Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with awkward round mirror??
Samwise
December 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Ever since we moved into this condo, I've been haunted by the awkward round mirror on our huge empty living room wall!

We're renters and the mirror was on the wall when we moved in; I'm pretty sure the thing is glued on because it WILL NOT come off no matter how hard I try!

I feel like there's something I can do to make the space less awkward looking... maybe hang some pictures around it or something? I just have no idea!

Again, we're renters so I don't want to do anything permanent to the space.

Side note: I plan on re-covering the cushions and pillows on the couch in a light grey and colorful prints to brighten up the room a bit, and am considering DIY'ing a pallet coffee table and getting rid of the dark brown IKEA one in the picture.

All help and suggestions are appreciated!

(Sorry my dog photobombed! lol)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nasmijati
Perhaps you could hang a large piece of art to cover the mirror??
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 9:50AM
lesliemahler
Since it sounds like you are DIY friendly what about having a donut shape cut out of plywood and hot glueing driftwood to it? Here's an example, albeit a much smaller version:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/112874000/sunburst-driftwood-mirror-beach-house?ref=usr_faveitems

You could even use some of the "donut" to cover part of the mirror it you want. Good luck!
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 9:53AM
houssaon
You could vreat a collage of photos, pictures and othe mirrors on that wall. Take a couple of you favorite photos (one must be your dog!) and have then enlarged, matted and framed. Get a poster or some prints framed and then find a funky mirror. Arrange them on the wall for a pleasing focal point.

For ideas see: Hilltop Delight, Tips for Entertaining in a Small Space, tbg design and Wall Display.
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 10:00AM
judianna20

Get more mirrors, and you can find some that are very reasonable in price. Just don't superglue them to the wall :>) and you can take them with you when you move.
3 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 10:14AM
decoenthusiaste
Would fill the wall with round mirrors and call it "Done!"
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 10:21AM
mpoulsom
Looking for ideas right now....haven't found anything yet, but just thought of one thing you could do for christmas....Put a giant wreath around it and attach some of those battery operated lights to it. :)
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 10:23AM
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Adding more round mirrors was my initial thought, too; or you could flank the existing mirror with 2 large candle sconces. When lit at night, it would create a glam ambiance.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 10:34AM
mpoulsom
Okay, this might sound weird, but it's a thought...
What if you put a long floating shelf underneath the mirror extending to the left and maybe slightly to the right as well. Then add a couple more floating shelves on the left hand side above the long bottom one. You could put something tall on the right side of the mirror on the shelf or a large picture leaning against the wall there. Then put other items on your shelves to the left.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 10:35AM
Samwise
Wow, thanks for all of the great ideas, everyone!

Eztia- I never thought about hanging something over it to cover it up! I like that idea, however unfortunately purchasing a piece of art that size is out of my budget right now :(

lesliemahler- I like the idea of adding some sort of frame around the mirror.... I'm not so much of a driftwood person but maybe I could think of something similar and more sparkly!

houssaon- Good thinking with making it a part of a gallery wall, I was thinking something along those lines too.

judyg, decoenthusiaste & paintcolorhelp.com- I do like the idea of adding more mirrors, they're just so dang expensive :( (maybe I should have added that I'm on a tight recently-graduated-from-college budget!) I don't like the idea of more circles though... no more circles! Guess they're just not my thing... lots of circle mirrors remind me of some sort of under the sea theme with bubbles lol

mpoulsom- Thanks for the suggestion! I think this is probably what I'll end up doing. Ikea sells super cheap shelves so I think I'll get a few of those and arrange them like you said. Maybe I'll even paint them a bright color. I have just the tall piece of art to put on the right side too! We have a big Indiana Jones (That's who my dog is named after, her name is Indy) movie poster that I think would look good leaning up against the wall on the shelf. Might even add some sconces in there like Paintcolorhelp suggested!

Thanks so much for the ideas, everyone! I plan on getting everything together during the week and putting it up over the weekend!

I'll post pictures when I do :)

Thanks again!
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 12:28PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
all good ideas, but what if you found a metal lacey sculpture (kinda hokie) and hang over it.....or many 3 circular flat type and added them
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:32PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
all good ideas, but what if you found a metal lacey sculpture (kinda hokie) and hang over it.....or many 3 circular flat type and added them
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:32PM
PRO
woman at work
Add some character to it by framing it with unique wood peices
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 12:59PM
janishill
Here's an easy solution that is basically free. Save toilet tissue and/or paper towel rolls. Ask your friends and family to collect them as well. Then make a 'frame' to go around the mirror. you can make it as large as you like and paint it whatever color makes you happy: http://tibblefork.blogspot.com/2011/06/toilet-paper-roll-wall-art.html
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 1:22PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
To Janishill's point....This can be any configuration you like around your mirror. I saved this photo because I thought it was so artsy and clever.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 8:35PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good research
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 8:48PM
lefty47
HI -- I like the idea of adding more round mirrors but if it was me I would just hang the biggest stretched canvas painting over it . OR a big asian style screen that has several panels to cover .
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 8:48PM
scottcherislattery
Target: packages of small circle mirrors. Place "randomly" to left and right of large mirror. Also, they have peel and stick decals in circles for a fun look.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 8:50PM