Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Jacuzzi in the bedroom? Help! :)
nyeargin
December 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
So my wife and I are buying this home and have no clue what to do with this space in the bedroom. The first picture is looking at the left side of the room where the bed sits. The second picture is what you see when looking straight out while sitting in the bed! Yes, a jacuzzi in the bedroom. Behind that fireplace is a sink as well. The floor is hardwood until this "bath area" starts. There is a shower and toilet through that small doorway you see past the tub. We have a tub in the other bathroom down the hall so we don't necessarily have to have this tub at all. Any thoughts from you guys on what to do in this space? Pull the tub out and rip the tile out so we can match the rest of the bedroom hardwoods? Leave the tub? Also, any ideas on the fireplace? I don't want the bedroom to feel like a 1990s hotel at Niagara Falls! FYI.. The rest of the home is cottage style. (Built in 1920)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksundar
How luxurious! After you are in your new home and have gotten used to having a fire in the fireplace when you bathe you may decide a bathtub in the bedroom is not so bad. :) I think this is a job for a professional. But here are a few suggestions anyway. Extend the wood from the bedroom to the bathroom door. Frame out tub with bead board, and bead board on bathroom door wall. Hang a very nice old fashioned hotel style towel rack on that wall. Remove brass and glass fitting around fireplace, and put up white painted brick. Find a nice screen or hang drapes that can be pulled to offer privacy when bathing. But really, consult a pro. It will be worth the money.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 8:38PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi nyeargin, Marie here.
You know what - I don't like your current bathroom either.
Instead of putting a band-aid on it,
save up to gut it all and design your perfect master ensuite.
Until then, save, Save, SAVE so you can renovate it once, then enjoy it for years...
Some inspirational photos of cottage bathrooms to inspire you...
PS. Call me when your ready to gut it - I'll give you a hand at picking your finishes!
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 9:34PM
alwaysdesigning
I would also agree that calling in a professional to get a design you really will like is the only way to go. Sometimes you have to live with something to understand what you really want or need. I would not hurry into this remodel. Live with it and make notes about what is good and bad with the bedroom/bath. Be aware of walls that are not structural that could come out to make your spaces more enjoyable and blend into the cottage feel. Integrating your master bedroom, vanity, wet areas, closets will be well worth the investment if you will be in the house for years to come. Good luck with your project.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 9:56PM
greenthumb2
If it is really driving you crazy, and you don't mind the idea; I would remove the beautiful art work hanging by the fireplace. I would then stencil above the fireplace a motif more in keeping with your home's style. repeat the stencil under the towel bar. stain the little wooden shelf unit to match the motif.

there are hundreds of different kinds of stencils. I was think row stencil to tie in the fireplace and the wall with tile. yes, bandaid but could unify depending on application. http://modellodesigns.com/Category.asp?cat_idno=151187
this link takes you into: modello, and strip stencils.

or, if the tile isn't so great and not repeated anywhere, you can cover it with wood for now. dark top trim would tie in with fireplace. If you hate the fireplace, see about running a trim on it and on the tile to bring both items into sync.

the problem is the eye goes to many places when it sees this corner. need some unity whie you save up for something you'll love more.

the fireplace and art are clean and modern looking, the tub, towel rack and ceramic very luxury cottage b&b type look. Floor a little med.

I will look for a few links to give you some inspiration.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 10:53PM
greenthumb2

this is something very different from what I was talking about in previous post. Warmed up the room. You would trim the fireplace with wood to match.

If the wood is too dark, you could have it painted.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 11:09PM
greenthumb2
Can you see about a new surround for fireplace (attaches to wall, doesn't take up floor space) or at least new doors in a cottage style, and taking the brass trim off.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 11:10PM
greenthumb2
If you like the tile on the wall, you can have your fireplace faced with that, change to more cottage feeling on the doors to it. Voila. A good compromise for a year..... or more. who knows? :=) enjoy your process, it is a beautiful experience....
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 11:16PM