powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Fireplace Makeovers!!! Share your own fireplace makeovers in this thread, so others can get inspired!!
mpoulsom
December 3, 2012 in Before & After
This is what we've been calling the Jenga Fireplace. 1968 original brick fireplace with odd stepped out brick on top. Painted it gray for a temp fix, then the final project last week. We covered the brick in different size pieces of poplar, some jut out in the stacked wood puzzle. Made a concrete slab for hearth and then used one wide board of poplar on bottom surround.
(please excuse christmas clutter) :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tzipsie10
Love it! Did you also paint the insert?
December 3, 2012 at 3:03PM     
charleee
Very cool! And I like your gingerbread men!
December 3, 2012 at 3:36PM   
judianna20
Outstanding. Did you stain the wood, mpoulsom? Poor Santa, he is plugged in. What happens?
December 3, 2012 at 3:50PM   
mpoulsom
1. Painted the insert kind of a beige color to blend with the wood color.

2. Thanks bob! :)

3. Judy judy judy...Just oiled it a little for now. Keeping more of the natural color. Poor santa...yes he's still there in the living room, whistling, snoring and his stomach goes up and down like he's breathing! I keep moving him under the tree and then when I get home he has been moved by some mysterious elves! It's a battle! HA!
December 3, 2012 at 4:00PM     
judianna20
Well, it looks great. That Santa better get himself up and out of that bed by 12/24. He has been hanging around your house tooooo long. I will be waiting!
December 3, 2012 at 4:14PM     
olldroo
You should be so proud of yourself, it looks amazing. You are very talented. Love the decorations too, who wouldn't want a bed in front of a fireplace like that.
December 3, 2012 at 8:11PM     
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Like the stacking and the jutting - nice job on this makeover!
December 6, 2012 at 11:35AM     
mpoulsom
Thank you Paradise! I wish some others would share their fireplace makeovers! :)
December 6, 2012 at 1:08PM   
olldroo
mp - maybe you have set the bar too high - LOL!!!!
December 6, 2012 at 1:54PM     
PRO
Dytecture
That is one of the more unique fireplace surround treatment I've seen in a while !
December 7, 2012 at 6:17AM     
mpoulsom
Thank you Dytecture! It's hard to be original.....I'm sure someone has done it before and somewhere though! It was one of those "spur of the moment", "ran into some materials" kind of things and we decided it could work. We love it. :)
December 7, 2012 at 9:00AM   
PRO
BrokerInTrust Real Estate - Jane Kennedy
Nice job on the fireplace! I do have a question about using wood in close proximity to the firebox due to flammability.

I've added photos of a strong contender for the ugly fireplace award. While preparing this town home for sale, the homeowner allowed me, her real estate broker & my contractor husband to give it a facelift.
February 11, 2013 at 12:51AM     
mpoulsom
well, Jane Kennedy, we did not remove the brick, but placed the wood on top of it! So it's all fine and dandy! :)
February 15, 2013 at 10:39AM   
Janet
I agree with Jane...wacky. I hope you checked your local building code first.....
March 6, 2013 at 4:34PM   
PRO
Brown Bros. Masonry
We've never veneered any with wood before but we have veneered many with stone.
March 7, 2013 at 9:22AM     
4isablessing
This is my very red brick fire place. I don't have any budget to reface it.. but if someone can give me ideas on how to make it brighter. I think we should lighten the grout for a start.. what else can i do? Can i paint the cement mantle a brighter color? White/Cream? And maybe get rid of the brass by painting over it? Chime in.. i would love to hear from those who had the same issue.
March 7, 2013 at 9:43AM   
mpoulsom
Yes you can paint the concrete and the brass....you can use spray paint on the brass and concrete paint on the mantel.
Have you considered just painting the brick itself? It will totally change the room. Look up painted brick fireplaces in the photo section. There are a lot of them and can totally change the look. Or look-up white-washing a fireplace. That can look good as well.
March 7, 2013 at 9:55AM     
PRO
First take away all of the items currently on the fireplace so you can better see what you have to work with. If you like the brick but want to tone it down, you can mist it with watered down paint in a neutral light shade, using a sprayer, to give a light wash to the brick but still allow the texture and the variations of brick tone to show through. This allows to you make subtle changes and not regret a big dramatic change. It will soften the look of the brick and will also lighten the grout color if you make sure that area is misted as well. You can keep layering on the mist until you are happy with the results.

You can then beef up the mantle making it visually heavier to balance all the brick. You can wrap it with wood that is left rustic or wrap it with moulding painted for a more traditional feel.

The alcove where you have the Dura flame logs would look a whole lot better if you actually stored nicely cut to length firewood. As for the Brass fireplace screen it does jump out at you. If you're on a tight budget, you can find some heat resistant paint and hope to make the brass disappear. Better still would be to find a smaller, different one to fit inside the fireplace opening rather than the one you have that larger than the opening and is installed on the face of the fireplace.
March 7, 2013 at 10:06AM   
Denice Shuty
BrokerIntel - I like your solution. I have a similar tiered corner fireplace that is vexing!!! Only mine has 3 mantels - like a wedding cake, and the chimney goes all the way up to the 18' ceiling separating the living room from the stairwell.

I redid the tile, which I love, and had the bottom tier clad in wood, but those top two tiers are not an asset.. It is just drywall with rounded corners/edges. I didn't want to box them in too, so all I could think of at the time was papering them with a faux leather.

Any suggestions???
March 9, 2013 at 8:53AM   
PRO
Your pictures are very helpful!

At first glance, making the "stepped area" a dark color by papering it in faux leather... you've added "weight" to the top of the fireplace mantle area which to me, is not the best solution. You also have
a lot going on there, between the stepped over mantle area, angled stair railing & handrails and color changes.

If you think the two additional tiers do not serve any purpose or function, you could remove them/cut them back to the vertical boxed in chimney and complete the drywall repair to the stairwell wall and the base of the vertical chimney. You could then fill in the horizontal area between your wood mantle and the chimney with more oak veneered plywood (that appears to be the material you have used). I don't think it will be difficult to tie in the new oak plywood to what you already have.

You will leave a large flat area for display but I would be cautious on the size/quantity of items displayed.

Another option would be to continue the middle tier up and box in the top tier so that there would just be one tier above your mantle, reaching up to to the flat handrail on your stair way. I would also suggest you have the drywall finished with square corners, like the rest of the drywall I see in the pictures. I noticed stepped area is the only one with rounded corners and one more reason why it just doesn't look "right". I would then paint the entire dry-walled area the same as your wall color. It might seem strange to combine the top two tiers into one larger tier, but I think it will give a good transition between the fireplace and the wall/stairway and would serve to simplify the look.
March 9, 2013 at 9:36AM   
Denice Shuty
Good points, BrokerIntel, You are very good at articulating the details. I am digesting what you said.

My first inclination is to remove the top tier so that more of the wall with the handrail shows. I will remove the faux leather paper. I can't paint the new section of drywall the same Dijon gold color because it doesn't exist anymore, so I can try for a computer match, but it won't be exact. I don't think I want more of the oak...

There is also a rounded edge on the display shelf in the stairwell, but I don't want to start ripping out more drywall just to get rid of the rounded edge.
March 9, 2013 at 9:58AM   
PRO
Be sure to take pictures of the end result. I'd love to see what you decide to have done.
March 10, 2013 at 1:33PM     
Denice Shuty
Jane, Please vivit my new comment thread "Need help with wedding-cake fireplace". I am stripping away the faux leather, then plan on cutting off the top tier. I have posted an in-progress photo. Would like your feedback.
March 10, 2013 at 2:06PM   
Janet
Here is mine that I just finished (+ new replacement fireplace doors).
March 19, 2013 at 2:32PM     
mpoulsom
Janet P. it's beautiful!!!!
March 19, 2013 at 2:38PM     
Denice Shuty
Very modern!
March 19, 2013 at 3:09PM   
PRO
Studio NOO Design
Beautiful ! and Janet too !
March 20, 2013 at 8:02AM   
Denice Shuty
Hit a snag with my fireplace re-do. Started removing the drywall that makes up the top tier of my wedding cake-like chimney and found ductwork underneath it. The metal duct angles from the wall outward, so that's why they boxed it out in steps. It was either that or slant the drywall to follow the angle off the duct. So I don't think I can remove that top layer as I had planned...
April 7, 2013 at 4:23PM   
mpoulsom
sorry writely yours....
April 8, 2013 at 2:54PM   
Nancy Walton
I moved a pellet stove from the living room and replaced it with a gas-fired kiva fireplace:
April 8, 2013 at 3:58PM   
Nancy Walton
@Writely Yours--I would slant the drywall on the same angle as the stairway.
April 8, 2013 at 4:00PM   
Denice Shuty
Since the fireplace is in a corner and shaped as a rectangle, not a square, I would have compound angles that would be different from each other because one side is shorter (steeper angle) than the other.
April 8, 2013 at 4:34PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.