Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Updating my kitchen and need help with island and hood color
sminslee
December 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We have installed new appliances, granite countertops and travertine tile, removed cabinet and microwave that were over the cooktop,and added wood embellishments to the island. My plan was to do the hood and island in antique black finish but I am now considering doing the island in an antique cream. Is black on the hood (will be a curved wood style with liner) and island too dark, or both in cream too light and could I even consider a black hood and cream island ??? Thoughts/comments appreciated
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daveyola
I'd do an open steel hood and tile up that back wall to ceiling, also that pot rack is really heavy and distracts from everything - island is great, maybe just dress up with a light above it instead of pans
December 5, 2012 at 11:50AM   
Aggie Purvinska
Black hood and cream island would be lovely, but your initial black direction will be more cohesive. I would also do a much darker wall color with that.
December 5, 2012 at 12:08PM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I like the black hood and cream island.
December 5, 2012 at 3:24PM   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
same here, black hood and cream island, it will really break up all of the wood tones you have going on and add some interest to the space. Sounds like a fun project!
December 5, 2012 at 4:03PM   
PRO
Sweetlake Interior Design LLC
Stainless hood!!! Go with the flow of stainless...uniformity with appliances gives a more professional look...
December 5, 2012 at 5:38PM     
lyn3690
Black hood, black island, cream cabinets. Cohesive and classy!
December 5, 2012 at 8:43PM     
champy00
I also say get rid of the pans hanging..I like the black hood and cream island idea.
December 5, 2012 at 8:57PM   
champy00
I also think a heavier window valance would be better...it just looks too simple to me..maybe it's me though I don't like to see the top of a window.
December 5, 2012 at 8:59PM   
sminslee
Thanks for all the input!! The hood look I'm going for is attached. I was thinking stainless hood but really want a more Mediterranean feel. I agree, the pan rack will be coming down and will be redoing the valance. Eventually want to redo floors to slightly darker more distressed look too which is another reason I was contemplating antiqued cream on the island. ???
December 5, 2012 at 9:22PM     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
It will be beautiful. A hood like this is a work of art and having it black when not much else is says 'look at me'. Antiquing the island will certainly help with not obsessing over it looking perfect 24/7 which I think can happen especially at a busy island. The cream would also look nice, just keep the cleaning cloths handy.
December 6, 2012 at 1:48PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Your black hood is going to look fabulous and I must say that I love the black island shown in the picture. I don't know if you get as much daylight as the room in the picture, but if you do, I'd be tempted to go with the black, despite what I thought earlier. Aren't pictures wonderful!
December 6, 2012 at 3:31PM   
PRO
LM Designers
I like the black hood and cream island idea. If you feel like taking it a step further I would do hood and island black and paint all the other cabinets cream and get rid of the wood. This will look really elegant.
December 6, 2012 at 3:41PM   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
I would do the island black, with a stainless steel hood. I do think painting the cabinets a cream color would look fabulous!! Have you thought about adding hardware to the cabinets? Change out the window treatment, then remove the pot rack and add 2 pendant lights above the island...good luck... :)
December 6, 2012 at 4:01PM   
bdennison
black hood, black island, wood cabs look fine. nice kitchen. oh, btw, what color is your granite. can't tell on my monitor
December 6, 2012 at 4:14PM   
PRO
Muratore Construction + Design
Already a lot going on. Ask cabinet maker for a round stained hood cover to match cabinets. The curve alone will add enough interest. Black will be too heavy. The cream island is a great idea. Good luck!
December 6, 2012 at 4:20PM   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
I may be wrong but......It looks to me like you have a 36" cooktop underneath a 30" space for your hood. If this is correct then the more prominent you make the hood by making it black etc the more you will emphasize that it is too narrow for the cooktop below it. One of the most important design rules is if you have a problem don't attract attention to it by style and design choices that draw you eye to the issue. If I am wrong then any choice would be fine, if you do have this issue I would keep it simple and go stainless steel for the hood.
December 6, 2012 at 4:43PM     
sminslee
Thanks everyone, your comments are greatly appreciated!! The cooktop and hood space are both 30in wide. The granite is absolute cream (a better pic of the granite attached). I am leaning toward the black hood and island, it's just that with the added wood trim, I was liking the light color on the island contrasting with the floor and other cabinets.....
December 6, 2012 at 9:27PM   
lritz
Definitely cream on the island - will be gorgeous with that granite and some nice bright visual interst to the space - you could add some pendants overhead in place of pots with a finish that picks up on hood choice. For me, it's a coin toss for the hood - black or stainless could both work - do think though the tile should continue right up.
December 6, 2012 at 9:43PM   
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Since they are both 30 then really any of the looks will be fine, and I like all three options. I really like the legs, rails, and moldings you added to your Island. Very creative solution to what was a very boring island before.
December 7, 2012 at 7:33AM   
Jayme H.
I think Black on the island and hood. I would possibly also possibly paint the cabinets a shade of white/cream to keep them in tune with those new counters/ and install new hardware.
December 7, 2012 at 8:52AM   
sminslee
Just finished the island in antique black and love it! - The pictures don't do it justice. (I used Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations and it was great to work with except for the top coat which dries super quickly and can get streaky.) Now on to the hood which I will also do in matching antique black. I am also going to be adding hardware to the cabinets and changing the valance - any suggestions on those? Thanks for all the help!!
December 12, 2012 at 12:01PM   
bdennison
wow, what a difference. I did my island in the same product/same color and it's still beautiful 9 months later. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen. I think that if you don't need window treatments for privacy, take them down. It looks much more clean and updated. I used a brushed stainless with the black and it looks nice. Will match your appliances as well. Here are pics of kitchen. White cabs are rustoleum transformations as well.
December 12, 2012 at 12:10PM   
michigammemom
Nicely done...so much richer looking!
December 12, 2012 at 12:11PM   
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Very nice, I can see why you love it!

A false roman would be nice in the window. I could be hung from just below the ceiling so you don't block the view and light. If you need something to block the light at times you could add a roller shade to pull down when needed.

With all the stain less you have in the kitchen, stainless handles/knobs would be a nice choice.

Again, very nice!

Cheers
Mary
December 12, 2012 at 12:13PM