Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas on kitchen
infantry0414
December 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Looking at making an offer on this house but the kitchen is turning us away. I've thought about replacing the cabinets where the current location is and putting a matching island in the middle. Limited on counter space with just that one wall or move everything on the other side and have 2 or 3 walls to work off of. This has to be one of the worst designed kitchens I've seen. Lol. Any ideas/advice please. No issues on budget. Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
infantry0414
Another view of the other side of kitchen
December 6, 2012 at 10:51AM   
PRO
Lee Design and Interiors
SInce you said budget was not an issue, it looks like you have a fantastic space to work with. With what looks to be a decent amount of space you can pretty much design and build any style you would like. The real question is what style do you like, anything is possible and you have a great canvas to start with. -Lee Design
December 6, 2012 at 10:56AM   
PRO
Dytecture
I would reverse the current kitchen and dining space so there isn't any wasted space with an U-shaped kitchen, while the standard exterior door could be widen to create better flow to the outside.

December 6, 2012 at 3:06PM   
bdennison
dytechture is spot on. right down to the slider. you have the perfect blank canvas to work with. good luck.
December 6, 2012 at 3:12PM   
PRO
LM Designers
This is the perfect blank space to start with. Any kitchen designer would be thrilled to design your kitchen. I agree to flip the kitchen to the other side of the room. You just need some guidance and you will see all the possibilities. Go somewhere with the measurements that doesn't charge you for a design and give the designer the freedom to do whatever they want. You will be surprised at what they come up with.
December 6, 2012 at 3:53PM   
decoenthusiaste
Yes, the other end would work best. Grab a kitchen designer and go for it!
December 6, 2012 at 4:00PM   
charleee
Why not just create a galley style kitchen by adding a bank of cabinetry coming out from the window?
December 6, 2012 at 4:01PM   
decoenthusiaste
I thought about that that too, olldbobbi, but with an unlimited budget, wouldn't you want your dream kitchen? Mine would probably be an efficient galley, but there's a lot of space here.
December 6, 2012 at 4:34PM     
nevadan
This kitchen would be a deal breaker. It's not just the arrangement. but the windows are all wrong for a kitchen and they would have to be changed drastically. Very expensive.
December 6, 2012 at 4:38PM   
PRO
laurie Battersby
Budget not an issue? This is a complete re-do....so you would have to spend some money to make this a workable space with some aesthetic appeal.
December 6, 2012 at 4:54PM   
charleee
deco, you're right! I just look for the simplest path of least resistance. I must be lazy!
December 6, 2012 at 4:54PM   
PRO
Linda
bobbi, you're not lazy...just efficient!
December 6, 2012 at 5:12PM     
nasmijati
I agree that the kitchen and dining spaces should be flipped. A door in that position in a kitchen is a traffic hazard.

However, the windows in the dining area are lower than counter height and would have to be removed and replaced.

If there are other houses you like just as well, you might leave the expense of building a kitchen basically from scratch to someone else.
If this is an excellent house for your needs other than the kitchen, make a pros and cons list and decide where you would like to spend your money.
December 6, 2012 at 6:40PM   
infantry0414
Thanks guys. That door goes to a Florida room in the back. The windows screw up some ideas like the U shape. Maybe a L shaped one would work on the other 2 walls. It's a nice size kitchen to work with though. We will see. Prolly going to bring some pictures and measurements to a kitchen remodeler before I put in a bid. Thanks for the advice.
December 6, 2012 at 6:50PM   
PRO
Residential Design TN - Tracy Nichols
I agree with navadan and Dytecture - flip the kitchen around and re-arrange the windows to work with the new design. Also not knowing what is on the existing dining interior wall, perhaps it could be taken out partially (half wall) providing room for a peninsula or completely providing room for an island. Of course you have to consider all the structural and mechanical changes which could easily double your budget and demand an experienced contractor.
December 6, 2012 at 7:00PM   
More Discussions
Family room furniture
I have a 20x14 family room with fireplace on one wall...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Canvas roof over indoor jacuzzi area
I have an indoor jacuzzi area 100 Sq. Ft. that is in...
flooring for mid-century modern studio house
Hi there, design wizards, I've been stumped on...
What does your entry say about you?
Do the spaces we live in tell a story about who we...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.