powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cracked round mirrored table. Paint or Decal?
Erica Soto
December 5, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I love this table but it is cracked and I would like to paint it. I've googled some designs but nothing came at that I loved.

I've also considered fixing it but I don't know how and how much. I got it for free on CL but don't want to get of it.

Also where should I place this at. I know too many questions but my mind has a beautiful imagination however hands aren't creative at all.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anniehaff
You can have a piece of glass or mirror cut for the table to bring it back to new! I would suggest calling different stores to see their pricing. One thing I have found helpful is actually to call a consignment shop and ask who they recommend. I've found they have great suggestions!
December 5, 2012 at 7:55PM     
Erica Soto
The glass would be a pain to install.
December 5, 2012 at 8:02PM   
anniehaff
Ah, understandable and yes, you would most likely ave to have someone do ha for you. How about putting a round top on it? I can't see it being painted, but perhaps you could just cover the crack with an entirely new top?
December 5, 2012 at 8:14PM   
houssaon
I think it would be very expensive to get a round mirror to replace it. But get a price quote so you know. You could cover it with a runner if it isn't going to be used for meals.
December 5, 2012 at 8:15PM   
PRO
Immersion Design
Is the the mirror just setting down into the frame? Also, how big is it? If you are located in the DC metro area (DC, MD, and VA) I have a great glass/mirror shop to recommend with competitive prices...
December 5, 2012 at 8:35PM   
champy00
I would just replace the top..it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
December 5, 2012 at 9:02PM   
xtalivy
Erica,

What an unusual table. Consider the crack as character and don't try to repair it (which I'm not sure you could even do if you wanted to). Beveled glass of that size would be expensive to replace. Have you looked at what creative things you can do with mirrors? So many out there. You can antique it from behind, but that goes against the style of the table since it's more contemporary. However, one thing I'd definitely consider would require removing the top - carefully. Remove some of the silver behind it so it could expose an oversized sheet of paper with calligraphied words from an artistic font. I might consider something fun like a very creative and artsy saying about 7 yrs of bad luck. Have your friends over one night to ponder the saying. "It's not OUR 7 yrs of bad luck." or "Mirror, mirror on the wall..." You get the picture. Capitalize on the crack and turn the lemon into lemonade.

You go, girl!
Xtal
December 5, 2012 at 9:41PM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Replace the mirror - look up in the yellow pages glass/mirror suppliers.
Measure the diameter and buy a new mirror.

If your cute they'll take the old one out, and put the new one in for you at their shop.
You'll have to pay for the mirror, but should only be $100.
December 5, 2012 at 9:46PM   
victorianbungalowranch
How about clear or black glass instead?

My first thought was to paint or stencil along the crack like a bit of delicate vine or floral ornament in white or cream and grey. Or do something more stylized--even Art Deco or Mod. Then it would look somethink like a Venetian mirror. Or maybe artistically wavering over the crack and a lattice type pattern on one side, maybe with a bit of oversized roccoco like leaf pattern on the edge. Then it would be sort of Hollywood Regency in style. If you have some talent or know someone, it could be cheaper and easier than full replacement.

Like the desilvering idea too, and they could be combined, perhaps even doing a bit on the sides too if you are feeling brave..

How big is it? Coffee table, side table, tea table or dining table? Don't know your house or decor so hard to say where to put it.
December 5, 2012 at 10:56PM   
judianna20
Cover it with a sticky backed shelf paper (there are many choices). This vendor will cut to your measurements.

December 6, 2012 at 1:17PM   
Darzy
Here is a weird idea...how about cracking it some more? I once saw a tv designer break mirrors and put in on a FP surround and grouted it. It looked awesome. Maybe you could put a towel over the glass, carefully hammer and crack the mirror in a mosaic pattern? Then polyurthean the top to seal it?
December 6, 2012 at 1:28PM     
Darzy
You could also cover the top (leaving the beveled edge) in a wood veneer (it's very thin) and stain the wood to match.
December 6, 2012 at 1:32PM   
Erica Soto
Here are the measurements:
20"Hx42"W
92 lbs

I really love the calligraphy idea but the mirror is embedded under the wood not on top. I was also thinking of changing it, only if I could, to a wall mirror once I got it fixed
December 7, 2012 at 2:29PM   
diehardmom
Don't laugh............find a really cool beaded table runner and camoflauge the whole thing by lying the runner right across the cracked area?
December 7, 2012 at 2:57PM     
xtalivy
Erica,
Spend some time on Pinterest.com - input whatever words you want and see what comes up. You'll find a barrage of ideas there. If you are crafty, then try something yourself. What do you have to loose? And at least, you'd have the satisfaction of trying it yourself.
Xtal
December 9, 2012 at 4:14PM   
decoenthusiaste
Consider breaking the mirror some more - like into pieces. Then put it back together like a mosaic. You'll get more sparkle from it in pieces!
December 9, 2012 at 5:00PM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
How about breaking out the existing glass and replacing it with mosaic mirror tile? Or, you could remove the existing mirror and replace it with fabric or paper or whatever - you could use anything flat - and then pour resin over it. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-glass-mirror-mosaic-tile-94031 http://www.epoxyproducts.com/bartop.html
December 9, 2012 at 5:46PM   
ayshah1026
The exact same thing happened to me WITH THE EXACT SAME TABLE!!! It just happened today and I was researching ways to fix it and came upon this site! What did you end up doing to fix the huge scratch and/or crack? If you replaced the glass do you mind sharing how much it cost? What instructions dis you provide the glass company? Any guidance would be so appreciated! This is my favorite table ever! Thiking of calling the Home Decorator's website (where I bought the table) and complaining to them about this situatiOn! Please do let me know how you resolved the problem!
February 3, 2013 at 9:54PM   
xtalivy
I wrote 2 months ago. I'm figuring that you've solved your problem. Can you tell us what you did?
February 6, 2013 at 6:53AM   
More Discussions
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Curtain panel selection-
Which is a better fit for this place? The beige or...
Need advice badly! What should I do about my countertop?
(Copied from the "Other" category based on a poster's...
Kitchen back splash area not level
Just installed new cabinets and granite counter top...
How do I make my dining area flow with our formal living room?
Our formal living room is also our dining area. Bc...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.