Professionals
Users
Capecod House Pic
kmcfite
December 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Here's the photo
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
greenthumb2
Lose the white (in large areas at minimum) window sashes ok white. balusters are too bright, in my opinion as it draws too much attention to above and below the deck... I will find a link for you to preview other's for ideas.
December 3, 2012 at 10:26pm   
greenthumb2

here is a home where they have grounded it with color. Notice the deck area. It's posts are somewhat connected by panels.
For coloring changes/additions: Even though you have brick, the effect can be the same. I would continue with the warm color palette. But, wonder if you have a specific question?
December 3, 2012 at 10:41pm   
victorianbungalowranch
Tan instead of white is a possibilty. Agree, the contrast is too high.
December 3, 2012 at 11:01pm   
kmcfite
Thank you for your quick response! This is my Dad's home in Virginia. We tried to use a virtual color tool but didn't have any luck. What color do u recommend for dormer and porch? I agree balusters are too bright. They'll need to be toned down.
December 3, 2012 at 11:03pm     
greenthumb2
Here is the sticky part. You'll need to spend some real time with colors in person. I often suggest choosing at least three colors that you think will work and purchase small can of each color. Then prime, let dry, and paint sample panels (say scrap plywood) but to make sure you label each sample so you remember the proper color. And always remember if you bought flat or satin finish. Reflective values change with paint color, and time of day. Some greens, for example, look straight out of a cartoon, while others are relaxing to look at during day, dawn, and dusk.
December 3, 2012 at 11:14pm     
victorianbungalowranch
They have tutorials on how to create the masks, but it is fiddley, and it is a pain to do it for spindles.

Plywood is good--prime first. Posterboard will do in a pinch and if you don't leave it out in the rain or at night.
December 3, 2012 at 11:29pm   
greenthumb2
the flag pole is sweet. :=)
December 3, 2012 at 11:31pm   
greenthumb2
The winter garten room window/sliders need to be minimized, as well as the side of the dormers. Take your time looking at images and colors. :=)

Some stores have programs to help you but I'd ask a friend or family member. Then, there is little or no pressure.
December 3, 2012 at 11:33pm   
kmcfite
Thanks, I'll do that. We were originally thinking black shutters but now I'm not sure. Would u do the base color (cement at garage level) a shade darker than dormer/porch color?
December 3, 2012 at 11:34pm   
kmcfite
I really appreciate everyone's comments! I'll look at my BM color wheel and post some color ideas. Have a good night (:
December 3, 2012 at 11:40pm   
houssaon
How about a tan like Benjamin Moore's Briarwood. See: Lake Washington whole house

I would paint the trim white and the shutters black or a dark grey. A grey like: Dolphin AF-715 by Benjamin Moore or Amherst Gray HC-167 by Benjamin Moore. I would paint the railings and posts white or paint the spindles dark brown. I'd paint the lower level grey or dark brown.
December 3, 2012 at 11:54pm   
Pamela Danner
Consider cinnamon, rust or pumpkin for the dormer, basement and sun room. Something that would blend with the brick and make it more unified I would leave the deck stained the way it is and pick a nice accent color for the trim and use the same color on the spindles the shutters and doors you can do a bold color to make it pop I would also consider adding additional shutters and flower boxes to further unify
December 4, 2012 at 2:02am   
greenthumb2
Hi Cape Cod, I am in a different time zone. I did see some warm colors today but the paint chip is Kelly Moore ecoat; which is actually recycled paint. I have no idea about the longevity of it though. But you can see the color; TumbleWeed EC-106. You should really do some sample sheets of colors from your wheel.
December 4, 2012 at 10:08am   
More Discussions
Proposed/Photoshopped kitchen idea (with your input!)
This is a follow up to an original post I made a few...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
Just Moved! Stumped by large, open wall area!
Hi all - Please help! My husband and I just moved to...
What color should I paint this bench?
I am trying to do a "pick me up" in our mud room area....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.