like a cage (with bars).

I've got some work to do.... I'll keep you updated along the way.
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 6:04AM
Billie G
The only thing that I noticed immediately is that perhaps you would want the sectional to have the left chaise, at least if you want it positioned in that space.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 7:56AM
mpoulsom
Bezzi, have you ever tried the couch on the opposite wall instead of the window wall? Have one chair on the window wall and the other with it's back facing the dining area? I think building that wall up a little is your best option under the circumstances...and you are right, you will have a lot more options. :)
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 8:11AM
amyls64
Im not a professional. But I would definitely move that couch under the window in the right corner. And then . Put a nice painting over the front door that you can see from the 2nd level. Get rid of that 1/2 wall and put open stair way like this. [houzz=
] lift up the carpet and redo your flrrs.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 9:37AM
bezzi44
Here's what it looks like on the other wall.
I would love to pull up carpet but it's not in the budget right now. =( Whitish carpet on the stairs is just stupid. Add kids...well...
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:05PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Consider all the above, but do think of using GLASS. Have a 'glass guy' come to the house or phone with the dimensions.....installing glass on top of the wood that is there now might be the safest, easiest and most effective way to move on from this problem. The glass could run to the ceiling or to a height short of the full height.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 12:12PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the sectional seems to work well where it is for the space and the TV
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:13PM
amyls64
I like it better in your most recent post. I was wonderig it looks facing the dining room under the window. with the chais part against he wall
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:26PM
mpoulsom
Bezzi, i think the couch looks good there! Can't tell, but you may want to turn rug sideways with stripes going opposite way and closer to the couch???? Put it so it runs from the inside of chaise to the left side of your couch and just up under edge of couch. :)
And whenever it's in the budget, or if you run across a deal, look for a larger rug. I wouldn't replace the carpeting until the kids were older, but a larger rug you can get reasonably and replace more easily.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:28PM
mpoulsom
p.s. make them take their shoes off at door! Just start them young and train those little peeps!
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 12:31PM
greenthumb2
thanks for posting again Bezzi44. your space is coming right along.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:35PM
greenthumb2
thanks for posting again Bezzi44. your space is coming right along.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:36PM
bezzi44
mpoulsom - I had a few larger rugs that I returned. I couldn't get size or color right for my budget. The rug in the picture was not in the right place. I had moved the living room every which way and got tired of moving the rug. The side tables are just 'there' too. Not keepers. I haven't gone and bought any furniture until I know how it's going to be set up first. Then buy to fit. I did buy some fabric to cover some of the boring pillows (hate the other side)...

Shoes...off in the garage! They are way better than me at that. Do as I say, not as I do...

If I do the window wall, I have 2 ft either side, when the couch is centered. If I mount the TV on the tall wall on a swing arm, I could rotate it to dining room/kitchen viewing. I could do fire place on the other wall, if I build it up???

Glass would look fabulous but beyond my budget right now. Ugh...budget...becoming such a dirty word.

My rug up close....it's actually better than it looks.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 12:57PM
Ramona
What about a tv armoire against the half wall. You would have to paint the back. I think you could find an inexpensive, narrow one or even a bookshelf type that can hold a tv.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 2:07PM
bezzi44
I just posted in my other post. So sorry if you see this twice.
I moved the couch away from the half wall, centered under the window. I'll live with this for a few days and then maybe try the tall wall.

I know the curtains aren't 'right'. The rods were there and I picked up the panels super cheap and I'll move them to the dining room. I just wanted to see some more texture & color.

The pillows just have fabric tossed over them, nothing sewn yet.

Thoughts? Do you think it would look stupid to build up the half wall and put a faux fire place with a mantel?
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 7:17PM
PRO
Rose Construction, Inc.
Why not have a decorative railing built along the top of the half-wall? About the same height as a railing would be on an outside stair. It could be modern or ornate, whatever you like.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 10:59AM
sarelle
The drapes are beautiful, but they need to be hung up closer to the ceiling, this will also make the room appear taller and larger. Hanging them so low makes the ceiling look lower. If the drapes are not long enough use no sew Iron on tape and add a piece of white fabric in a similar fabric type to the bottom. This will add interest and look good with your rug. Move the couch to the full wall on the right, it chops off the beautiful drapes where it is currently. Have the couch face the half wall where the fireplace is. Have the two chairs flanking each side of the fireplace. Get a coffee table for in front of the couch and hang some nice art above the couch too. One large piece with blues, whites browns greens, not too bold, but nice. I know you like the table ends and lamps on either side of the couch, but try a lamp and table beside the couch on the window wall and put a floor lamp behind the chair that will be beside the right side of the window With a small side table beside that chair on the window side, perhaps a small circular table with a couple of books on it. This way you will still have light at either end of the window and it will look balanced and you will not be cutting off the beautiful drapes. The room will feel balanced, open, comfortable warm, inviting and beautiful! A place you can sit down with and enjoy with your family! With this lay out, you can remove the chair beside the window at Christmas time and put the tree there, it will look perfect!
0 Likes   Thanked by bezzi44    June 23, 2013 at 9:36PM
sarelle
Ps. Make sure the carpet is tucked in under the couch and do not place a chair under the window!!!
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 9:44PM