Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
closet and bathroom
3041wlk
December 6, 2012 in Design Dilemma
my architect has suggested a design that would require me to walk through a walk-in closet to get to my master bath. has anyone done this and if so do you like it.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Some people like the privacy provided of having to walk through the closet before the bedroom, it really depends on your preference.

Personally I like to walk right into the bedroom space. If you have a floor plan that can be attached as 'jpeg' files you might receive some suggestions on alternative layouts.
December 6, 2012 at 5:35PM   
3041wlk
Thanks for the suggestion. I am attaching my drawings.
December 6, 2012 at 6:01PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I've also seen this done and it's not what I would want.
December 6, 2012 at 6:32PM     
nasmijati
I had a small house where I had to walk through a hallway past the walk-in closet to get to the only bathroom. I did not like it. The moisture from the bathroom was always wafting past the closet.
If you live in a damp climate, you will have to make some accommodation so that your clothes and shoes do not mildew.
December 6, 2012 at 6:48PM   
Darzy
I too have seen this done and do not like the concept. My dressing room/closet is a bit chaotic looking and I would like to visit the washroom without seeing the "clutter" every time!
December 10, 2012 at 12:23AM   
charleee
I agree, I think I'd pass on that design idea.
December 10, 2012 at 3:28AM   
Natalie
I have seen it done quite often. If it's something you not prefer, then inform him/her and have it redesigned. I personally do not care for it because of the moisture issue. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
December 10, 2012 at 3:55AM   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Consider double closest on either side of the walk through instead of walking through the closet. That shouldn't reduce your storage space by much, just the thichness of the framing for the doors. You could also iliminate the framing for the doors by having built ins in the two sides with doors and drawer fronts.
December 10, 2012 at 4:07AM     
PRO
See sketch. Sorry, it's crude, but my design software is on the other computer.

If this isn't possible, put the door on either the right or left and one closet.
December 10, 2012 at 4:15AM   
PRO
Like this
December 10, 2012 at 4:21AM   
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Carolyn C has depicted what I was going to say. I designed a master bedroom/bath like this once, only because there was no other choice for everything that the client wanted. We did the first option she shows, with closets (his and hers) on each side. I specified wide, by-pass closet doors so that there was no infringement on either side with a swinging door. Is it optimum? Probably not, but it worked. If you go with this, make sure you have good ventilation in the bathroom. I would never design an OPEN closet that you had to walk through - unless maybe it's one of those $75K ones!
December 10, 2012 at 6:44AM     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
We see what Carolyn C has suggested pretty frequently here - meaning closets on either side of the entrance into the bath. I would not want to walk through my closet to get to the bath.
December 10, 2012 at 7:03AM     
Grace Reed
Frankly, I'm concerned with the advice you're getting from the architect (unless I've misunderstood that advice). Ask any real estate sales person, doing that will kill you're re-sale value. Don't do it!
December 12, 2012 at 3:16PM   
Margaret Phillips
I've seen it a lot, some love it and for some like me it could really be a deal breaker. I just don't like the idea of looking at all that. That and walking through the laundry room from the garage are pet peeves. I worked with a builder when I was a Realtor building extremely high end homes. It was a bear sometimes.
December 12, 2012 at 4:37PM