powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
1930's kitchen facelift - color help desperately needed.
extrahorizons
December 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We're (DD and I) having a really hard time picking the "right" colors for this kitchen. This is going to be her house while attending college. We purchased new appliances, a Frigidaire stainless package.

We want to use a bluish gray on the bottom cabinets, some variance of white or cream on the uppers and a very light blue/gray on the actual wall.

We have a sample of the Sherwin Williams Meditative SW 6227 that is really pretty for the lower cabinets.

Our dilemma is what other colors to pair with this. We've found we prefer a warmer white, and aren't fans of the White Dove. (It's really WHITE!) We just like warmer colors. The problem is that Meditative is really a cool color- should we start over on this color?

Here is what we would like:

Lower cabinets - darker bluish/greenish gray (open to suggestions!)
Upper cabinets - creamy white - colors ideas?
Beadboard - creamy white
Wall - Same color family as lower cabinets, but MUCH lighter. Maybe 50% white added?
Crown Moulding - Creamy white

Ironing board cabinet in the right of the picture - Dark paint or white? (can't decide!)

PS: I've always wanted to try the styrofoam crown moulding, so this is a good place to try it out! If I like it I might add it to my house too :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
extrahorizons
I forgot to add- we're putting in cherry butcher block for the countertop. Isn't the pink pretty though? :)
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 1:30PM
mpoulsom
I love your color choices. Sounds to me like you know what you are doing. Go with it! I would keep the ironing board cabinet in the warm white as upper cabinets!
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 2:09PM
Andrea Garrett
If I were you, I'd go with the color scheme of a peacock heather (it has that pink too) ...but let me know what you come up with. I'm stuck with "country rose" ceramic tile countertops and I was thinking of going that direction. You could incorporate some jewel tones for "pop" and a bit of art deco to compliment the decade.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 2:26PM
decoenthusiaste
Your countertops look like Formica to me, although you call them butcherblock. "Instant Granite" might help you change that pink if you don't care for it. Check out rustoleumtransformations.com too.
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 3:13PM
extrahorizons
Oh- the pink countertops? Haha... Yes, they are horrible Formica and are getting switched out for Butcherblock :) We close on the house next week. They have horrible burn gouges, so I decided to replace rather than cover them up. Thanks for the suggestion though!
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 3:16PM
Rio Brewster
The Meditative is actually a warm blue so I think you are OK. You can do an ivory or oyster white and as long as it doesn't skew too yellow you will be in good shape.

Actually a butter yellow would be really nice as an accent.

Where is the beadboard?
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 3:28PM
bethanyd
I would use that color for the top cabinets, and a couple of shades darker for the bottom cabinets. Leave the beadboard and door white. I think a cherry butcher block will compliment the floors nicely and warm up the cool colors. I used sherwin Williams' sea salt on my walls and I love it so much. That's sweet that you are setting up your daughter with a house for college. I think she will learn some important life lessons from that.
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 3:29PM
bethanyd
Or that color on the bottom, and a couple shades lighter on the top, like you said. You got this. ;)
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 3:29PM
Lori Barber
I like where you're going with your color idea's. The butcher block countertop should tie in nicely with the natural wood flooring and compliment the stainless appliances.

I used "pot o cream" from Behr for my wood work and was very happy with it (is the creamy white similar?) I'd get samples of the paints ahead of time and try them out before deciding.

will the butcher block countertop have a backsplash?

Are you going to paint the scallop over the sink to match the upper cabinets? - it is a cute feature. Is this where the beadboard is? I can't tell from the photo.

Have you thought about replacing just a few of the upper cabinet doors with some that have glass inserts - I think it would brighten it up and give it a bit of bling.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 3:44PM
Rio Brewster
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/coastal is a nice palette.

There's a SW 6385 Dover White - not sure if it's the same as white dove. There's also 7119 Venetian White. Topsail or Lauren's Surprise for the walls.

I'd go with the white for the tall cabinets also.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 3:46PM
mpoulsom
A combination of colors that I like with your blue that you picked out is Butter Yellow, Your Blues, and a Darker or Navy Blue together. You could get a fabric roman shade made from those colors in a print and then add the darker blue and yellows in spots!
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 3:58PM
houssaon
I like your choice of SW Meditative for the lower cabinets and a perfect warm white to pair with it is SW7008 Alabaster. The color would look good especially with the butcher block counter tops.

But I would not do Meditative on the wall unless you go all white for the cabinets. See: Joni Spear Interior Design.

Rather I suggest a very light grey like SW7029 Agreeable Gray by Sherwin-Williams See: University.

What a lucky DD!
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 4:15PM
extrahorizons
Thank you SO MUCH for the suggestions. We were starting to doubt our decisions. Yellow is actually going to be our accent color throughout the whole house. Both my DD and I LOVE yellow. I went antiquing this weekend and got some of the neatest yellow vases and creamer/sugar bowls. I will definitely look up the white colors suggested.

The beadboard is the same place as the butcher block, crown moulding, new sink and new faucet - my garage! I'm trying to get everything ready, as we close on the house Dec 14 and my brother should have a few weeks off work to help me install the counters, sink and faucet.

BACKSPLASH- Should I put the butcher block backsplash too? I hadn't planned on it, I was just going to put the beadboard against the butcherblock counter and add a piece of moulding between them if needed.

SCALLOP - Good question! I don't know WHAT color to paint the scallop. I'm wavering between the cabinet color to make it stand out, and the wall color.

I love the idea of glass or plexi glass in the cabinet doors too. We may remove the doors from the cabinet over the stove and use them as open shelving. We're also considering removing the lower shelf from the cabinet over the stove and installing an OTR microwave. The microwave will fit right in the cabinet, so if we cut out the bottom of the cabinet, we can install the microwave right in the opening.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 4:17PM
PRO
Robin Amorello, CKD CAPS - Atmoscaper Design
Hi, You have a lucky child, getting a house for their college years! That being said, you might want to rethink the wood counters, as they will definitely require attention to retain their beauty (Not a priority of most college students ; ) An engineered stone, such as Silestone, Zodiac or Cambria would be entirely maintenance free and still look beautiful when it's time to put it back in the market. Love your color choices by the way and I agree that keeping the ironing board door light is the better choice. Good Luck!
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 4:21PM
feeny
Not sure whether it would go with the yellow accents you like, but BM Sail Cloth is a nice ivory for cabinets and trim. We used it in our kitchen and have been very happy with it. But it is definitely an ivory, not a white. Here's a room with Sail Cloth on the walls and the trim in a pure white, just so you can see how creamy it is. The second picture is of our kitchen with Sail Cloth on the cabinets:
Dining room, watch hill
Our kitchen renovation
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 4:27PM
houssaon
No to the idea of Butcher block on the backsplash. Keep the era of the home in mind and do a simple subway tile or beadboard.

Really I think you had it together in the begining. I like doing the Meditative on the the lower cabinets, butcher block on the countertops, either subway tile or beadboard on the blacksplash, light gray (my choice) on the walls and white on the upper cabinets and all of the trim, including the scallop.

Beadboard for the backsplash:
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 4:27PM
extrahorizons
Well, everyone has made me feel a lot better! Thanks!!

I know it's going to be a huge job sanding down and repainting these cabinets. They have many layers of paint on them which was sloppily applied. I want this to be neutral enough to appeal to a broad audience when we sell it in 5 or 6 years.

I have really considered the butcher block vs. other hard surfaces. The appeal is the cost. I can buy BB for 400.00 which is about the same as a laminate. I'm going to oil the heck out of them, and whenever I visit oil them again! I decided on oil since you can sand out imperfections and re-oil them again.

I'll post the after when we have it finished. You're going to love the nook with the original bench/table too. I was standing on them when I took the pictures. :)
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 4:59PM
Brian Gingras
If it were my house I would be inclined to gut this kitchen and replace it with a fairly high end ready made cabinet from home depot or Ikea make it look custom with marble or granite counter tops I would also blow out what ever walls that you can to open up the living space for instance into the living and dining room this would modernize the space and add at least 40 to 80 thousand to the resale value of this little house. It would also help you offset the cost of owning this property while the DD is at school. It would cost about 15 to 20 grand to do this modification to the house and give better return on your investment buck. You will walk away from this with money in your pocket instead of a big hole in the pocket book at the end.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 6:37PM
Heidi Farrell
It sounds like you know what you are doing. Add warmth through the artwork and other kitchen stuff. That is the great thing about kitchens. You can add/change the artwork and canisters and towels to create a different or updated look. Also add greenery, like herbs to create your look.
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 6:54PM
bethanyd
I paint a lot of furniture and also work in a furniture store that sells lots of painted furniture, and from that I have a tip. Before you paint and prime use a coat of shellac or poly acrylic. Then another coat over the paint. I love poly acrylic. It makes the paint wipe able, and will keep light colors from yellowing over time. Sunlight is the main culprit. A little extra work, but it will be worth it. Rent or borrow a paint sprayer. ;)
2 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 5:32AM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
DD is a very lucky girl to have a house like that for college!!!
Although pixels and pigments don't translate perfectly, by the looks of "Meditative", I'm concerned you're going to get a shock once it's on the lower cabinetry! Colours intensify by 2X from a small paint chip onto an actual surface.
I would recommend Smoked Oyster CL 3143W for the lower cabinets. (Looks pretty grey on the sample, but will be more of a classy "greenblue" on a larger surface! For the your remaining cabinetry I would recommend Lace Falls CLW 1046W. Cloud Nine CL 3141W which is to chips above Smoked Oyster on the colour fan for your walls would be a harmonious choice!
Good luck and have fun!
2 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 5:36AM
PRO
*two chips above
:)
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 5:42AM
extrahorizons
Thanks What's Inside Design and bethany for the tips! I bought a sample of meditative and you are right. It's at least 2 shades darker. Im painting a poster board to see how it will look. Where do you buy the CL paints? Is it Color Life? I will probably splurge and get really good paint for the cabinets since they take more abuse.

I had never heard of spraying a poly on before the paint, so thanks for the tip!
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:41AM
PRO
Karen Viscito Interiors
I used a color that is very close to BM's Hearthstone, 1601 for this island. The perimeter cabinets are a very light shade of gray, but they read as white. Photo is not doing the color proper justice, it seems to photograph even bluer.

Benjamin Moore's Satin Impervo is what I have used to paint cabinets in the past, it gives an excellent finish and they are very durable.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 8:47AM
Anna Asiala
I agree with What's Inside Design Ltd., the color will look much more intense once it's painted on. Unless you like a more vibrant color, I would suggest going with a grey with blue undertones. If you're looking for a Sherwin Williams color, Mineral Deposit is very nice. I painted my master bedroom in that color, and it's beautiful and sophisticated. (Also, if you're unsure of a color, Sherwin Williams offers $5 sample quarts. For minimal cost, you can get a much better idea of how the color will look. And that quart goes a LONG way!)

I think the beadboard would look lovely, but have you considered other options? You could do a really lovely mosaic tile that brings out the colors of the room. Perhaps one with some grey-blue specks/veining (the cabinets) and/ or brownish specks/veining (the floors/ counters)? Tile would help to vary the textures and finishes in the room. My only concern with beadboard is its durability in the kitchen. You can find some nice affordable tile at Home Depot or Lowes, or many tile stores often have discount tile for VERY good prices!

I also think that you could do a straight grey on the walls (so it doesn't feel like TOO much blue). Sherwin Williams Zircon or Knitting Needles are both beautiful greys. I have two rooms in my house painted those colors and they look gorgeous! (Zircon is lighter and a little cooler, so it probably would look better in your kitchen) Also, all of the colors I have suggested are cooler colors, and we have an off-white trim all throughout the house, so I think you could definitely do a warmer white/ off-white! It will keep the space from feeling too cool. (The butcher block counters and the dark wood floors will help with that too!)

My last suggestion is to paint the upper cabinets, the wall above, and the crown moulding/ trim the same color, and in addition to the crown moulding, some small decorative trim either a few inches above the top of the upper cabinets, or a few inches below the crown moulding (do this only on the part of the walls above the cabinet). This will make the room appear taller, and give the illusion that the upper cabinets are taller than they actually are! The additional trim wouldn't cost much extra, but it would give more impact! Good Luck!!!
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 10:21AM
extrahorizons
Thanks so much to everyone for all the awesome suggestions. I'm really getting excited about this project. I've never had a "play" house before
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 10:33AM
PRO
Rose Construction, Inc.
Don't know what they were thinking years ago, with all the pink bathrooms and now I see your pink countertop. I like the kitchen, but I would definitely change countertops - white with dark streaks in solid surface material would be nice. Calacatta Cloud by Stone City would look awesome. This material is a marble, but there are similar "patterns" in man-made solid surface countertops.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 11:10AM
PRO
My apologies! I grabbed my CL colour deck instead of my SW colour deck! (I answered your question at 6am before my coffee) ;)
They are still beautiful colours....
you can always check them out and have them colour matched if you like them!
Good luck with the rest of your project!
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 11:37AM
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I really like your choices. You've done a great job. I'm attaching a photo of my kitchen "update"' new appliances and older painted cabinets.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 3:14PM
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I really like your choices. You've done a great job. I'm attaching a photo of my kitchen "update"' new appliances and older painted cabinets. Chrysteen, Aegean Designing Whims
2 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 3:15PM
bdennison
Good Mom! My son bought a fixer upper and we re-did his kitchen together. Good bonding experience. Not so much fighting like redecorating with a husband..lol. I hope you and DD have a great time with the new place . I love your color choices and can't wait to see the "afters"
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 3:27PM
nevadan
Number one, that's not a 1930's kitchen. It's a 1950's kittchen. Just thought you might want to know.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 5:18PM
feeny
I suspect that the shaker pantry cabinets in the second picture around the fridge are original to the house (c. 1930) and that all the flat panel cabinets in the main section of the kitchen around the sink are, as nevadan notes, from the 1950's. We had a similar mishmash in our kitchen before we renovated it, with 3 or 4 of the wood cupboards in the shaker style and original to our late 1920's house, and the rest in 1940's or 50's flat panel (though in our case the flat panel cabinets were metal). But your kitchen blends the two styles together much better than ours did!
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 5:26PM
extrahorizons
Hmm, interesting. I did wonder why the doors were flat paneled on some, and shaker style on the others. I even thought of possibly adding shaker trim to the flat panels, but they are rounded on the edges and it wouldn't look right. Now I'm wondering if the bench and table in the nook is from the 50s as well. The top of the table has some sort of formica, so maybe it isn't from the 30s either. I'm glad they aren't metal though!
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:41PM
extrahorizons
Chrysteen, I LOVE the rugs in your kitchen. Those are so neat. Where did you buy those? Or were they custom?
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:56PM
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
You can get them from Ballard Designs. They're called La Poem, or if you can't get them through them, we can probably order them for you. Let me know. Chrysteen
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 8:30PM
kathleen MK
Definitely get sample paints and test large sample cards over a couple days to see how the changing light affects the color. I got that paintable beadboard wallpaper to test samples when we painted our kitchen. In a small space I'd keep all the cabinets the same light color(creamy white or pale gray) and fairly neutral if you plan on reselling soon. The walls and beadboard could carry more color which would be easier to change along with the accent pieces like your yellow pottery. Test your colors against those pieces you love and the counter tops.
If the current plain white finish is in good shape, could a glaze be the easier way to add color ?
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 10:13PM
PRO
Nancy Auman
We just painted our kitchen Sherwin Williams Halcyon Green SW6213. It is a gorgeous color and very warm looking. After several paint swatches on the wall, this one was the best color. It is blue with a very warm tone to it. I would keep the wall and base cabinets the same color because the room is not very big. Keep it light also. I would do the trim a bright white so your colors will pop.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 3:25AM
extrahorizons
I want to thank EVERYONE for your awesome suggestions. We decided to go with a gray on the walls as recommended. My daughter picked out the fun fabric for the benches, and we're currently sanding down the cabinets. Wow- They. Are. Nasty.

Notes from me: If you decide to paint cabinets, remove the hardware first! :) I had to cook all of the hardware in the crockpot overnight and then scrape the paint off. It took my husband hours to remove the doors since he had to scrape the paint off first. This did allow me to steel wool the cabinet pulls and get off the bit of rust that were on some of them, they turned out really nice.

And- if your kids spill food on the cabinet doors, wipe it off. Gross.

And- don't use FLAT paint on cabinets. What in the world were the POs thinking?

All of the paints we chose are the Martha Stewart colors... See below!
2 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 7:42AM
mairie
Would love to see the 'after' photos. What fun colors!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 7:56AM
Sandra Kerouac
my bedroom I bought gray and light light yellow accesorys what color should I paint the walls?
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:42PM
Sandra Kerouac
my bedroom set is Brown antique and wood floors Brown moca
0 Likes   March 18, 2013 at 3:44PM
Rio Brewster
Sandra - why don't you start an new design dilemma thread for this? And post photos.
0 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 10:59AM
PRO
Rustica Hardware
I attached some different woods used in butcher block counter tops so you can see the colors. Good luck!
0 Likes   March 20, 2013 at 2:20PM