powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What cocktail tables(s) will pull together my 2 new sofas?
donzeiser
December 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Help! We finally got some new sofas in our family room and I really like the way the room is coming together. But, we have a huge space to fill with a cocktail table(s) or ottoman/poufs. Keep in mind we have 3 young kids so no glass or mirror. Measured distance between sofas, about 95 inches. Don't wanna do huge table that will eat up room, but don't want small "puzzle" pieces either! Help!

FYI, I have cool grays in the room and Revere Pewter by BM on walls. Want tables to be deeper/darker in color. Would even do the right patterned ottoman.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donzeiser
Here is a photo! I just pushed sofas in a little more so it's about 90 inches between sofas
December 3, 2012 at 7:43PM   
gale0067
Do you mind me asking that the dimension of this room is? We are building a house right now and the living room is laid out like yours with a fireplace at the far wall and only one entrance opposite it. I've been struggling with furniture layouts in my head, and I really like your setup!
December 3, 2012 at 8:22PM   
gale0067
**do you mind me asking what the dimensions of this room are?**
December 3, 2012 at 8:24PM   
Darzy
You could do a tufted ottoman with storage...if you need a place to put toys or blankets away quickly. Yes! The room in very nicely done!

December 3, 2012 at 8:42PM     
donzeiser
Gale0067, I'd have to measure room for you but it's quite large. We too have a FP on far right of this picture. And the opposite side of room (where I stood to take picture) is a casual eating area. This one great room is off of my kitchen.
December 3, 2012 at 8:48PM   
charleee
Great idea from Darzy! I would add some beanbag chairs for the kids: [houzz=
]
December 4, 2012 at 5:22AM     
daveyola
I'd pull the sofas a tad closer and put a large distressed wood coffee table in, low height, it will warm up the room quite a bit
December 4, 2012 at 5:38AM     
donzeiser
Thanks daveyola, would you do dark wood? square? how large would you go?
December 4, 2012 at 5:42AM   
alwaysdesigning
I myself would do a tufted ottoman, large. But I also notice how far apart your sofas are from each other and I don't think personally a table in the middle is required. I would just stick to end tables at each end of sofas and some extra small slipper chairs or poufs that can be pulled up towards the middle if needed. Keeping the space in the middle open with small kids and their toys will be a very welcome space I think. Good luck
December 4, 2012 at 5:46AM   
pcmom1
I love two sofas facing each other for conversation, but it looks like only the chair has a good angle for TV viewing. Have you considered an L shape for the sofas?
December 4, 2012 at 8:41AM   
charleee
pcmom1 has a great idea. If you decide not to go that way, how about 2 tufted ottomans, staggered? Put one toward the right of one sofa, the other to the left.
December 4, 2012 at 8:45AM   
donzeiser
Yes, but it cuts the room in half since I have a dining table on the opposite side of the room (where I stood when I took picture). We aren't bothered by viewing from sofas. Thanks!
December 4, 2012 at 8:46AM     
Darzy
I was also thinking of a distressed wood type coffee table to mix things up in a medium tone.

December 4, 2012 at 9:42AM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Now that you have only 90" between the two sofas, you could nudge them 2" closer and use this Wisteria table that is 50" square and child friendly. I like to leave 18" between the table and a sofa.
December 4, 2012 at 5:40PM     
Ramona
I'd use floor lamps for reading and one sofa table and one side table. Otherwise, you will have a cluttered look with too many side tables. The room is pleasantly balanced so you need a little asymmetry.
December 4, 2012 at 5:55PM   
PRO
Ramona, you are so right! End tables are great for holding a table lamp, but otherwise they seem like space grabbers to me. And when donzeiser already has a long linear look with the two sofas, a sofa table would be so much better than adding more length. Or they could just use floor lamps.
December 4, 2012 at 6:18PM   
donzeiser
I'm ahead of u! :). I have a sofa table behind sofa on left. See pics
December 4, 2012 at 6:22PM   
donzeiser
I'm ahead of u! :). I have a sofa table behind sofa on left. See pics
December 4, 2012 at 6:22PM   
PRO
That's great! Now you need one or two lamps to put on it.
December 4, 2012 at 6:43PM   
donzeiser
Yes, I'm thinking of getting 2, Eskor lamps by Madegoods. I'll look for pic
December 4, 2012 at 6:46PM   
December 4, 2012 at 6:49PM   
PRO
Lovely lamp, tho it may be a little short. However, if you can try one out, do so. Otherwise, I'd look for something in the 30" or taller range.
December 4, 2012 at 6:51PM   
December 4, 2012 at 6:52PM   
Ramona
Wow that is some mirror. Very interesting but I have synesthesia so I couldn't use it. It would literally hurt to look at it, but it is beautiful. I would get one round side table placed between the chair and the sofa on the right and do the ottoman with tray thing. Those lamps won't give you reading light on the sofa, just ambient light. That is why I suggested floor lamps. I am a reader, so this is always a question for me. Won't your kids need to read in this room eventually?
December 4, 2012 at 7:09PM   
PRO
I couldn't use it either. It's just too user unfriendly. How about one of these: Quatrefoil Mirror Montclair Mirror
December 4, 2012 at 7:16PM     
Ramona
If I redo my bathroom/s, I want this mirror. But house is underwater so putting any money into decoration I can't be sure to take with me is a no. no.
http://image.lampsplus.com/is/image/r2027.fpx?qlt=75&wid=160&hei=160&fmt=jpeg

I also like this one: http://image.lampsplus.com/is/image/w8577.fpx?qlt=75&wid=160&hei=160&fmt=jpeg

this one is round: http://image.lampsplus.com/is/image/r4623.fpx?qlt=75&wid=160&hei=160&fmt=jpeg

You need round in the room, but if you got a rectangular mirror perhaps you could flank it with round or oral mirrors or pictures.

I so want the shell mirror for my next home, but even if I bought it, I might need two or then have an extra.

$ 500 is a lot for a mirror

I would surf a lot before deciding and also go to second hand stores where you might get something better than you can buy new and with more character at a good price.

If you don't want metal and wood is too boring, shells would be my choice but we are actually running out of shells, so what used to be just junk is now for million dollar homes.
December 4, 2012 at 8:20PM   
Darzy
I think the "rustic" table would be great with your lamps. I love the porcupine mirror!
December 4, 2012 at 9:05PM   
pcmom1
I was thinking that 4 square ottomans would work well between the sofas. During a party they would allow a lot of seating for guests to visit with folks sitting on the sofas. Other times, broken apart and pulled towards the sofas.

I am thinking of the ottomans that can have the tops flipped over to a tray side.
December 4, 2012 at 9:42PM   
PRO
I like the capiz shell mirror and the quatrefoil mirror.
December 5, 2012 at 6:59AM