Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Coffee table
mwasykenko
December 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I just finished this room and am not sure how I feel about the coffee table. Anyone have ideas? I wondered about using 2 orange ottomans in place of it. Maybe it just needs something on it?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
albelo
I would get a round glass metal coffee table. This room is to square you need to break that.
December 4, 2012 at 9:00pm     
designmuse
Beautiful room. Love the accents in orange especially the tufted ottoman. Great job! I would try some accessories first on the existing table and see if that changes your mind. If not, I like the idea of a round table. You could do glass or a metallic might be nice too.
December 4, 2012 at 9:57pm     
charleee
The round table you have to the side of the sofa, if you could get another one I'd rather see them in front of the sofa instead of the coffee table you currently have. Perhaps put the upholstered ottoman to the side of the sofa.

Suggestion - put an uplight behind the tall branches you have in the corner, it will look great to have that corner lit and highlighted!
December 5, 2012 at 3:17am   
mwasykenko
Thank you everyone! Greatly appreciated! I found a round glass one from the store I got the coffee table from. I was totally thinking the same thing. Love the idea of the tall lamp behind the sticks!
December 5, 2012 at 6:39am     
tennisanyone
Try the tall lamp next to the couch. I feel like with it in the corner behind the chair, that I am getting my hair done under the lamps. Move the small table next to the couch by the chair and get two ottomans across from the couch or to the right of the couch. Love your colors.
December 5, 2012 at 6:54am   
saraflarflar
It's a really wonderful room! But it is very square. Maybe a black oval table would be better for the room. :)
December 5, 2012 at 7:54am   
mwasykenko
What about this, everyone?
December 5, 2012 at 8:22am   
mwasykenko
This is also an option. But I feel it's quite heavy and large for the room. ?
December 5, 2012 at 8:24am   
queenofspades1959
Love your colors you did a great job. Good ideal the ottman you have already with a tray on it. If you can buy another one and beable to bring it back if its to much go for it. I love it where did you find it?
The sticks in the corner gets some of the sticks with lights on them to stick in there with them
Im a big fan of layering lights. the stand up light next to the chair move it over by the couch and a tall skinny light on the sofa table you have and maybe a tall reading light next to the chair.
December 5, 2012 at 8:56am   
charleee
Actually, for the sticks in the corner I meant an uplight. It sits on the floor and shines upward. Like these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100671579/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=uplight&storeId=10051
December 5, 2012 at 9:10am   
groveraxle
I like the coffee table. I think it is exactly right. There are plenty of other organic pieces in the room, including the rug on which it sits. I especially like the art and the way the white sculpture echoes the white of the floor lamp amidst all the earthiness. I think the whole room is quite spectacular and wouldn't change a thing.
December 5, 2012 at 9:18am     
tennisanyone
The room is furniture heavy (lamp, sticks, picture,table) on that side. What is on the opposite wall and opposite the couch, I assume the TV.
December 5, 2012 at 9:37am   
designmuse

I think this table with some fun accessories on top would look great.
December 5, 2012 at 9:38am   
Christine
I think if you can get 2 more of those drum tables next to the sofa you can have glass tops cut for them and line them up in front of the sofa. They won't do much by way of storage though. but they have an interesting shape. Or I would go with a slimmer lined coffee table. But keep in mind the side table under the painting has block legs so you want to make sure it all works with not too much clashing of leg stylesThe rug is nice but you need to max out the size of it. Also find new sofa cushions. The ones there drag down the room because they look too much like the sofa fabric. I also think you need to stage tiered heights on that table under the painting. Candelabras, or a taller lamp. A stack of books and that little white Buddha would give you a step up effect so the painting does not look so looming over the room. to the left of the painting try to put up a smaller off centered grouping of either paintings or photos not of the same style as the painting just to break it all up a bit. You have really done a nice job, just a few tweaks and you are there.
December 5, 2012 at 10:06am   
tennisanyone
Put books under the Budda like Christine suggested and a lamp on the console table. I'm not loving that hanging lamp by the chair. I would like to see it next to the couch. Is the picture and console centered on the wall? I would leave the left of the painting with nothing yet until you get that side of the room figured out. What does the other side look like?
December 5, 2012 at 12:01pm   
mwasykenko
Ok I Got the clue on the lamp! I moved it into the corner by the couch where the sticks were, sticks moved behind the chair. MUCH BETTER. Bought a round glass table and it looks very clean. For those wondering about the left wall, it's a floating fireplace. Thanks so much everyone!
December 5, 2012 at 3:31pm   
mwasykenko
New and improved?
December 5, 2012 at 5:59pm     
tennisanyone
Try the lamp on the other side of the couch. That side looks heavy with all the furniture. Can you move the brown chair where the ottoman is facing into the room? I hate to say it, but I liked the other coffee table better for the space. That table looks too small. Take that red vase with flowers away by the chair. Something doesn't look right. I think if you bought a lamp for the console table and moved it center to the wall that would be enough and moved that other lamp to the other side. It might work. Add a magazine rack next to the chair. I would get another ottoman and then face them across from the console. What is on that side of the room.
December 5, 2012 at 6:17pm   
ksundar
I think your room is beautiful. If you used two orange ottomans it would visually dominate the space, and would cover most of your rug. I think perhaps what is bothering you is the scale of the rug. It needs to be a bit larger. You can get a larger monotone rug to put underneath this one so it creates a border, and gives you a visually larger rug.
December 5, 2012 at 6:52pm     
ksundar
I think the size of the new coffee table is too small for the space, and matches to much with the console table. Looks more interesting if you mix and match furniture than have matching pieces from a collection. Extend the rug as I suggested, then find the coffee table.
December 5, 2012 at 7:07pm   
queenofspades1959
Looks good with the lamp and sticks moved
December 5, 2012 at 8:00pm   
PRO
Touch of Distinction Flooring & Decor Inc.
Your space is very nice...well done! Where did you get the lamp? Thanks!
December 5, 2012 at 8:11pm   
mwasykenko
Thanks! Urban barn for the lamp!
December 5, 2012 at 8:13pm   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
HI mwasykenko, Marie here.

The coffee table doesn't look right because your AREA RUG is too small.
Rule of thumb is the area rug should sit underneath all the furniture in that room. Yours does
not - it looks like its floating in the middle of the room.

Change out your area rug, then see if you still don't like your coffee table.

PS: love the tufted cube - such a fun burst of colour...add some red and gray drapery panels to that
window behind the sofa and your designing like a pro.

Good luck
December 5, 2012 at 9:41pm     
xtalivy
I personally like the idea of having 2 orange tufted ottomans as your coffee table. Then set a tray on top. Two ottomans together would make a unit. You've been given some good ideas. I love the painting. Perfect in your color palette. But, I really, REALLY, did like the tall to the side of your first picture. I'd just add a light on the floor to shine up from behind it silhouetting it - dramatic lighting. One good thing about it, you can move everything around as many times as you like.
December 5, 2012 at 10:15pm   
victorianbungalowranch
How about switching out the side table and the coffee table? Then I would move that multicolored bundle of sticks behind the couch out to where you can see it, and place the (shell?) off center on the table, maybe on top of a little stack of magazines or whatever reading material you have there handy. I would place the table off center to the left to balance it.

I like the arrangement on top of the fireplace BTW. That is an awkward space, and it looks nice. Maybe a bit of that chartreuse would look nice instead of one of the beige pillows on the couch, maybe in a contrasting texture.
December 5, 2012 at 10:30pm   
khinchey
May I ask where you got your couch? Is it a chocolate color?
December 7, 2012 at 5:02am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I like the round table you selected, works much better with the space. The orange ottoman is great, but it's too large to use as a coffee table, and adding 2 would be way too much. I like where it is, off to the side for extra seating.
December 7, 2012 at 5:08am     
mariamaly1999
It is amazing! Giving to the thought that you just finished remodeling/modeling this room, an orange piece of artwork or just a selection of cloth will make a difference.
December 7, 2012 at 5:22am     
mwasykenko
The couch is from urban barn, called the pierce and is a dark chocolate with some cube like structure to it.
December 7, 2012 at 5:44am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.