Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help urgently!!!
jillef
December 4, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I originally wanted a set of 4 shelves here making 5 spaces. 2 small on top and two larger on bottom. I thought it would highlight the architectural form here and draw the eye up. When I returned I found this and thought oh no! But looking again I mused on its shape and thought it does something different. Do I rip it out and start again. Or stick with this. The second shelf is slightly unaligned.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
Yes the one shelf is not aligned. What are you putting there? What is the height of the contents. Can you further divide the bottom section? Is this going to be painted white?
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 9:10PM
jillef
Yes it will be painted white. I am not sure what I will put here certainly an arrangements of sculpture and books and maybe cacti or some prints. The original plan was four shelves creating five spaces. The top 2 aligned with the Wall feature. And it would be surrounded by board on 2 sides and ceiling.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 9:20PM
jillef
Full view here
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 9:21PM
downsouth
I like it, but would paint white. Looks interesting to me.
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 9:21PM
houssaon
How about this. Make a box for a feature, add another shelf on the one side divide the remainder of lower shelf in half and boxing in the area over the top shelf.
2 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 9:44PM
Natalie
Hi-looks interesting and once aligned should look fine. Pretty wall color... :)
1 Like   December 4, 2012 at 9:51PM
jillef
Thanks for the photo shopping and comments. Awesome people here! But I can't align the boards now only add an extra board to make it double thick. So it's a question of leaving it/ making it double thick or ripping it out and starting again making a full wall of four shelves and counter top? The order for materials are going in so I need to make a quick decision any other suggestions?
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 5:17AM
Natalie
Well if you have to double up on the boards you may just want to rip it out and start from scratch. Look up Asymmetrical shelves and see if there's anything which speaks to you. I do like the concept, just needs some tweaking. Keep at it and Good Luck! Pics for inspiration---like the lights...
[houzz=Waikiki Chic][houzz=Los Altos California]
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 7:00AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
I like Houssaon's suggestion of adding another shelf above to give it a more complete look, and to paint it white.

It's a good idea, but I think it could be executed better.

Good luck!
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 7:22AM
Aggie Purvinska
Paint them the wall color to blend in. That's my signature solution, lol.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 7:29AM
jillef
Thanks, I going to stick with the original idea and start anew. I can't be there all t
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 3:55PM
decoenthusiaste
Lemons into lemonade is always an option.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 4:50PM
nasmijati
I would take them out and start over. Getting 90 degree angles on corners after the shelves are already installed seems impossible to me.
Perhaps you could have the shelves assembled off site and inspect them before installation. I would make sure I was present at the time the shelves were installed, even if I had to pay overtime for them to be installed after my workday schedule or on a weekend.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 7:13PM
calikym
If they are just for looks and fun stuff, I like them as is but painted. I would definitely NOT put a shelf/ close up the top. No way. I would up light instead and leave it more like a floating cabinet. If you want to close them up, use a frosty glass and light the interiors . Those are my thoughts for improvement . I like your shelves but it definitely depends on what they are for. Signed, just an ordinary homeowner
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 7:50PM
jillef
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to shove the expense and go for full shelves as I will be renting. Cut costs by using mdf sadly alot of messes happen coz I can't be there and have no van to buy materials myself. My wardrobe doors turned out messed up as had a circular route instead of straight lines so they're new but dated. I can't afford it but I'll definitely put up a few eccentric ideas on how to hide it and will look forward to the feedback from that! Thanks
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 5:21PM