Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help picking a counter top edging
jaymo1
December 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I want to put Kashmire White granite under the cabibets for a counter top and a white quartz on the island. I want to have two different edges that are clean looking but not too modern. Can you offer suggestions for a mix?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
feeny
May I ask why you want to use two different countertops with such similar coloring? I would suggest either unifying the kitchen by using all one light countertop, or alternately creating a greater contrast by making one darker and one lighter, but in the same material (either quartz or granite, but not both). Or, if you truly want different materials on the counters, perhaps you could use materials that have more of a contrast--like granite counters and a butcher block island. I'm just not sure I'm seeing any aesthetic benefit in using two somewhat similar materials in somewhat similar colors. I'm also not sure what the rationale is for the two different edges. Maybe you can explain your vision more fully so we can understand what you are trying to achieve.
December 5, 2012 at 5:07am   
alwaysdesigning
I would vote for a totally different island countertop color and also material, otherwise I think it will look like an attempt at matching that went wrong. Your island cabinetry can stand out along with a different countertop and still look part of the kitchen. Since we don't have pics of cabinetry and flooring (important) it's hard to recommend anything. Your floor, countertops and backsplash need to be coordinated in tones. The island can be on it's own but somehow pull in an accent color from the rest of the kitchen. Good luck.
December 5, 2012 at 5:46am   
jaymo1
Ok, thanks so much for your input. The kitchen is new construction. The builder will suppy as one of the standard granites kashmere white. The quartz would be Caesar Stone in a white (can't remember the exact one).
The cabinets are by KitchenCraft Berkley design in millstone maple which is a pearlized painted white color. The subzero has cabinet fronts and there is a cabinet hood over the cooktop. Cabinets are going to ceiling.

The island is 180" long. I am putting my sink in the island and will have stools around it. I love the Caesar stone but I feel it will be too stark and sterile looking without the break in color. The floor will be dark mahogony oak.
Our furniture is old world tuscany style but we wanted a change with a bright, soft look. This is a townhouse and it is long and narrow.
I was thinking of an edge that is 1/4 bevel on an eased edge for the cabinet area and eased on the island with the quartz stone.

Please let me know some thoughts on this.
Thanks so much.
Jaymo1
December 5, 2012 at 6:03am   
feeny
Dear jaymo1,
I'm afraid I agree with almostdesigning. I think the two countertop materials are too close to look good together. I'm afraid they will look mismatched. Everything else sounds great. I'd choose either the quartz or the Kashmir white granite for the counters, but not both. Or choose a very different material for the island--possibly picking up the contrasting brown tones of your floors.
December 5, 2012 at 6:15am   
PRO
Stoneshop
I, too, agree with feeny and alwaysdesigning about the mix of Kashmir White and Caesarstone. I would opt for materials with more contrast if possible.

For your edging options, are you thinking of doing a build-up edge for the perimeter cabinetry? A beveled edge OVER an eased edge? I'm not sure if I understand you or not. Then an eased edge on the island.
December 5, 2012 at 6:49am