Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is this artwork to big for the piece of furniture it is above
sdnasol
December 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Please give advice on how to complete the room. Should the rug stay or would solid be better? Chandelier ideas, table decor etc. Would appreciate any advice. I am adding to new high back upholstered chairs with silver nailhead trim to try and get away from all the dark wood.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ramona
Yes but the console is too small for the room too. So change the console and leave the painting if you like it.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 5:17PM
stylingstar
Or see if the painting looks good turned around...
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 5:22PM
aussiephil
or if it doesn't cause seating issues try moving the piece of furniture to the middle of the painting and giving us a look then?
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 5:33PM
lefty47
HI -- Yes, the art is too big or the console/buffet is too small . Do you have extra dining chairs then you could place one on each side of the console/buffet and see if that balances out the Art .
3 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 6:40PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I never like to have something over a piece of furniture that is bigger than the piece of furniture. I like the rug with the painting. Perhaps the chest can move to the opposite wall. For your chandelier, I like the ones below, but there are many others that would work for you because you have an eclectic mix. Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Trump Home Tribeca 6-Light Transitional Chandelier - ELK-1625-6 TT Linear Branched 10-Light Chandelier With Dual Linear Shade 24" Candelaria Chandelier
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 6:41PM
PRO
Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
Artwork over a piece of furniture should be proportionate to the furniture. Right now, the furniture is too small. Maybe you can group the buffet and another piece of furniture together under the artwork for better proportions. The artwork does fill the wall it is on very nicely so I would be reluctant to take it down. Rather, add something else to increase the width of the furniture.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 7:36PM
decoenthusiaste
I think the rule of thumb is that artwork should be about 75% of the furniture width. Is there another wall for the buttet? Try a floating shelf that is longer than the art.

0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 8:08PM
lefty47
HI -- Another thought -- the buffet / console looks like a recent style - can you get another exact same piece and have them side by side ? The style looks nice and straight on the sides so another would fit snug together , then that would look great having a nice long console and you could probably use all the extra storage , right ? To make the top of the consoles even more seamless it could be topped with a piece of glass or mirror .
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 10:09AM
PRO
karen paul interiors

Yes it is too large, however, you can do an oversized chandelier to offset the too-large piece of art AND you can offset your accessories on your buffet. The real key in this photo is that we have three pieces and they are taller. Study the photo to see why this works and with that you will have good information.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 11:01AM
Aggie Purvinska
Turn the the rug and table 90 degrees, put the console on the other pony wall, don;t put anything under the painting:)
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 11:07AM
sdnasol
Thank you all for your great advice, for right now the easiest solution was to put the two dining room chairs to the side of the console to fill the void. It does look better, just wish the tops of the chairs were strait. I will seek out a floating shelf, or just remove the piece of furniture al together. I had it on the pony wall but it was a bit taller so you coud see it from the lower elevation. Carolyn I loved the light fixtures but they are out of my price range.I will keep searching. I attached other pics showing the ceiling fan that is coming down. In order to use the electrical from fan the table will have to be moved over and will encroach the entry even more. Is that awkward to be met with a dining chair upon passing through the entry?
4 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 8:46AM
mainstreetschool
Move the chairs a couple inches from the console. The hump on top of the chairs mimics the art, looks good! What did you do with the mirror standing against the pony wall? I love the blue and white with dark wood. Very rich. The new selection of upholstered chairs will enhance the richness. You will have the pottery barn look I am going for. You can swag the new ceiling fixture to be centered over the table.
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 9:01AM
sdnasol
Thank you mainstreet. The mirror has not found a place in the home yet, do you have an idea?
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 9:04AM
mainstreetschool
Oh yeah, keep the leather chairs to go with the lighter ones when you get them.
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 9:06AM
mainstreetschool
Show us some other rooms for options to put the mirror. what is on the wall opposite the art and console?
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 9:08AM
mainstreetschool
Also, I think the ceiling beams in a dark stain would tie in with your style. A little Mediterranean with the table and leather chairs. You could find a metal light fixture to hang over the table. Look at resales shops, box stores. You don't have to use designer products to get the look you want. The fun is in the hunt and putting it together. Throw a little blue and white ware (blue willow) in the accessories. And voila' you are ready to have a dinner party!
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 9:21AM
mainstreetschool
Here is my dining room in our family retreat home.
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 9:28AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
I like Carolyn's TT Linear chandelier. Also, agree with moving chairs away from the chest. In fact I would have the chairs begin just outside the edges of your painting.
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 10:01AM
sdnasol
I found some affordable chandeliers, could I have some insight please. The one with shades is 31" and the other is 25"
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 3:00PM
sdnasol
Here is the room for a side by side, not sure the size of the orbital one, if anyone knows where I found the image I would love to find it again.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 3:03PM
sdnasol
Im beginning to think there is to much going on, or maybe Ive just been to consumed with getting it right.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 3:04PM
Ramona
I like the top left hand one although I am not sure about the size in relation to everything else. I think you will get it right. I do not think the room is too busy. It is on the understated side which I like.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 1:43PM
sdnasol
Thank you Ramona, still looking....
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 3:44PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Subtract 12" from the width of your table to determine the width of your chandelier. So if your table is 45" wide and you subtract the 12", you would want your chandelier to be 30" in diameter. Also, when hanging your chandelier, if your ceiling is at 8', then you would want the bottom edge of your chandelier to be between 30-36" off the table. For every additional foot of ceiling over 8', you will want to add 3". So if you ceiling is at 9', you will hang your light anywhere between 33-39" from your table top.
1 Like   December 9, 2012 at 3:48PM
phyllis52
lose the branches and it will be way better.
0 Likes   July 25, 2013 at 5:24AM
magmile
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the art work and who is the artist? I love it!
0 Likes   July 27, 2013 at 8:06AM
kristylou
love the rug!
0 Likes   July 28, 2013 at 6:24PM
PRO
John McLean, Architect
If the artwork is important to you, I would encourage you to make it the star of the room, the thing that people notice immediately upon entering the room, the thing that sets the character for the room. It should be lit properly with light fixtures that are as discreet as possible. Further, in my view, you should give adequate space from the furniture below the artwork to its bottom, and nothing should be placed on that furniture.

Along that same line of thinking, a chandelier would be a big distraction for the artwork, to my eye. If you want a chandelier in that size room, let it be the star of the room, and pick one you think can play that role, and consider something else on the wall that is not bisected visually by the chandelier. Chandeliers that grab one's focus seem to work best in rooms large enough to let them be the (or one of very few) focal point (s) in the space.
0 Likes   July 28, 2013 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
stairs
Although the staircase looks good I still look at...
Alma Tubens
Big Blank Wall
We are trying to update our cottage because we live...
lakegirl651
Something is missing. Help!
i need help living room look too plain. everything...
Daniel Montel
Two Story Fireplace and Built-In Bookshelves
While I have tried to like our great room in our newly-constructed...
theoffice0
Living room arrangement
I have a living/family room with a window or door on...
84stitches
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.