Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my living room
golfer123
December 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a wall in living room that the recliner is at and it is slanted, it is hard to arrange or do something that I like because of it. Also, I have been thinking about getting a sofa and have to chairs only in living room. The sectional is very cold in the winter so never use it much. Also, just bought the rug and Im sorry I got that one :( any suggestions
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lornalou
I think to help you we need an idea of the entire room floor plan. Recliners are tough, when reclined they are the size of a sofa, they have to float in a room or in a corner, usually want to face tv? Not sure where your tv is. If room is open to kitchen? Maybe sectional can float with back to kitchen? Also need better picture of rug.
December 5, 2012 at 3:07PM   
pinksands
I'm not sure why the sectional is cold? Drafty windows, material, etc. But that's an issue. Next your considering getting a sofa first off lornalou is right we need a photo facing the next room to make a suggestion. Third the recliners are too big for this room. Fourth if your going to get a new sofa consider completely moving the furniture around in the room and pull away from the walls and float it instead for better use/flow. How big is the wall your having problems with (dimensions?)
December 5, 2012 at 3:23PM   
tennisanyone
We need to see the whole room. I would start with taking down the valences.What is the room by the recliner?
December 5, 2012 at 4:16PM     
inkwitch
There are a number of aspects of this room which would make it a "cold" room.
1. Leather sofas AND leather recliners really are too much leather in any color. THey're dark. They're not appealing. Leather sofas are notoriously uncomfortable (don't understand why people want them) and unyielding. What's wrong with a red sofa? Olive sofa? Light gray? I see an animal crate; you have a dog. Does it shed? THen you need a sofa made of ultrasued -- practically indistructable, cleans up great, and wears like iron.

2. Vertical blinds? and different blinds on the other windows? I mean, really? No wonder it feels "cold." Remove all blinds. Buy draperies in a warm color. Hang over white sheers if you have a sunlight problem, but frankly, sunshine would be a great improvement. Blinds are for offices. Not for graceful living. Not to mention you can buy all kinds of draperies that are thermal lined to keep out cold if your climate is extreme. Remove valance. DOes nothing for this room. Forget valance. Mount draperies on rods.

3. If you're going to buy furniture and put up draperies, you need to think color scheme. You need to make a decision about what colors you like. Who cares if anyone else likes them? YOU live there, and if it's done right, everyone will love it and never think twice about it. Wall color is a good tone. The rug could work if you get a beige or tan sofa -- something light. Get a smaller sofa -- do you really need to seat 14 people? Does a crowd live there?

4. When you arrange furniture, think cozy conversational groups and how far do you want to reach to pass a cup of coffee or a plate of fruit cake. Arm's length. You aren't going to shout across the room. Intimate low-voiced conversations and warm laughter close together. If you MUST have a recliner (yuck -- but that's just me), pull it in so that it's at the corner of the sofa end. All seating should have at least the front feet on the rug. On the same rug.

5. Lamps, coffee table and side tables are way too dinky for the size of this furniture or the style. Store it, sell it, whatever. Just don't buy matching sets of anything. (Not done anymore.) Mismatched tables, lamps, but in the same character (for instance, although this may not be your style, a lucite lamp in a traditional style and a mercury glass lamp, both with drum shades) are far more interesting and appealing.

It doesn't all have to happen in one fell swoop (what is a "fell swoop" anyway?). It can takes MONTHS to pull a living room together, and that's half the fun. The searches, yard sales, thrift stores, your grandmother's attic, the sudden "AHA" find in the unexpected location. It's a work of love and character to build a room to suit YOUR LIFE. The rest of the world will love it, too, and be very forgiving of a "work in progress." REmember: if you love it, it will work.
December 5, 2012 at 4:30PM     
victorianbungalowranch
Yes, leather can feel cold if the room is drafty or you keep the temp low. If you can move it away a bit from the window and put nice thermal drapes or blinds you can pull shut at night could really help. We also keep cozy throws and blankets handy.

I think the colors and rug and even the recliner is OK. The recliner can point more toward the couch and the couch can maybe tilt more toward the recliner (adjust rug to be at an angle) and put the TV right where the two lines of signt will intersect.
December 5, 2012 at 4:49PM   
golfer123
Love your ideas so okay I am sending more of the room.
Across from the sectional is fireplace and tv wall. The recliner is on the slanted wall a little difficult to
visit with company unless I turn it. I would like to do something else with the room. We had would floors put in so some of the picture have the old carpet. We have a tiny 4lb miniature poodle that does not shed so that is not a problem
December 5, 2012 at 6:08PM   
decoenthusiaste
This weekend take down the valances and remove all of the loose items, from toys to plants, pictures, floor lamps and coffee table and rug. Live with it for the weekend, making notes of how you see it, what you really miss, what you realize you could live without. While it is pretty much empty, take measurements so you can pick up some 1/4 inch grid paper and start mapping out an ideal setup and what it will take to make your room cozy. Then tune in to ideas from Houzzers, make a list and start easing into your makeover!
December 5, 2012 at 6:57PM     
PRO
W. Friesen Construction
I would remove the fireplace and tv cubby completly, making that wall compltely flat. I would then move your section to face the windows with the short side of the sectional sitting where the long section sits. I would suggest a low profiled tv stand in the corner where the two windows meet. The recline can sit any wher along the wall that your fireplace was.
December 5, 2012 at 7:27PM     
golfer123
Oh I will try and do that so please check back with me!
Thank you very much by the way!
December 5, 2012 at 8:36PM   
jagood
Sorry, I deleted my former post.... I think I have a better idea of your room now that I have pieced together all of the photos. . Doing a "to scale" layout will help you play with the arrangement on paper. Without seeing all of the details, I tend to agree with you that your furniture is wrong for your space. I like your floor very much, and the built-in unit is also very nice, but it may be forcing you into a furniture arrangement that is unmanageable. Good luck, and I hope you have fun working this out.
December 5, 2012 at 8:51PM   
golfer123
Thank you very much :)!
December 5, 2012 at 9:05PM   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Rule of thumb for me, is sofa's are always in fabric, with either leather ottoman or one leather chair.
Never all leather.
That angled wall, I'd put a big gorgeous piece of art and that's it.
Make sure you seating arrangement is all friendly and conversational to each other, by
having a chair off to one side singles it out, making it feel like the odd man out.

too bad about your area rug. If you planning on buying new furniture, start with the area rug, and build your master colour scheme around the rug you love. Your assured of success of it working then.

Good Luck!
December 5, 2012 at 9:57PM   
Darzy
I have a feeling your aren't planning on buying new furniture anytime soon. How about an upholstered bench ottoman (your coffee table is small for the couch) in a fabulous fabric to break up all the leather? Then coordinating pillows for more texture and color. I agree to remove the valances and get thermal window treatments. I'd also angle the recliner floating towards the sofa. The corner lamp light shining up does not work (light wise). How about an arc lamp? And, updating your lamps (and bigger) will make a big difference.
Summer Home
Bayo Vista
December 5, 2012 at 11:27PM   
December 5, 2012 at 11:37PM   
inkwitch
Forget the slanted wall. FOrget putting chairs against walls unless the arrangements works with the whole. Furniture floats in relation to each other, not to the walls. Well, that's something of a simplification, but you get the point.

I can see why that room would be cold: sliders and all those huge windows. They're gorgeous, but thermal curtains will help a lot. ANd pull the sofa out - at least a few inches so it isn't jammed into the wall. YOu need space for the draperies to hang.

decoenthusiaste has a good idea -- start with a bare slate. Live with it for a while. You'll be surprised what you can do without! Love the poodle.
December 6, 2012 at 2:56AM   
lornalou
Darcy has some great photos. They should help. Love the rug she choose to. Don't skimp on rig size. Upholstered ottoman will get you a long way as will real drapes. Fabric pillows will also break up leather sectional. I agree with comment, one leather item in room should be a hard rule. But you have the sectional and it should work. Look forward to finished project. Hope we get to see it.
December 6, 2012 at 3:28AM     
olldroo
I don't have a problem with the leather lounge I just feel overall the room is too brown. I don't think the valance works and agree with curtains in lieu of blinds. Darcy and lornalou have echoed my thoughts otherwise, I think you have the makings of a great room here, just need to scale down on the brown.
December 6, 2012 at 4:27AM   
michigammemom
I don't mind your leather sofa although I like Marie's take on using leather sparingly. For me the most distracting element are your outdated white aluminum blinds. They give your room the cold, institutional feel. Woven shades paired with curtain panels would add color, softness and warmth to your room. I also like the red rug Darzy pictured. Your present rug doesn't offer any contrast.
December 6, 2012 at 5:04AM     
justone
I agree you need some softness in the room. A big fabric ottoman for the sofa and taking down the valances and shades, replacing with simple panels. For the angled wall, try a table or chest of drawers under the mirror. A more vibrant rug and pillows for all the leather.
December 6, 2012 at 6:07AM   
golfer123
My husband wants to get a sofa in the future as he has a hard time moving that sectional if needed. He is getting older and it's harder for him to do those things on his own and forget my back haha! I love all your comments and I can't wait I am studying the room right now because I want it to look FANTASTIC when I get it done. It is a small house on a golf course and we love it so just want it to look it's best!
December 6, 2012 at 10:42AM   
Darzy
I don't think the sofa will fit in any other configuration than what you have anyway...so don't worry about moving around. But, do schooch it away from the wall at least 4 inches. A few simple changes you make will make a HUGE difference. Have fun!
December 6, 2012 at 10:55AM   
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
Hi, My name is Tina. Interior decorating is my passion, I've designed several rooms for my clients using my digital photo imaging. I take a before picture and mimic what I see, along with having the customer fill out a questioniare. But in your case, i've taken your photo and some of the comments that was written and game up with this picture. Hope this helps you to get a visual before you even make any changes to your room design. I normally charge $30 for two room photo types, but since I'm launching a new venture (digital imaging by Tina).... i've decided to do one at no cost. So here's to good health, and good decorating!! Enjoy Tina....
December 6, 2012 at 11:06AM   
PRO
Hi, My name is Tina. Interior decorating is my passion, I've designed several rooms for my clients using my digital photo imaging. I take a before picture and mimic what I see, along with having the customer fill out a questioniare. But in your case, i've taken your photo and some of the comments that was written and game up with this picture. Hope this helps you to get a visual before you even make any changes to your room design. I normally charge $30 for two room photo types, but since I'm launching a new venture (digital imaging by Tina).... i've decided to do one at no cost. So here's to good health, and good decorating!! Enjoy Tina....
December 6, 2012 at 11:06AM   
PRO
Interior Transformation, Inc.
It looks like the sectional has one armless chair section. If yes, I would take that out and move the recliner a little more into the seating area, which will also help with the size of the coffee table. The rug will anchor the space for you. Then on the angled wall, add a small half round table or a small rectangular console height table. Leave the mirror and let that area serve as it's own little vignette. Then I would switch out the pillows to something a little more casual - leather trimmed pillows work well on leather as they help keep the pillows from slipping and definitely go with down cores. To finish it off, switch out some of the accessories. Have fun! Linda
December 6, 2012 at 1:03PM   
PRO
W. Friesen Construction
No spin the sectional to ;left so it is sitting in the corner of the room facing the windows and patio door _l
December 6, 2012 at 1:04PM   
careclare
For the moment, try placing the recliner at a 90 degree to the sofa, forgetting about the wall. Table might go between chair and sofa. Forget getting rid of the fireplace. Who wants huge furniture in the pathway anyway? And don't block your door or pathway with your sofa. The fireplace and mantle are the nicest part of the room. The problem is the furniture. Doesn't look like the sofa would fit at a 90 degree angle. It took me a couple of years to get my husband's recliner gone! I agree with another poster...if you can reduce size the sofa and get the recliner in the corner in line with the sofa. That'll give you a "U" shaped seating area. Leather is cold in the winter and sticky in the summer, so I hear you. An ottoman (or two smaller ones) in fabric with large trays for a coffee table to set snacks on is a great idea.

I understand the reasoning for using valances, but a lighter neutral would accept the view. Cornices maybe, with drapes. I love my white wood blinds, but your verticals need to go. Everything gets dusty, so choose your window coverings. Blinds allow you to cut out sunshine and get a little privacy while getting a little light, plus you can see the golf course. If it is cold by the windows, put film and caulk. Soften, if you must with floor to ceiling drapes. Love warm colored rug idea...red, no less! Goes great with the beige colors. Can pick a fringed or trimmed ottoman to coordinate.

Also, one of the very narrow accent tables should work where you have a tall arrangement on an angled wall in the pathway. Some are about 6-8" deep. cute but out-of-the-way.
December 6, 2012 at 2:20PM   
golfer123
The sectional has arms on both sides. I am thinking now after your comments of getting rid of the recliner I am the one that sits in it my husband doesn't care for it I think because he can't look straight on to the tv.
December 6, 2012 at 8:43PM   
PRO
Hello, golfer123. What is your name? Thank you for the comment. I’m glad you like my work.
If you would like additional work and suggestions regarding, please email me at tbearden_35@msn.com. I’m in the process of rebuilding my website, stay tuned… I will post once it’s completed. My take on your room design; I’d get rid of the couch all together. Sell it on Craig’s list, at least it want be an entire waste. You can get some money back. Secondly, to get an overall feel of your designed space, I’d go with a traditional sofa and love seat and you will even have enough room for a matching recliner (for your husband). One thing about decorating, everyone in the house needs should be met. Please take a look at some of these couches; I think it would look darling in your space. Decorating is all about trying to accomplish a certain type of mood, theme and end result. Also, see another one of my digital imaging photos that I did.
Enjoy!
Tina
December 7, 2012 at 6:03AM   
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina
December 7, 2012 at 6:04AM   
golfer123
Actually I love the first image you did and I can do it with little money. I am looking for materials to do this. First off I am going to paint the wall above fireplace that cranberry color, then a ceiling fan change,
then I need drapery but that is what I have decided to do. The above picture is pretty but not me :)
Thank you for all your help!!!
Marie
December 7, 2012 at 7:48PM   
PRO
Hi Marie,

I'm glad I was able to help you out! The above picture was to show my additional work, not that I expected you to consider this as an options LOL.... I hope when I get my website up and running, that you can leave a comment on how i was able to help you alittle.

Thanks Marie, any questions on furnishing and where you can find it in your price range. Just email me, I will help you....

Tina
Digital Imaging by Tina
December 9, 2012 at 6:15AM   
More Discussions
Under cabinet hood or range hood ??
Please guide me what will be best option to put hood...
Old house lovers. . . What would you do with this living room wall?
This is our formal living room. I can't figure out...
I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Bathroom wall color for 2 bathrooms
Not sure what color to paint these bathrooms, should...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.