Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help picking furniture for my dining room
gchrissy
December 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
What kind of wood furniture would look best with the dark hardwood floors. I need a dining room table and a sideboard. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
designmuse
What color area rug are you planning on getting? The rug will break up all the dark wood and give you more options.
December 6, 2012 at 3:56pm   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hmmm, hard to tell - may I suggest taking a piece of your hardwood flooring into a furniture store and seeing if the tones are compatible with a dining set you love the look of.
You also want to have a master design scheme plan - ask yourself a few key questions, like:
What is the feeling you want for the end result?
What do you dishes look like -do they have colour, pattern?
You might want to start with an area rug, pick that first, then build adding drapery,
paint colour, fabric for chairs etc.

First, start with what is your preferred style - traditional, modern, french country, eclectic?
December 6, 2012 at 3:57pm     
charleee
It is a good idea to start with an area rug, and since dark floors are a bear to keep looking clean, the rug will help in that department too.
December 6, 2012 at 3:59pm   
decoenthusiaste
Start with art. A rug must be sized based on the table's size and you don't have one yet. Let a fab piece of art theme the room's color and style. Then the table, etc. Last, the rug, and make it 4' wider and longer or bigger around than your table. Chandy should hang no higher than 36" above table.
If you find a table you want, then go for the rug second, and work the opposite way, ending with the art and chandy.
December 6, 2012 at 4:40pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would go with reclaimed wood in a walnut finish. Cloth chairs and a sideboard from a thift shoppe that can be sprayed in a metallic silver sheen.

Blue and Brown drapery with a velvet finish and matching blue french style chairs (solid fabric) with dark wood legs
December 6, 2012 at 5:59pm   
PRO
GONZALO DE SALAS
If I can be of your help is regarding the dining tables. If you like modern design tables, as sculptor and high end furniture designer I invite you to se my site.

www.gonzalodesalas.com/en

I produce all my tables on demand so you can adapt size, material and finish according to your needs. I have 3 different catalogs.

For your living room I would place the dining table under a nice clear rug. The point is making a contrast with the dark floor, enhancing the table and the chairs. ( like in the first picture I post)

If you don't like rugs the idea would be to put a table foot in a color o material that contrast the floor, making it visible.
Here are some ideas.
if you like them I'll be happy to help you.
December 6, 2012 at 6:21pm   
designideas4me
Where would you suggest I look for a contemporary glass table and chairs under $1000 ( besides Ikea) . More of a dinette size for kitchen. thank you
December 6, 2012 at 9:31pm   
PRO
GONZALO DE SALAS
Something like this Designideas4me?
December 7, 2012 at 12:58am   
designideas4me
My space is only 35 x 60 max so I need smaller and prefer matal legs. Most likely will end up with an ikea table I saw with clear chairs and metal legs. But perhaps you can tell me how to choose 2 tables for an open space. One is the larger more formal dining table which is part of the living room and the other is in the kitchen area and more of a breakfast nook. Yet both are seen in the same visual space since the floorplan is open. How would you differ the tables? Thank you
December 7, 2012 at 9:20am   
designideas4me
I like the table above in the left cornor. I like rectangle and not circles. I like simple and no bold colors like green. I like Bo Concept style just to give you ideas.
December 7, 2012 at 9:23am   
gchrissy
Thank you for your suggestions... I start shopping today :)
December 8, 2012 at 6:20am