Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need to decide on a floor.
designideas4me
December 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Please help. Stained concrete is my decision at the moment.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
designideas4me
I have been having trouble uploading pics so I can ask for advice. I see at least one finally worked. Anyway I have been struggling to decide what type of floor to use since I ripped out the carpet in my house. I love this rug and dont want to put carpet back in and I want to keep a very modern look as well. So I was deciding between a stained concrete overlay or hardwood. I also need help deciding what color. Light gray?
December 3, 2012 at 9:37am   
PRO
Eidos Designstudio.com
If you were to go with a wood floor I would suggest a rich walnut or cherry.
December 3, 2012 at 9:40am     
designideas4me
Most of my furniture is wenge in color but these cofee tables do have a walnut veneer. I guss I was trying to stay away from the red tones. I brought home samples of wood and I am always drawn to the dark colors but when I think of putting it into most of the house it seems dark in the hallways. I then decided to go with a light color such as a white or beige or gray but when using wood it was so expensive and I worry about scratches and water on the wood. So than I thought maybe just go with the concrete stain.
December 3, 2012 at 9:46am   
greenthumb2
they make beautiful tile that looks just like wood. not sure the thickness however, which is a concern for traffic flow. I'll send a link.

No. 4 Collection

Wood Look Porcelain Tile

Vintage Wood Planks- Porcelain Tile 5"x24"
December 3, 2012 at 9:48am     
PRO
Eidos Designstudio.com
If your furniture is Wenge and walnut to begin with I would lean to the warmer tone that would soften the brown in your funiture
December 3, 2012 at 10:05am   
PRO
Eidos Designstudio.com
If your furniture is Wenge and walnut to begin with I would lean to the warmer tone that would soften the brown in your funiture
December 3, 2012 at 10:06am   
PRO
Eidos Designstudio.com
December 3, 2012 at 10:06am   
nevadan
I am not so sure that stained concrete can be done on an existing floor.
December 3, 2012 at 10:10am   
designideas4me
Yes the concrete would recieve an overlay or micro-topping which would than be stained whatever color I like. I will post a pic of a sample. But there is a wide range of finishes and looks to polished concrete. This sample I have is very metalic and gray and looks like liquid.
December 3, 2012 at 10:16am   
designideas4me
greenthumb. those pictures are beautiful. I really cant spend more than 10k for the floor and have 2000 sq. feet so I got a good deal at $5 a sq foot to do the concrete. I have not been able to find nice wood or wood tile at that price including labor. Here is a pic of the sample concrete. omg. Bare with me I have to resize the pic or something cuz it wont upload. Anyway I know cherry is warm and rich I just want to try to stay more with cool colors since I love black white and gray and I have a pool which is blue of course and I like maybe some shades of purple. But I want to not use too much pattern in my house or too much color. I just want it natural and modern. Right now it looks empty..lol
December 3, 2012 at 10:38am   
designideas4me
I looked up that italian tile you sent the picture of..omg.. yes I would love it..the large reclangular tile but its like ten to twenty a sq foot.
December 3, 2012 at 10:42am   
PRO
Oak & Broad
Nice hardwood flooring starts at just a few $ per SF. It also ads value to the home whereas concrete with a stain and finish may have less of a marketability in the future. Let me know if you want a quote. The first pictures is Quarter Sawn White Oak at $5SF and the second is Black Walnut at $7SF joel@eutree.com
December 3, 2012 at 11:43am   
designideas4me
Sure I will take a quote but the labor is also 3 plus a sq ft which means another 6k. If I was rich decorating would be no problem. For me it all comes down to money. I have maybe 18k and need to do the floor and the kitchen. Obviously I had to choose or just paint ugly oak cabinets for now. I think any hard surface adds value but I plan to stay here and do it for me not to sell the house. But yes the concrete is more specific to my taste.When it comes to wood what happens if i drip water on my feet from the pool? Or if the dishwasher collects water and it spills or my dog has an accident? I was told its not good. May have to replace the plank. Also I dont like much wood other than maple but I am scared with a narrow hallway from living area to bedrooms that it will look dark and also with black appliances it will need a lighter floor . I love the look of the du chateau 7 inch white oak but its expensive. Again I dont have the budget.what can I do for under 12k max including labor. I want a natural earthy looking house and laminate to me is plastic or fake and can absorb water I am told.

PS can someone tell me how to resize pics to post here and what program to use. Thanks for your replies
December 3, 2012 at 5:38pm   
Darzy
If you're using a digital camera..you probably have a setting in the menu called "web"size or change the setting to 72 dpi. Or, in a photo program that you can "resize" to 72 dpi (suitable for uploading). Or, a photo program that has a save file called..."save for web or web devices). The problem could be the DPI is large and makes it a HUGE file and hard to upload.
December 3, 2012 at 5:49pm   
Darzy
oh..if you decide on the concrete floor idea be sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. Moisture can creep up and create ugly white spots all over your beautiful floor that you can't get off. Friends of ours did stained concrete in the entire ground floor and shortly after looked terrible. They ended up installling travertine tiles over it! $$$
December 3, 2012 at 5:51pm   
Darzy
How about large size tile? Rectified so that you really don't have grout lines. Then, you can get any color your want and do not have to worry about water problems.
December 3, 2012 at 5:55pm   
Darzy
Here is a "linen" look tile..with small grout lines.

December 3, 2012 at 5:59pm     
designideas4me
Thank you but how do I find tile like that for under 10k installed. whenever I look the tile plus labor is like 7-10 a sq. ft. And I Even found people to do the install for 3 a sq ft but nice big quality porcilian tile is expensive. where is the best place to look close to san diego or L.A. or online?
December 3, 2012 at 9:12pm   
Darzy
I'm a DIY'er and sometimes forget about labor costs!
December 3, 2012 at 9:56pm   
greenthumb2
Hi designideas4me,

Concrete is very cold and hard on the feet and legs.

If you plan to keep the home for a very long time, save your money and put in something warmer with give in it. Although I love some of the textures and colors of concrete, for a home, I still prefer it to be on the outside of the home. Save your money. "=)
December 3, 2012 at 10:01pm   
Darzy
It takes some work, planning, renting equipment and buying tools..but you really can DIY! Nice looking tile can be purchaed for $1.85 sq ft (plus backer, grout, rent tile saw), etc. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100570678/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=linen+look+ceramic+tile&storeId=10051
December 3, 2012 at 10:03pm   
designideas4me
Well I am disabled so I will have to hire someone for sure even if its just a handiman who has experience with tile BUT how is tile any less cold or how does it provide more give than concrete? I have back pain and live with chronic pain. Other than carpet, arent all floors hard?
December 3, 2012 at 10:45pm   
Darzy
Cork would be a perfect option for you.
December 3, 2012 at 10:47pm   
designideas4me
I will save my bottles...lol.. no I dont like the look of cork. sorry. But I like your little doggie. I have a malti-pom I take with me everywhere.
December 3, 2012 at 11:11pm     
greenthumb2
Hi, yes, well, great point. Honestly, a wood floor gives and is easier on joints. It's a bummer you are considering more concrete. And, yes, tile is like living on concrete, essentially just more of the same.
Wish you could go with wood. Way warmer and yes, does bend and breathe.
Yes, it would be expensive to have a raised wood floor. There may be an option of it out there not yet discovered.

This is an interesting start to learning about concrete and wood. http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Installing_Hardwood_Floors.html
covers moisture content of wood and concrete and also what and how a wood floor can be installed over concrete.
December 3, 2012 at 11:56pm   
Janet Kieck
I'm also agonising over concrete vs anything else and am liking the option of vinyl floor tiles - looks like wood, easy to maintain and more eco friendly than hardwood!
December 4, 2012 at 12:05am     
designideas4me
greenthumb..I like your ideabook of those creative nature ideas. I too love my plants and rocks and pool and want to bring more of that earthy crunchy feeling inside..lol...

I am on a tight budget and so confused. I have to just do something. I have had no floor for 2 yrs. Well its a floor but it looks ugly.
December 4, 2012 at 12:21am     
designideas4me
Yes I read briefly thru that website and I know that I can but a click lock laminate or engineered wood over the concrete with a mosture barrier. So tell me.. what type of wood and what color and how do I deal with it in the kitchen since I dont want to section off the kitchen with tile due to the layout of the house it wouldnt look right. Some say no prob. with wood in kitchen and others say dont do it. Most of the houses where I am have the basic carpet and linolium inside and a few are carpet and tile. Occationally you see upgrades to partial laminate and tile with carpet. Do I have to make my house look like the others..lol...
December 4, 2012 at 12:28am   
designideas4me
ok I am not going to give up. I cant seem to resize and upload the pics yet BUT I am going to post this website to show you how pretty concrete can look............http://www.modernconcretesurfaces.com/
December 4, 2012 at 12:46am   
designideas4me
Ok so tell me which color to use if I go with this look. Please.

Modern Concrete Surfaces

www.modernconcretesurfaces.com
December 4, 2012 at 12:48am   
Darzy
Hi..thanks..Our little doggie is a 7 year old mini! only 2.75lbs and "owns" our hearts! Actually, I also wanted a stained, polished concrete floor throught my house because we have wood in the kitchen, family room and carpet throughout the rest..installed about 12 years ago. Now, the wood looks terrible and the carpet already needs replaced. (We have 2 other dogs and throw a lot of parties!). But, my husband does NOT want to do the stained concrete because he said it looks like a warehouse or our local grocery store. BUT...when done right...it looks beautiful. I agree with you. I wanted to do a color/stain that looks a bit like medium brown leather. I just think I would avoid a gray tone so as not to accentuate that it is concrete. Plus, with area rugs and hall carpet runners it won't be as "cold". I thought concrete was the way to go because I do not want to spend more bucks replacing flooring and, in my old age, what if I need a wheel chair or walker? It makes sense to me. Oh..I mentioned before. Be sure to get it in writing that they will guarantee that moisture, white staining spots will not occur or they will fix! Our friends concrete staining installation turned out very bad.
December 4, 2012 at 10:27am   
Darzy
Here is a beautiful stained concrete floor. The second photo is the "brown leather" look I like. I'm sure it's extra for the "diamond" cut.
Riverside Basement Renovation
concrete overlay and stain with cuts
December 4, 2012 at 10:37am   
greenthumb2
Hi, I am back. :=) As for wood, you may ask around for pricing on it because depending on the market and the availability of the wood will determine the cost. I am certain there is some reputable company out there near to you who knows what they are doing. If it is hard to get to the areas where it is sold, you may have to do some phone work and have friends or family help you out. I like to use a contractor who a) has lived in the area for at least 10 years and b) one who is always busy, but a little pricey.

Normally, these are the craftspeople/contractors that do what they say they are going to do because their reputation is at stake and they have a stake in their community and take pride in their work. Yes, a little bit more money. If someone is in my home working on it, I want it done right the first time. That is the person or team you want remaking your floors. :=) PS. Has anyone ever checked your floors for level?
December 4, 2012 at 1:00pm   
designideas4me
I am so frustrated.. please help. Well I resized all my pics now and set my camera correctly so that they are all 0.2 or 0.3megapixels which is what panasonic said is the correct size to upload. I dont see any guidlines here on sizing photos but its weird that when I click on browse the pic in my folder is able to highlight and open and i see the link appear in the attatch images reclange(the spot below this message). But when I click submit to post the picture it just vanishes and nothing uploads,not the text I wrote or the picture. what am I doing wrong?
December 4, 2012 at 1:26pm   
designideas4me
The floor is levelI am pretty sure. I got a good deal on the concrete from a guy who does great work and has lots of high end clients in L.A. and San Francisco. The wood came out to a few thousand more and I am sure I could pic some cheap tile on sale at home depot and get that done for less or some cheap laminate and struggle to do it with a handiman and save money but in the end it will look boring !! I dont want boring. I want creative and original. If I had the money alot of the people on here have( judging from the pics they post and they budget they seem to have) maybe I would do some du chateau wood for 15 a sq foot. But I dont have the money so I just want a floor that looks high end and special for what I can afford and not like 1.50 tile or 1.75 laminate. I am going to do the concrete. I have to move out for 5 days to get it done. Its a big project. What color should I try to match it with? Since the walls are not painted and I may replace the cabinets.
December 4, 2012 at 1:47pm     
PRO
Linda
I prefer to spend less on material and more on labor. There's nothing wrong with 1.50 sq/ft tile especially if it is installed spot-on. Design, layout, color, symmetry, balance are all more important to me than using expensive, trendy materials. Don't spend all your money on material then have no money to install it correctly.
December 4, 2012 at 7:48pm     
mjmil
I am glad you decided to go with the stained concrete. I think it will look wonderful. I like the colors Putty and Aged Adobe. I hope you find the right color for your home.
December 4, 2012 at 8:16pm   
designideas4me
Thank you for your help. Linda that was a very wise suggestion. when doing a new floor and having white walls and no countertop and able to repaint or replace the cabinets... its a blank slate. What do you work off? I tried to do cabinets first but I guess now I gave into doing the floor first since thats what we need most.
December 4, 2012 at 9:11pm   
greenthumb2
On a practical note, you may consider a medium shade of your favorite color. A warmer tone will probably suit you well, unless you plan to warm it up with substantial area rugs. If you go with too dark of a floor, it will show dirt and hair quickly and you'll never find that earring back you may have dropped. :=) dark is lovely but shows the dirt immediately.
December 5, 2012 at 12:46am   
saraflarflar
If your sticking with that furniture then I 100% think you should go with a bold red carpeting. It will look modern and clean. Red is considered a neutral so don't be afraid of it. I had red carpet in my last bedroom but sadly I moved and I really miss that room. Anyways. Yea it think a red carpet would look marvelous.
December 5, 2012 at 8:03am   
designideas4me
wow.. cant do red. But thanks for the idea. On the flip side it may come in handy when my dog goes into heat every 6 months..lol

sorry..red is too bright for me in large amounts.
December 5, 2012 at 1:12pm   
designideas4me
Ok I am back to this thread and read to post some pics now that my son told me to use google chrome to upload instead of IE. Lets see if this works.
December 9, 2012 at 9:08pm     
designideas4me
Yeah it worked. wish I did this a week ago. Anyway must have been a browser issue. Ok so here is a view of my living room and dining room and the wall with the tv is opposite the beige couch then on the opposite side of the wall from the dining table is the den which has the brown couch and fireplace and opposite that is my very unfinished kitchen. I am going to add more pics now. the sectional with the carpet still on the floor is my sons room and now I will add a pic of my room and the outside area and kitchen. Please help me decide on a floor color. Ok one pic left for Babybear.. my love.
December 9, 2012 at 9:18pm     
Darzy
Check out this Houzz link on a S. Cal rancher updated with beautiful concrete polished floors...

December 9, 2012 at 9:28pm   
designideas4me
Ok sorry I am happy that I can post pics so am going to post more of my very incomplete somewhat embarassing house that I need a floor and counter and cabinet decision for before I live here for 5 more years. All comments and suggestions welcome.
December 9, 2012 at 9:28pm   
designideas4me
Thanks Darzy I did see that today. Look at the water in my pool. I am fascinated with the patterns made by the water and now I think maybe the concrete reminds me of this. The pic I just posted shows a sample of the overlay and a sample of travertine. I dont know if I should go with matt or gloss and with light gray or silver or beige or even black. I am still torn. I need to tie the 3 rooms together.
December 9, 2012 at 9:31pm   
designideas4me
Ok last post of some more rooms to help me choose one color that will work with existing furniture and make the house flow as a whole.
December 9, 2012 at 9:36pm   
designideas4me
Ok so outside I plan to have the concrete redone as well and then paint the fence gray and put up something dramatic in the center of that fence which is visible from the kitchen window in order to tie in the outside colors with the inside so it all works as one. I have more of a tan brown color scheme going in the bedrooms so I want to be sure that what I use in the main living area will work in the bedrooms as well.
December 9, 2012 at 9:39pm   
designideas4me
Darzy.. Do you think the finish and color in the orange county house above is the way to go for my house or do you think more swirl and shine is better? Or better to keep it subtle and have more of a matt finish in one color?
December 9, 2012 at 10:08pm   
Darzy
I think I'd keep it subtle since it will last "forever". You can always change your area rugs with color/texture when the mood strikes. Semi-shine in one color. You can't go wrong with that. A swirly pattern in color you may regret a few years down the road.
December 9, 2012 at 10:21pm     
Darzy
PS..BabyBear is adorable! Your house is going to look fab when you're finished!
December 9, 2012 at 10:32pm   
greenthumb2
Agree with Darcy.
Save the pop for accessory items. That way, you can change them easier -- seasonally if that works for you. Or twice per year, fall/winter look and spring/summer look. Pillow covers, wattages and colors of bulbs, finishes. Love your pool. Love you pup. and great job posting the pics.
December 9, 2012 at 10:35pm     
designideas4me
Ok so are you guys saying gray is best? or a matt light brown tone? Dark gray like the pic below? How do I choose the shade of gray? what do I do with the beige tones in the bedroom once I have a gray floor? and what color do I paint the cabinets in the kitchen? Here are some pics of various concrete floors.
December 9, 2012 at 10:54pm   
designideas4me
I know my kitchen looks horrible but to get new cabinets and a counter was 15k and then I cant do the floor so I had to choose for the moment. I had it all stained dark brown but it looked too dark so I sanded all the cabinet doors and I guess I will paint them for now or just wait and get new ones... most likely ikea. and I am going to get a glass table in place of the wood table. Everything was turning out brown. Brown couch and stools and then the cabinets so I just looked around and said yuk I need to lighten things up. Thats why I am trying to add more silver and maybe add an accent wall in that light yellow or violet. Its too monocromatic throughout.
December 9, 2012 at 11:00pm   
Darzy
I think the So Cal house polished concrete floor of gray/almost white floor would be perfect. Neutral yet beautiful and will go with anything. Even the beautiful watery reflection of your pool.
December 9, 2012 at 11:11pm   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I'm with Darzy. Black is beautiful, but as I mentioned before, the dark colours show "everything" and you will be cleaning it all the time.

I'm glad you were finally able to get your pics posted. You got a lot of great responses. Your place will be fabulous when it's done. I agree with the comment that you want good/great labour because that can really make the finished product sing. Good Luck.
December 10, 2012 at 5:13am   
PRO
Here are your images. Stay with a medium gray, with maybe some taupe/brown mixed in if you are looking for more warmth.
December 10, 2012 at 5:39am   
PRO
one more
December 10, 2012 at 5:39am   
PRO
a third one
December 10, 2012 at 5:40am   
PRO
Wood
December 10, 2012 at 5:43am     
PRO
Black
These should help you make up your mind :-)
December 10, 2012 at 5:46am   
designideas4me
Thank you Carolyn. I want that software. omg. you make it look so easy. I love black which is why I bought that floating glass refrig from jenn air then came to find out that stainless is which easier to choose cabinets for. Because of the open layout of the house and a long hall with no windows I was concerned the black would be too dark and not create enough contrast in the kitchen. Trust me I am always cleaning anyway. My son says the dark wood is the choice he wants but with being in and out of the pool with wet feet in the house or Babybear having some stress incontinence over excitement issues lol and with my mother using a walker I am worried the wood may not be a good choice. If I did a laminate and saved some money I supose it wont scratch or stain but is it ok for the wet areas of the kitchen and bath because I was hoping to choose a floor that will just flow thru the house and not create a chopped up look of transitions at bathrooms. Should I save money on the floor and do laminate and put more into that ugly kitchen. Is the kitchen really the best investment on a return for the money as opposed to the floor. I plan to stay here but still want to make wise decisions on this money because I dont plan to have more saved towards this renovation in the future. Kinda a one shot deal.
December 10, 2012 at 8:12am   
PRO
It's probably cheaper to pay someone with the software if you only need it to do this job :-)
I wouldn't put the laminate in the washroom however i have used it in a kitchen with three dogs and a family room with a big dog. Problem is the really nice ones are very expensive. Consider a nice charcoal concrete finish - it may give you the contrast you want.

Good luck.
December 10, 2012 at 8:16am   
designideas4me
yes based on cost per sq foot I keep going back to the concrete. I was thinking a laminate under 3 bux and maybe have my son help with labor if its just a click lock easy to install floor but I am sure with underlayment and some labor cost to at least do the baseboards and help us get it installed correctly that it may end up costing 8k anyway so is it really worth it? Whats a good laminate and how do you know? Thickness of top layer? sounds like I would still need tile in the bathroom? Laminate cant get wet? Does it warp or buckle? Ikea has some for 1-2 bux a sq foot but am I just wasting money to put in something of that quality in the long run?
December 10, 2012 at 10:46am