Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window exterior color & design
Modern English Tudor
December 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am almost ready to order replacement windows for this house and can't decide which color for the exterior. We are kind of debating between bronze and cashmere. I like bronze because it looks similar to the existing color and at the same time I like cashmere because it would add some elegance and warm feeling to the stone house.

As for the two large windows, would you put a bay window type(two narrow windows on both sides and one large picture window in the middle) or just simply put three same width windows in a row.

I would appreciate any of your opinions. Thanks!

P.S) Actually the bronze looks a little darker and greysh in person.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
I guess what it comes down to is do you want the windows to contrast (bronze) or blend in (cashmere). My preference would be the bronze and a bay window. Bay windows are so beautiful! Maybe shutters on the upper window to the left?
December 5, 2012 at 2:31am     
PRO
Lisa Davenport Designs
Agreed, without question the bronze. The cashmere in my opinion will float visually.
Shutters are an excellent suggestion, or awnings for a little more interest
I'd also consider pulling back some of the shrubbery, and mixing up the textures and colorations of your plantings.....
December 5, 2012 at 3:20am     
Modern English Tudor
Thanks for your input!!!

Still can't make a decision on window design. Window sales persons suggest putting one large picture window in the middle and two side windows for the window on left side. And basically same style for the bay window. One big picture window in the middle and two sides....
BUT honestly I don't like their design choices. I want something similar to the existing style as the picture above. I need a good reason to convince them but I don't... ...

We are putting casement window.

Any suggestions for the window design, please!!!!!!!
December 8, 2012 at 4:11pm   
houssaon
Try to maintain the current window look as closely as possible. The bay should not be replaced with another type of bay window and the large window should not be replaced with a bay. Stick to your guns. The change of windows is going to greatly impact the look of the house. I'm glad you are getting casement windows.
December 8, 2012 at 4:20pm     
PRO
Shannon Kirby Interiors
I would stay with the darker bronze windows to match the trim and "ground" the windows in the stone. Shutters might be too cute for a stone house but the lovely canopy awning on the right window is terrific and I might repeat it on the left large window if sun is an issue. I do not think you need a bay either and like the style as it is.
December 8, 2012 at 4:38pm     
Modern English Tudor
Thanks! houssaon & Shannn
My instinct was right!!! I should have asked here before!!
I liked bronze color and I liked existing window design. But the sale persons seemed to really like cashmere and bay window type (one big picture window in the middle & two narrow ones on both sides) for the large two windows on the 1st floor and I thought that they are right just because they are window professionals. But something inside me was yelling. :) ** I hope to hear more from more experts here !!** Thanks
December 8, 2012 at 7:12pm     
victorianbungalowranch
If you don't sell the old windows for salvage, and for a good price, at least keep the leaded glass and make a custom table or china cabinet or install framed pieces inside the new windows. I'm sure you can find a craftsperson who would be happy to do something with it. Maybe the smaller casements windows with the metal frames and hinges could be made into a neat cabinet or armoire, especially the leaded pieces.

So sad that you are taking those georgous leaded glass windows out. Definately go with the bronze, esp. since you wish to keep it like the original.

Please do keep the copper hood for the bay and get something as close as possible to the original size and profile. If it is too pricey now to do that, save that project for another day rather than ruining your charming house.

Window salesmen are not always experts on architecture, and if the whole window ordering process is too much for you, it is worth hiring an architect or designer with sensitivity to historic building styles to help you out. The catalogue available to builders has every possible window combination imaginable, and they can do custom windows to your specs in any grill style, even for designs not offered in the catalogue. A big picture window in the middle is common, that's all, not preferable.

Marvin is perfectly capable of three equal sized windows in a row.They even has leading available as a special order for the glass, possibly even in a diamond pattern like the originals

There is a product from Decra Led from the UK that looks incredibly like the real thing, and is removable. Leaded windows are still very popular in the UK and this is used as a cheaper DIY option--some installations are 50 years old and still going strong. It is distributed in the US if you Google it. Can be pricey for a big window. http://www.decraled.co.uk/ http://stores.ebay.com/Stallings-Stained-Glass/Decra-Lead-/_i.html?_fsub=2592976012

The old windows are too beautiful to pitch. Even the plain metal casements windows will have a market, and even frames without glass have a market. Even cracked or broken ones--somebody will be thrilled to have them.
December 8, 2012 at 8:11pm     
Modern English Tudor
Dear victorianbungalowranch,

I am so glad you are back!!! The house has just begun remodeling. We started interior painting first, painting includes smoothing out walls as well. Some people like you wanted me to keep some original elements of the house like wall, darker trim color and windows. We keep the staircase, though. I like it now especially after trim and stair risers painted in white, which brighten up the hallway and make the staircase pop up. I know you did not like the idea painting the riser. :)

Deciding on replacing window was a pain. Letting the original windows are such a difficult decision for me. Those windows are so beautiful from outside but most of the hard wares are not working and broken. They are badly rotten, lost seals, and not operating at all. So we have ventilation, condensation and insulation problem.

Yes, Marvin offers great range of options like diamond grilles as you said. I wish they were affordably priced. I once asked a sales person about the price and I decided to forget what I heard. :) But I know they are so beautiful.

Thanks for the link, too. I wonder how come you are so knowledgeable...... I am tempted to ask you your email address. Can I?

It is not hard to see many old houses in this area. I am new here. It is so fun to see how old homes are updated and how their original characters conserved.

Don't worry about the old windows. I will try my best to keep them somewhere in my house. :)

Let me know if you want to exchange email address with me. :)
December 8, 2012 at 8:58pm   
lucindalane
It's too bad that someone couldn't figure out how to replace your windows with newer ones that aren't air holes for the house but incorporate the older ornamental parts on the outside just for the architectural and decorative value.
December 8, 2012 at 9:14pm   
victorianbungalowranch
I'm uncomfortable letting out my email on a public forum. Perhaps we can keep in touch here.:)

Glad you like how the interior is coming along. I wasn't against painting the risers, but a Tudor Revival is supposed to have dark woodwork. Painting part of it is OK, but I think painting it all is a shame. With the right colors, it looks great. White really does not look that good with dark woodwork--too contrasty. But painting it is a lot berrer than ripping it out. Perhaps you can post an update on the stairwell post of what it looks like now.

Sometimes it is hard to see the beauty hiding under the grime and wear of years.

Hope the window repalcement goes well, it can be a dirty job. The more I think about it, the more I think thet the leaded glass could be hung in the original window, at least the center part. That could look quite nice. Maybe the other pieces could go in the living room.

I have a few years under my belt and have been reading and researching this stuff off and on since I was a child. Wish I loved housework as much as I do researching old houses!
December 8, 2012 at 9:28pm     
Modern English Tudor
The whole house are now going through painting work. Upstairs are almost ready to get final coat on. Once hallway is done with new plaster and new paint coats, I would love to post before/after picture here.

You are giving me real hard time to let the old window go. :) My husband and I once seriously thought about restorating them, too. And thought about replacing windows facing only side and back of the house. But we decided to live in a little more modern world with more fresh air.

haha....I knew that you are an old home expert. It is funny that I never knew that I was going to live in this old house with my little kids. Living in a old home is not cheap. It requires more work, money, and time to get to know about it. At some point, living in a old home is not the healthiest choice. I am discovering new things everyday.
December 8, 2012 at 10:08pm   
sonjaxxx
Please, before you make the final decision, make sure there is nothing you can do, and no-one who can help you restore the old windows. Sometimes you can find older or retired contractors/craftsmen who know how to do this, have a stash of old components, and can do it lovingly and surprisingly cheaply. Look for them in the phone book because they often don't have a internet presence. Ask around other old home owners or at local historical societies/museums etc. The house (and posterity) will thank you!
December 8, 2012 at 11:46pm   
More Discussions
Need help with my kitchen
We had granite countertops installed and the contractor...
Need privacy screen for toilet
These are more pictures of a Master Bedroom/Bath in...
Replace cabinets or repaint?
Purchased a house that has a lot of weird colors throughout...
Window Treatment Suggestions
I wanted to install plantation shutters, but the tub...
Paint or stain Island
Should I go dark with a stain on the island or go light...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.