Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Our chirstmas chair - Would your kids like this
Maiken Utzon Harris
December 6, 2012 in Polls
To celebrate our first Christmas, we made this special ‘Hygge’ version of our exclusive Wave children’s chair. It’s upholstered in luxuriously warm and cosy Tibetan Lamb and the frame is maple. My question is: Do you like it and think it works ?
The market is small I know but where do I go and find that top end premium market for this product
Can anyone help in who I would go to for top end interior childrens decoration
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
designideas4me
My Babybear would love it. Her fur looks just like that.
December 6, 2012 at 1:32am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Well our dog Fulham who you can see on the chair loves it to
December 6, 2012 at 1:41am   
charleee
It looks good, but does it have any padding under the fur? And I don't understand your poll at all.
December 6, 2012 at 3:41am   
designideas4me
Do you live in Denmark? what does the chair sell for?
December 6, 2012 at 8:54am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Yes I do live in Denmark and the chair retails between USD1100-1500 however trade at Houzz gets 40% discount like shops - It is danish designed and made so premium materials and craftsmanship
December 6, 2012 at 9:01am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Sorry let me make it clear as you probably asked to the Tibetan lamb chair which retails at USD 1600 however we do other chairs with various upholstry (leather,wool act) and thoses retail at between 1100-1500
December 6, 2012 at 9:06am   
designideas4me
Reminds me of some ikea products. Thats where I bought my lamb skin . I like your house. I love swedish design.
December 6, 2012 at 9:06am   
designideas4me
or Danish I mean...lol
December 6, 2012 at 9:07am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Thanks its cold here though, The quality of our product is very very different to IKEA though....(:
December 6, 2012 at 9:15am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
olldbobbi sorry did not see your question before now. There is padding underneath its soft and very comfortable - has been made as a reading chair/TV chair
December 6, 2012 at 9:18am   
charleee
Thank you.
December 6, 2012 at 9:21am   
michigammemom
If the Tibetan lamb hide chair is marketed for children, I would find it highly impractical to keep clean.
December 6, 2012 at 9:58am     
Maiken Utzon Harris
I think that perception might be our challenge as natural hair is actually very easy to keep clean and dirt does not stick - It is a one off christmas chair we did for fun and just to make something really cozy and nice our main chairs are the other ones you see (leather and wool) however just thought if there was a market for it we could put it into production
December 6, 2012 at 10:45am   
PRO
karen paul interiors
This would be such a great adult chaise for the living room. Love it so much!
December 6, 2012 at 10:53am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
I tell you my kids 3 kids Daisy 3,Flora 8 and Fred 10 are fighting over it as well - my oldest boy plays the playstation and the two girls loves watching telly in it and even our dog loves to lie in it...
December 6, 2012 at 11:59am   
lefty47
HI -- So there is actually NO question here -- then you are just advertizing , right ????
December 6, 2012 at 12:28pm     
Maiken Utzon Harris
No my question is to find out wether it should be put into production - would people like it and buy it or would they think it to impractical so I am really trying to test waters here
December 6, 2012 at 12:32pm   
Maiken Utzon Harris
No my question is to find out wether it should be put into production - would people like it and buy it or would they think it to impractical so I am really trying to test waters here
December 6, 2012 at 12:32pm   
designideas4me
Maybe in colder climates here or ski areas it may do well. I am in southern california so its hot here. Do your other chairs sell well in the states?
December 6, 2012 at 3:34pm   
jillef
I think as an adult chair it works very well. It's, luxurious, elegant with beautiful curves. When I see it in the scale pictures it loses these qualities. I think the market would be very limited in the type of people who would buy this for their children.
December 6, 2012 at 3:51pm     
lefty47
HI -- Fair enough Maiken -- Yes, I think there is a good market for it , but that depends on the price . I think the bigger market would be the adult size chair. It has beautiful lines and would fit in any home . I think it is like a mid century modern for today . The adult size maybe could use a lest one arm and sit a little higher off the floor. I would NOT buy the chair for a child if it is exspensive because children grow too fast . Example -- your daughter Flora looks almost too big on the chair now. Love the dog,- Fulham looks very comfortable on it !
December 6, 2012 at 5:46pm   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Hi designideas4me We only just launched here in oct so we are in 3 shops in US but it is still very new so cant really tell yet
December 7, 2012 at 12:11am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Hi lefty47 thanks for your feedback, the price def limits our group but it just gets that expensive when in shops - if I went purely online it would half the price immidiately but then of course you lose the sales channels but we will have to revisit the strategy after christmas but yes I have thought of the same myself and maybe that is what we have to do
December 7, 2012 at 12:14am   
Darzy
I see this only viable in a larger adult size chair. This is too pricey for the size and I would not pay $1500 USD for a chair my child will grow out of quickly. Plus, children don't sit still like that for very long.
December 7, 2012 at 12:21am   
Darzy
Here is an adult size chaise for less than $700 and other leather ones for about the same. Okay..not the same quality as yours I'm sure. But, eames chairs are ridiculously priced so good luck with your venture.

December 7, 2012 at 12:28am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Thanks Darcy, so what would be your limit for a nice piece for your kids that could be in your livingroom and have a good enough quality to be passed down from generation to generation ?
December 7, 2012 at 12:50am   
jillef
Just wanted to add that I didn't think the chair had lost all its qualities being smaller it just lost those particular ones for me. Still beautiful chair though and I think that version for the adult size would be great!
December 7, 2012 at 5:48pm   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Thanks Jillef, I appreciate all the feedback and think because of this discussion I might put it in shops at pure cost and then hope to make profit when selling online as its about getting it out there and in peoples homes and if that means I work for free for a bit then that is better than no body buying because its to expensive - So very helpful thanks
December 8, 2012 at 2:42am     
lhainan
It's beautiful and looks comfy. Kids love to lounge and not sit upright! My kids are more the pillow or beanbag type. But they definetly love cozy soft.
December 8, 2012 at 3:43am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Dear Ihainan, thanks so much I think so to and my kids love it to but of course it is not for everybody. Appreciate your kinds words as its my first piece and have just launched so thats always nice to be told
December 8, 2012 at 9:52am   
Darzy
Maiken..I personally would not pay $1,500 for a child's chair. They grow up fast and will be on "hold" until they have children of their own. I do love the style..for an adult chair.
December 8, 2012 at 10:43am   
jagood
At that price, I think your market will be limited to very wealthy people who like modern and appreciate the esthetics of your beautiful design. I personally like your regular chairs better than the one with the shaggy fur because I think the fur hides the curves which I find so appealing. Your regular children's chair would be great in a high-end modern apartment that is short on space, such as some in NYC, where sale prices are astronomical compared to other parts of the USA. That may be the market you should seek.
December 8, 2012 at 11:19am   
Patricia Corbin
Saw
December 8, 2012 at 11:21am   
Patricia Corbin
Saw
Patricia Corbin
Saw
Patricia Corbin
Saw
jagood
Have you thought about marketing this chair to very small adults? I know that it would be a limited group, but I imagine they have a very difficult time finding furniture that is comfortable for them and may really appreciate this chair since it doesn't look like a typical children's chiar.
December 8, 2012 at 11:30am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Jagood, I think you are spot on and that is the market I am hoping for - But the challenge of getting to those people who dont look at the price is def one of the problems as the stores who have designer furniture only really like established brands I think or maybe it just takes longer to build up than I had anticipated
December 8, 2012 at 11:32am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
That is a really interesting angle I had not thought of that.
December 8, 2012 at 11:42am   
PRO
ct design studio
Yes I see this in select markets where the clientele spends this kind of money on furniture: NYC, LA, Aspen, Lake Tahoe etc. I also agree an adult sized chair would be more appealing. There is always plenty of competition so it will take time to break into the market. You will need to connect with not only showrooms, but the designers themselves through marketing, tradeshows etc.

For my midwest market, this would be out of reach financially and not deemed practical by most. But there is always a market for everything, good luck!
December 8, 2012 at 11:46am   
Maiken Utzon Harris
So many have said adult size now why is that ? is it because it is more commercial or is it the pair (small and big one together) that is the catch ? The reason I went for kids furniture was because I thought ther is so much nice quality adult furniture but not the same for kids but so many says do an adult why is that ? what is your initial thought when you say do an adult ? as there is already loads of nice adult furniture
December 8, 2012 at 12:01pm   
Maiken Utzon Harris
please
December 8, 2012 at 12:02pm   
jagood
At least here in the US, we are not accustomed to considering the size of children when we furnish our living rooms, since children can sit in adult chairs but adults cannot sit in children's chairs. Except for babies who obviously cannot be left alone in adult furniture, we expect children to use adult sized furnishings, and children don't seem to mind doing it. Even in their bedrooms, children are often quickly moved out of cribs and into regular sized beds which they are expected to use until they leave home. Most people simply can't afford to spend a lot of money on furniture for children that will be outgrown before they reach their teens. But they like your chairs, so they think you might have better luck selling them if you made them in adult size.

If your chairs were priced lower, I think some private schools and libraries that cater to young children would love to have them for children to use while reading. It looks like it would be easy to move them around and children love to rearrange.

Have you considered working on a design that would convert from a chair for a child to a larger size, and thus make it more "practical" as an investment piece?
December 8, 2012 at 12:24pm   
feeny
I love furniture that is sized for children, but I'm not interested in buying it if it isn't affordable. We have two lovely little antique mission rocking chairs that we used in our son's room and our living room when he was small, but they were about $35/each at an antique fair. Kids grow out of miniature furnishings too fast for them to be practical at high prices. Whereas your beautiful chair in an adult size, though still on the expensive side for most people, would at least be usable for many, many years.
December 8, 2012 at 12:30pm     
Maiken Utzon Harris
Ahh I see, here in Europe we tend to get childrens furniture for children but it is of course much cheaper than my chair and tend to be in plastic (practical and cheap) that is why I thought I would go the other end as I cant compete with IKEA - have not got capital and muscle enough. I think I will try and be in shops for cost that way I immidiately half the price and then hope for profit online.
December 8, 2012 at 12:32pm   
Maiken Utzon Harris
Thanks Feeny for your feedback
December 8, 2012 at 12:34pm   
Maiken Utzon Harris
and Jagood
December 8, 2012 at 12:35pm   
momof5x
I voted for the last one, I like the material and colour of it.
December 31, 2012 at 9:41am     
Maiken Utzon Harris
Thanks momof5x
December 31, 2012 at 12:12pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.